1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Shane Battier vs. James Posey

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by munco, Jun 29, 2006.

1. munco

munco Member

I think another reason this deal does not excite me is because we had James Posey. Battier is better than Posey, but I also feel their games are very similiar .

I feel that like Posey, Battier is a good defender that has a good 3 point shot. But I also see another 10/5 guy. Again, Battier > Posey, but that's not saying too much.

Do you guys think that Battier is significantly better than Posey?

2. lost_elephant

lost_elephant Contributing Member

Battier is more like Jim Jackson from 2 years ago. He's a strong swingman who isn't quick enough to gaurd most twos.

3. clutch citizen

clutch citizen Contributing Member

Honestly, I think Posey's defense is better than Battier's. as far as knocking down a three, however, I'd pass the ball to Batts.

4. WallofYao

WallofYao Member

Yeah I think Battier > Posey, I like Battier and all.. but we're giving to much..

5. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

I like Battier game, I just keep holding out hope we are getting someone else in this deal

6. opticon

opticon Member

Battier's offensive game is more consistent but posey's defence is much better. The whole nation so the hurting he put on dirk. Dirk pretty much averaged 20 or so points per game the whole series with miami but he never went off for 30+ points.

7. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

I've made the Posey comparison, and at worst that is what Shane will be here.

A rotating defender and spot up shooter.

I'm banking he'll be a little better than that, though.

8. JeopardE

JeopardE Contributing Member

Errr. I think Posey's defense is a little overrated (let the Heat championship euphoria calm down a little). I'd give more of the credit to Udonis Haslem and Pat Riley's excellent defensive schemes (even Shaq coming out to help at times). Not knocking Posey's defensive skills -- but the claim that Posey is clearly a better defender than Battier is a reach IMHO.

And Battier is definitely better offensively. He actually has some post up game, and is clearly a more efficient scorer. It's understandable to make comparisons between the two, but there shouldn't be any doubt overall that Battier is better.

9. TheBigSleep

TheBigSleep Member

Battier is as good as Posey but with better offense. Im not convinced Posey is better than Battier defensively, but I am convinced Battier is far superior offensively, especially at hitting the spot up 3.

10. Rocketeer

Rocketeer Contributing Member

Posey is a much better on the ball defender. He plays the passing lanes extremely well too.

11. Roxer

Roxer Member

hell not, Battier << Posey

posey has proved himself as good defender and 3 pts shooter with big heart, well, what Battier shows?? :confused:

remember Posey was in our team, who let him go?? :confused:

now he slap on his own face, listen,, pa~ pa~ pa~, u hear that?

12. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

We should have kept Posey...but Battier is better than Posey.

DD

13. TizzyT

TizzyT Member

Battier can fill up the stat sheet on a consistant basis.
    Posey doesn't quite fill up the stat sheet like Battier does.

14. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

I'm not so sure Battier is better. Posey took twice as many 3's per game and shot a better percentage. I also think he's quicker on the defensive end.

15. Pulp

Pulp Member

speaking of 3pt shooting
    while they have almost identical %
    do note that Posey takes twice as many shots as Battier

16. Matt78777

Matt78777 Contributing Member

I think battier will average higher than 10 points, just because he only took seven shots last season. Other than his rookie year, he really has not gotten many shots. Look for his avg to go up and fg % to go down. The x factor is how far down his % goes. If yao and tmac stay healthy, it shouldn't go too far.

I think a better comparison might be bruce bowen. Both were considered for the national team as consummate role players who play defense and hit the outside shot.

17. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Yes, Battier is very similar to today's Posey with one stark contrast, character.

The Posey that played with us did not have a good 3 point shot. He was erratic to say the least. He has improved his jump shot about as much as any single player that I've seen. Also, the Posey that played for us did not play with today's Yao.

Incidentally, before this trade, if there was a player that I felt would be a great fit here if we could have gotten him through free agency, it would be James Posey. I think Pose would have fit in great next to McGrady and Yao. But I think we got a better player than Posey. He's younger, he's a better defender, he's stronger, and he is even more versatile than Posey. And the best part is he is a much better leader than Posey will ever be. Battier is a tremendous addition to our team.

18. tone-weezy

tone-weezy Member

if he's better than Posey its "barely."

He's more versitle since he could play PF but other than that its a wash. He sure as hell isn't more productive and he's only a year younger.

19. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Anyone interested in seeing Shane Battier's clips should just sign up at www.mysynergysports.com. You can see virtually every single play he was invovled in in all of Memphis's games last season.

I've gone through a couple of his games. He doesn't have great quickness on the perimeter defensively (he's not Bruce Bowen or Ron Artest). I'm no so sure how effective he would be guarding some of the quicker 2-guards in the league. But he's an amazing team defender. Constantly moving, very alert. For a small forward, he contests a ton of shots around the basket. He appears to have quick hands and long arms as well. His ball denial, particularly on post ups, is excellent. And of course, it's known that he's amongst the league leaders in charges drawn. It's very easy to see why he's had such a drastic +/- impact on the defensive end in Memphis.

20. TheBigSleep

TheBigSleep Member

The quicker 2-guards in the league can barely be guarded by good SG defenders. I mean, Wade, Kobe, Allen are going to find a way to score on anyone.

I think Posey/Bowen are a little better at guarding 2's, and Battier is a little better guarding 4's-- which might be useful considering how poor Howard has been.