1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Shane Battier shouldn't be part of our future plans

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by W22_STREAK, Feb 21, 2010.

?

Would you have done this trade?

1. Yes

72 vote(s)
    56.7%
  2. No

55 vote(s)
    43.3%
  1. W22_STREAK

W22_STREAK Member

Shane is on the decline and won't be good enough to be a factor in any championship run we may have in the next few years in the Yao-era. Certainly nothing like the significant role hes playing now in the team anyways. with the development of ariza and the acquisition of kevin martin, battier will always be remembered as the single worst acquisition morey's charge at the helm, whether you may consider that trade and acquisition to be a mistake or not.

In my opinion, Battier is more than expendable. He should not be getting more than 30 minutes per game as he is getting now and I wouldnt complain even if he was taken out of the rotation. Hes just not good anymore and he hurts our offense worse than chuck hayes(chuck at least can facilitate the offense as a high post passer). Shane, although I love him as a person and a locker room guy, Im afraid is the single weak link in the team and is completely not suited to whatever offense adelman is running. Shane will be the player holding us back from the promised land.

To put my view of shane battier in perspective I have the following stats for you:

as many of us are frustrated with the losses piling on and on in recent weeks and months, despite whats been labelled as a "easy schedue after december", shane has put up the following performances in the run of "easy schedule" games:

for the months january

games 14
    minutes 34.4
    field goals: 2.5-7.2
    fg% 34.653
    3pointers: 1.2-3.9 (this is shanes bread and butter)
    3point %.309 (!)
    FTMA 1.4-2.0 67.857

I am sure he may have brought limitless intangibles to help our team, but those stats certainly do tell a story. I know shane cannot be quantified by stats alone, but were we winning any games? Surely winning games is the greatest indicator of them all...

On a side note, I would have LOVED for this trade to have gone down before the trade deadline:

This helps to restock our PF production after Carl is traded, and Troy Murphy's 12 million expiring contract next year will be the T-Mac expiring of 2011. It also enables us to utilise Brian Cook's expiring contract instead of letting it go to waste. If Tmac got us KMart and all those New York picks, imagine what Jefferies + Murphy can get us in the next off season. Murphy is also what Morey would have dreamed Steve Novak to have become, being a great floor spreader for Yao to enable the inside-outside game with Yao just like the Orlando Magic have done to lead to their recent success.

(flame suit on lol)

2. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

1) Best defender on the opponent's star player
    2) Makes team defense better
    3) Shoots 40 % from 3-point land
    4) Gets about a charge, a steal, a block per game

Keep Battier

3. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

His value in developing rookies, his offcourt demeanor, and his work ethic make him worth keeping.

Bit Ariza is a much better 1 on 1 defender at this point. Kevin Martin *should send Shane to the bench...

4. rocketblaze

rocketblaze Member

I would trade Battier for a 2010 draft pick in a heart beat... :eek:

--RB

5. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

bench him and make him a situational player

or

retire him and make him a coach if everyone keeps talking about how great of an influence he is

6. LCII

LCII Contributing Member

He's nearly worthless on the court at times, but he's still valuable offcourt and in the lockerroom. Whoever he guards goes off for +20 a night these days, not just Kobe. He still gets PT due to his reputation, but I hope Adelman does not stay too loyal to Battier and gives up his minutes to Ariza/Jeffries

7. W22_STREAK

W22_STREAK Member

That is all true with shane being a great mentor and a leader everywhere-- whether its on the court or off the court, but I believe its better to just sign a hardworking great character r veteran such as Raja Bell or Juwan Howard (;D) or Bruce Bowen or Ronny Turiaf etc to fulfill that role on a much cheaper cost. It comes to a point where the on court performance negatives outweights the positive contributions he gives off the court. Young teams for instance, such as the Oklahoma City Thunder, sign players such as Kevin Ollie just to mentor their young players. It would be too great of a cost to overpay for JUST veteran leadership when many productive players possess the same qualities.

8. Amshirvani

Amshirvani Contributing Member

Huh??

9. CaptainRox

CaptainRox Member

We shouldve definitely done this trade if it were really available. I actually wouldn't mind having Luther back either but ONLY if he comes cheap.

10. W22_STREAK

W22_STREAK Member

exactly.

if hes such a great bench influence and vocal, charming, smart leader then why not just let him do exactly that on the bench? Better still, just flip his ass to the bench and lockerroom and then he can go teach and influence and work his trade in the lockerroom and practise gym all he wants to his hearts content......cos apparently thats where he is most effective right? :eek: and let those others players thats been supposedly been so much affected and improved by his leadership and aura do the work for him on the court...if those players under his wing do well then shanes done his job right?

just keep shane off the court at all times. better still, morey should have just done that trade I proposed for troy murphy and lets see how shane "wins" on those pacers. that'll be a true test of his "winner everywhere he goes" fact, er, I mean, myth?

11. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Now you are just being silly. Obviously he shouldn't be starting, but he is a more than solid player in this league...

12. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

i think the amar'e offer made it clear he's important enough to stay in the rotation as long as he's here, but they're not going to keep him here just to be stubborn. He'll be traded if its necessary to improve the team and benched if necessary to improve the team. At this point neither has happened, so why not trust the staff knows he's helping the team and that Morey hasnt had a deal on the table for battier than benefited the team.

13. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

he means his opinion is a fact, but everyone's else's is just an opinion :)

14. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Its funny how we keep hearing about how he is worthless and how he will be gone by the next trading deadline, yet nothing ever seems to come from it. Its almost as if the people suggesting it don't understand what he brings to the team.

Also funny how a team like San Antonio essentially replaces a "declining" player in Bowen for a supposed "better" player in Jefferson, yet they instantly lose thier greatness as a team.

Frankly I cant think of a better player Id like to put on the court between Yao/Martin.

15. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I'm not against trading Shane,but not for the one the OP is suggesting. The addition of Martin will help him,but even the return of Yao will at best make us a 2nd round playoff team.

16. W22_STREAK

W22_STREAK Member

lol yea I admit I was less than mature in my last post. but sometimes emotion just takes over your fingers and you don't end up filtering whatever you end up typing on the keyboard. :grin: thats how strongly I felt against battier.......

but on the other hand, battier wouldn't even be a 6th man on a title team. James Posey isn't even the first guy off the bench in New Orleans...I give credit where credit is due, but his role on the team is too big. would you seriously complain if he was taken out of the rotation? I doubt you will hardly notice a difference.

17. W22_STREAK

W22_STREAK Member

I meant that? :confused: Sure, if you take my comments as facts, thats great! even though I never claimed things I write as anything more than my own view. but you may take it as a fact all you want :grin:

Battier is obviously isnt the most stellar morey got...............

18. W22_STREAK

W22_STREAK Member

unfortunately other teams wouldn't do that........

as morey said: you have to give up something in order to get something ;)

19. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Comparing him to posey? A guy who had trouble just getting off the bench on a team with an already weak bench? Posey just sucks badly thisyear, that's why he's having trouble getting PT. That's abad comparison to make this year. Even the usual anti-battier posters havent suggested they'd want posey instead of battier this season. Which is why the comparisons have shifted to Afflalo and Pietrus.

20. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Maybe you should clear it up instead? You stated your opinion, which is battier was the worst move, and then go on to say it's true regardless of what others think. That sounds like you're saying your opnion is true and everyone else's is false. Or at the very least that your opinion is more credible than everyone else's.