1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Shane Battier Overrated POS, good riddance

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Liberon, Jun 5, 2012.

1. bloodwings19

bloodwings19 Member

That POS is going to the Finals for many years, as a broadcaster. Will we be saying the same thing about Chandler Parsons years from now because a number of our Clutchfans believe he is another Battier.

2. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

Getting outplayed by guys older than him, who have to play both sides of the ball. Battier is just expected to defend and hit the corner 3, but hasn't done either.

3. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Shane battier's career PER is 9.3. He is one of the reasons why the Tmac and Yao era failed.

4. RedDynasty

RedDynasty Member

That has nothing to do with what he was talking about....

5. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Somebody please start a thread

"The Guide to Hating Battier"

6. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

Battier had some good years in Houston. And his defense was WELL above average for a good stretch of time.

However, I don't think that the Rockets teams that he played on were good enough offensively to have him getting significant minutes. IMO, that Rudy Gay trade... You know the one Rockets fans dismiss with the 'Win Now' excuss, was a mistake. There have been PLENTY on championship calibur teams with rookies/youth playing significant roles.

Grooming under JVG, I believe Gay would have developed nicely and brought more to the team then Battier ever did. But then again, JVG never played rookies. So...

7. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

One time during Shane's heyday with the Rockets, I called him a lazy player who works on one end of the floor and rests on the other, which allows his opponent to rest also. It's was the plain truth.

I don't blame him for it so much, but he's just never been very dedicated to basketball. That's why he flatlined.

8. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Lebron fans looking for a scapegoat. Nothing new.

9. 123Rockets

123Rockets Member

Too bad. I can:grin:

10. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

I certainly don't miss those days of this fool running to the corner to spot up for a 3 during the middle of a fast break.

11. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

the only POS i see here is the OP.

12. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

.....and then inexplicably bricking wide-open attempt after wide-open mf'ing attempt w/ no one even within 5ft of him

13. intergalactic

intergalactic Contributing Member

Battier looks old, slow, and too reliant on the charge now. But those who are trying to go back in time and say he wasn't a good role player are really reaching.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/b/battish01.html
    The only season in which his OffenseRating was worse than his DefenseRating was his rookie year (1/11 seasons), and he has a career ORtg:DRtg of 114:105.

Rudy Gay is better than Battier at this point in their careers. But for comparison, Rudy Gay has had a worse DRtg than ORtg in 4/6 seasons. His career Ortg:Drtg is 104:108.

Miami lost yesterday because no one on their team can match up with Garnett on either offense or defense.

#53 intergalactic, Jun 6, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2012
  14. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

If Battier and the "others" are going to get the blame for Miami's woes then the Miami folks are seiously out of touch.

Their halfcourt defense is great when they get their defense set. Thats even without having two or more big men on the floor for most of the series. Their transistion defense has been bad lately due to well.... hussle getting back, and not b****ing to the refs 99% of the time.

Battier has nothing to do with that.

On offense its a whole other story. Im not sure with Miami and their fans thought they were getting with Battier but it certainly wasnt going to come in form of an offensive jugernaut.

That being said the Miami offense literally makes me sick to my stomach to watch. Everyone crowds the 3 point like and Wade & James take turns trying to take their man 1 on 1. This is aweful 7th grade, pick up game style and I cannot believe they actually think they can win with this style of play even with 2 elite one on one players on their team.

Its ridiculous that one person gets the blame for that mess of a basketball organization (notice I didnt say team).

What I think is going to happen if they dont win the next two games-

Spoelstra will be let go in favor of a more seasoned head coach that can actually run a system that works for their 3 core guys. Jerry Sloan's name could surface sometime in the Summer or Riley himself could come down from the owners box to give it a go himself even though I dont think he would be a great fit either. They need a new basketball SYSTEM because what that organization has now will never win a championship with that current group of superstars with super powers that will decline in the next couple years.

I DO NOT think they will trade James/Wade. Maybe Bosh but I highly doubt it. He's actually the bright spot on their roster to move forward with.

15. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

He's not a POS, but I always thought he was way overrated while in Houston.

Saying he had intangibles is just a nice way of saying he had no game.

16. Asian Sensation

Let's see... He's 33 years old and played 4 years of college ball. That's a lot of miles on the body especially when you're guarding the best opposing wing player night in and night out. Obviously he never put up big numbers and he wasn't very quick or athletic to begin with but it's quite apparent what little he had is basically all gone. Battier made the most of his marginal talents with hustle and smart play. I wasn't the biggest fan of his and I thought he was over-praised by some while he was here but he's hardly a POS.

17. acsorelle4

acsorelle4 Member

His career entered the zombie stage in the 2009 playoffs. Foot injury killed it, alleged intangibles brought it forth from the grave to a perpetual state of walking undead. The only thing that cna end it is a bullet to the brain (his or the collective NBA GM's).

18. kidcave9

kidcave9 Contributing Member

"You's shane Battier, your lame"-j.Cole

Thought this was the crappy lyrics thread.

19. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

U see a guy like stephen jackson who is a championship role player who is older than battier. That's been my thing. Posters on this board want to use +/- and all these other metrics,but a guy like captain jack helped upset the mavs and helped sa win a title. He's a baller and shane is a radio personality.

20. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

He's only a great defender when there is a 7'5'' center on the court changing shots. The Heat need a 7'5'' center.