1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

shane battier or joe johnson?

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by HeyDude, May 18, 2001.

1. HeyDude

HeyDude Contributing Member

I know the rockets would probably have to move up to get either one of them, but if it happens, who is a better choice?
    shane seems like a good fit cause he plays D, and can shoot the 3 ball. but joe johnson has been compared to lamar odom!! most impressive is his ball-handling skills at 6-8. i can just imagine our fast breaks with him alongside cuttino and steve!!
    seems like a tough choice...

------------------
    Howdy Partner!

2. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Joe Johnson could be around at 13, maybe, possibly. Battier definitely won't.

If he is an Odom type, then I wonder how he could possibly fall to 13, but that would be great.

Either one would be fine with me. Battier for intangibles/leadership; Johnson because he can handle the ball and fastbreak and play 3 spots on the floor.

Does anyone have a handle on Johnson's D? 'Cause we're gonna need some with Webber or Mo at the 4.

------------------

3. rocketsfan

rocketsfan Member

The likeliest pick would be Shane Battier but personally I would love the Rockets to select Joe Johnson. I seen this kid play and he is going to be a very good player if given time. He is very versatile.

Joe Johnson has my vote.

------------------
    take it one day at a time

4. floyd

floyd Member

We need someone to rebound the ball every once in a while for a fast break to be effective. And if Stevie is the one getting all the rebounds for the team, it kinda defeats the purpose.

But to stay on topic, I'd have to say Battier.

------------------

[This message has been edited by floyd (edited May 18, 2001).]

5. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Battier is a lot like Lamar Odom.

Now, they've both been compared to Odom. [​IMG]

------------------
    RealGM
    Gafford Art
    Artisan Cakes

6. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

The scary thing about Joe Johnson is he has been compared to the Old Penny Hardaway. Now thats dangerous.

------------------
    President of the Steve Francis, Jamal Crawford,Larry Hughes, and Charles Woodson fan club.

7. steviefranchise

I have read great things about joe johnson on this board and other sites....however, when reading the underclass rankings on espn....they say that while he is talented that he will probably be a late first rounder.....this is odd to me seeing as how many people on this board are talking about moving up from our current 13 spot (unless we are lucky on sunday) to get him....what do y'all think?...are we playing the guy up too much....or is espn just missing the boat on this guy?

------------------

8. enbehay

enbehay Member

Shane B is the better choice in the short term, but Joe Johnson will be the superior player and is a better fit for the Rockets. Johnson doesn't have the foot speed or jets of Jefferson but is equal to or better than Battier. (I've watched them both on the tube.) Shane seems to know where the ball is going, and Johnson seems to know where the ball should go. However, both will be gone by #9.

------------------

9. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Never seen the guy play, but I think that the general idea around here is that he's a guy who is shooting up the draft boards, much like Jamal Crawford last year. The thought, then, would be that the massive behemoth of sports reporting that is ESPN would not be nimble enough to keep up with the latest changes and thus, would be reporting old rankings before Johnson's rapidly rising value. Whether this is true or not, I have no idea.

------------------

10. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I don't understand why is Joe Johnson's stock rising so quickly,is it because of his potential or because he has made improvements in his game since the end of the college season?
    He certainly is talented and can play at multiple positions, but the knock on him is that at times he is passive and inconsistant.The other thing that worries me is that I have heard he wants to play as a guard in the NBA and not as a small forward.
    Battier is a natural small forward and is the the most mature player in the draft,although there are many players that are more talented than him.

------------------

11. Bay Rock

Bay Rock Member

Joe Johnson

------------------

12. tacoma park legend

tacoma park legend Contributing Member

Joe Johnson. I'd rather the Rockets draft based on potential for once. They too often go for the "you know what you're getting" players.

------------------

13. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

tacomah,

what is wrong with trading down to bypass potential and get what you expect, plus another pick.

Can we say Pryzbilla for Colliler and a the 22nd this year?

That is as successful a draft as anyone drafting below #9 last year.

If CD and Rudy bypass potential, it will be in the form of trading down, by all accounts on this board from oeilpere and Doc Rocket. I have no problems with that.

Plus note, that drafting for potential always means they have equal potential for busting. imo, successful drafting in the mid-to-late picks is based on finding a 10yr NBA player. CD/Rudy are as successful as any at this. You can always trade them later, but trading busts is hard.

[This message has been edited by heypartner (edited May 19, 2001).]

14. tacoma park legend

I wasn't trying to criticize the Rocket's draft from last year, because despite my initial disappointment, it turned out to be a very wise move as they now have more options in maneuvering in this year's draft by having the 22nd pick.

Also, on last year's draft, you have to take into account that that was one of the worst drafts ever.

I shouldnt have said "for once", because I was referring specifically to the 98-99 draft where they bypassed Rashard Lewis and many other very good players to select Mirscad(bust) and Bryce Drew. I know they needed a point guard, so Drew made sense, but Mirscad? I heard he showed great shooting skill in private workouts, but he would have made no impact to the Rockets that year either way, so I would have rather the team invested in a project who could have provided major contributions in the future, and that player could have been Lewis. I knew Lewis would be this successful because I had seen his the kind of work ethic he possesed in person while he was at Elsik.

My feeling is that though Joe Johnson and Shane Battier might have similar effects on this team if drafted, that Joe Johnson has the ability to make great strides as a player whereas Battier does not. Battier doesn't have the physical gifts to improve his game dramatically, and though his talent level is by no means shabby, he's not the kind of player who is going to catapult your team into contention, and if we don't get a very good free agent this summer, I really hope they draft for potential.

I really don't see the Rockets trading down, especially this year.

------------------

[This message has been edited by tacoma park legend (edited May 19, 2001).]

15. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Battier

A knock on him is that he'll only have average NBA athletism. Limited improvement due to this.

He plays superb defense outside and inside (maybe not so well against NBA PFs). His charges taken, steals, and blocks total is probably around 5.5 per game, not many players have this potential much less reach it. If you had 5 guys doing this, thats 27 possessions not reaching the rim.

He shoots .419 with 296 attempts from behind the arc, and .535 from inside. He is tall enough and quick enough to get his shot off in the NBA. With his work ethic, he should be able to increase his range to the NBA mark. He averaged 9.5 ppg on threes alone...

He has the potential to be 95% the shooter Allan Houston is. Noone ever talks about a player's jump shot potential. I've never seen this new JJ, but Battier is potentially the best shooting NBA SF who also also helps out defensively and on the boards.

I'm not knocking JJ. I hated Battier throught college because he made Duke so good. Sometime during this past college season I thought "Man, Rudy would kill for this guy"...I then started to cheer for Duke despite them not being a Texas team or an underdog.

------------------

16. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

I hope Battier dosen't turn out to be another T. Langdon. Because he had the same type of hype coming out of Duke.

------------------
    President of the Steve Francis, Jamal Crawford,Larry Hughes, and Charles Woodson fan club.

17. tacoma park legend

Sure, Battier might have a nice shot, but he doesn't have a quick release. He is a set shoooter. It's important that the small forward the Rockets draft have a quick release, because I think that is important in Rudy's system. I'd be happy if we got either one of them.

------------------

18. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Langdon's problem is that he's WAAY undersized for a 2, and by no means can he play PG.

Battier is an absolute sure thing. He'll be a solid NBA roleplayer, with excellent defense, and the ability to stick the open 3. He's everything we want from Shandon-great defense, perfect SF size, and the ability to nail open shots, as well as run the floor. He's not going to average 20, but expecting ~13-6 for most of his career is a pretty sure bet.

Battier vs. Joe Johnson? Tough call, I wouldn't mind either, Johnson's potential is outstanding. I'd say Battier though

------------------
    "That's been a lifelong dream of mine." -Vince Carter, after laying it in on a breakaway, much to the Vancouver crowd's displeasure.

19. jasongibson15

jasongibson15 Member

Battier, I'm from NC and i am a die hard Tarheel fan but I went to a Duke coaches clinic and got to attend 5 Duke practices and Battier is the real deal. Smartest player I've ever seen and i've seen and played with some great ones. Battier is a feirce competitor and awesome leader who will make a solid pro player. That being said GO TARHEELS. GO HORNETS game 7 starts in a minute and i'm ready. JoeJoe that was a very good assesment of Langdon VS Battier

------------------

[This message has been edited by jasongibson15 (edited May 20, 2001).]

20. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

thx guys.

------------------