1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Shane Battier is the anti-Robert Horry (second try)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rockbox, May 3, 2007.

1. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Sorry clutch,

I forgot to add the table tags. I tried to edit it but you locked the thread before I could.

So here is my rant again without tables.

One coasts during the season and turns in on in the playoffs. He's been to at least the second round in all 15 seasons as a pro with 6 rings to go on his hands(plural) and is extremely underrated and clutch

The other one goes all out during the regular season and just consistently chokes in the playoffs. He's never won a playoff game until this year and is way overratted for his intangibles and is not clutch.

Here are the stats to prove it

Career Averages G GS MPG FG% 3P% FT% OFF DEF RPG APG SPG BPG TO PF PPG
    Battier Career Playoffs 17 13 29.9 .448 .385 .526 1.4 2.9 4.4 1.0 0.7 0.6 1.18 3.50 7.3
    Battier Career Regular Season 478 361 33.0 .453 .392 .748 1.7 3.0 4.7 1.8 1.2 1.0 1.08 2.60 10.4
    Horry Career Playoff 216 116 29.7 .433 .364 .718 1.8 4.1 5.9 2.5 1.2 0.9 1.24 3.10 8.7
    Horry Career Regular Season 1062 475 24.9 .426 .344 .728 1.5 3.3 4.9 2.2 1.1 0.9 1.28 2.50 7.2

Horry's stats go up in every category during the playoffs while Battier's goes down.

2. MLittle577

MLittle577 Contributing Member

he sure was bricking pretty good tonight. even reefer played decently

3. Summer Song Giver

Shane has brought nothing to the playoffs other than a couple of wide open threes knocked down that most NBDL shotters would prolly hit at a better clip, plus Shane is the biggest flopper in the league. I gotta think Rudy Gay's youth and athleticism would be very helpful at this point. Trade ranks right up there with passing on Bush and Young last year.

4. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

You people are horrible. I don't even know how to tear you apart.

5. piggy

piggy Member

To be fair, Horry played on teams with Hakeem, Shaq/Kobe, and Tim Duncan and co. On those teams, he was able to role play and take his shots when the defense slacked off him. Shane played on a dysfunctional Griz team for most of his career. This year has yet to play out, but so far Shane has been more of an integral part of this team because of a serious drop off in talent on the roster.

Shane's play this year has sold me on that trade and I was hopping mad on draft night. He has been exactly what he was billed as, and I think we need him.

We also need an infusion of talent and/or cajones on this squad.

6. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

I'm not saying he is a bad player. I'm just saying that we can't depend on him to step up. He is not our X factor for sure.

7. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

You won't confuse him with the likes of a Chuck "Rifleman" Person or anything. Shane's a good guy, but he's not exactly an offensive juggernaut. Mike Miller would've been a better fit for this offense, definitely. Battier's proven that his shot is streaky at best.

8. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

Shane Battier is our glue guy.

9. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Shane is a decent player but he is vastly overrated on this board.

My main problem with him has always been that he disappears in big games.

By my count, he has showed up only once so far in 10 playoff games.

10. langal

langal Contributing Member

I wish we tanked a few last year and picked up Brandon Roy.

11. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

Give me a break.

Offensively, Shane Battier and the rest of the role players on this team for that matter will only thrive when Mcgrady is successful at penetrating and commands help and Yao is getting into position, hitting his shots, forcing double teams, and not turning the ball over. Neither Mcgrady nor Yao has done those things at the same time in any of the losses in this series, so the openings for the rest of our team disappears right along with them.

Shane Battier hasn't disappeared, he's just having to take tougher shots because our stars are not doing what they are supposed to do. Head disappeared in games one and two, but in three and four he wasn't getting all the looks he normally does. We saw in game five that when our stars performed, the rest of the team started hitting too.

12. TTRocket

TTRocket Contributing Member

The problem is the role players around Shane Battier are just not good enough.

13. KAS13

KAS13 Contributing Member

The role players around Shane Battier? Uh, Battier is a role player. Our role players surround Yao and TMac.

14. cheshire

cheshire Contributing Member

Houston's role players live and die by the perimeter shot. If it is on, it gives Yao and T-mac room to operate, dominate and win the game.

When it is off, we lose!

I know comparing the 2007 squad and the championship squads of the 90's is a long stretch but I always remember come crunchtime, there was always someone who had Hakeem's back, who can be a spark, hit clutch shots, produce some points, help Hakeem out on D....Sadly I cannot see anyone in the 2007 squad who have Yao/Mac's back.

I'm praying we make it to the next round just so the Rockets' psyche isn't shot to bits.

Make no mistake...the roster must be overhauled in the off-season. We need legit starters next Yao/Mac and a quality bench.

15. Faos

Faos Contributing Member

16. carolbmt

carolbmt Contributing Member

How many charges does he have to take before you notice him? Blocked shots? How about his TEAM defense? He's just one of the most respected "roll players" in the league and has been a big part of getting home court advantage. You're expecting too much from Battier and not enough from our superstars.

17. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

You've gotta be kidding me. Obviously you haven't been watching any of the games or you would see what he brings to the table night in and night out. Shane's the LAST guy to be gettind down on.

18. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

Seriously! He can't make Kirilenko cry every night.

19. rv2843

rv2843 Member

Shane might be a very good role player, however, 4points and 1 for 6 field goals is simply not acceptable.

20. Ehsan

Ehsan Member

For the money we pay Battier I expect ALL the intangibles he brings PLUS some tangibles. It's very reasonable to ask him to score 10ppg on a 45% clip. Considering the attention our stars receive, he should be able to do that.

I absolutely despise when people stick to the notion that he brings all the intangibles. Yeah well, that's fine and dandy, but that's not all we're asking for. I don't want another Ryan Bowen. I want a Ryan Bowen who can chip in some points, rebounds, steals, blocks and defense.

I think this team would be much more succesful at this point with a high-scoring PG who can penetrate while being Rafer's backup.