1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Shane Battier appreciation thread.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by topfive, Feb 24, 2011.

1. AggieRocketsFan

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/xiClOp-RYhU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

2. AggieRocketsFan

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/bXlc4w14fNM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

3. worzel gummidge

Unrestricted free agent and no worries about his cap hold. If the Rockets want him back they can if they want to.

4. bullardfan

bullardfan なんでやねん

I wouldn't know whether to laugh or cry if they did win it all. I mean they came away with Battier and Gay and we were left with a project...
    However, it would be nice to see them take down the Lakers and whoever comes out of the East. Battier would prolly retire as a Grizzly though if he got a ring there.

5. CrazyDave

CrazyDave Contributing Member

Some people don't care, but he's the kind of player that makes me more proud of my team, and a big reason that our guys have been motivated enough to out hustle other "more talented" teams out there the past few seasons.

I will miss having him on the team, no matter how much a move like this might make sense.

6. acshen

acshen Contributing Member

Thanks dude you'll be a Rocket at heart

7. acsorelle4

acsorelle4 Member

How are they going to sell all those pink jerseys? He will be truly missed . . . by all the female Rocket fans.

In fairness though, I liked him. Great guy to have AT THE RIGHT PRICE (ie. not 8 mil).

8. anchel

anchel Member

Very tough. I hope to see him again in a Rocket uniform.

9. JimRaynor55

JimRaynor55 Member

I didn't know much about Shane Battier before he joined the Rockets, other than some vague statements that about fundamentals. I quickly became a convert after seeing him play, and reading up on him. It was good to see a guy like him, who lacked athleticism and traditional "All-Star" like skills, make such a big impact. I was really impressed when I saw him defending Kobe by blocking his eyes, and even more so after reading "The No-Stats All-Star" article. Shane Battier is a thinking man's NBA player, and a nice guy as well. He will be missed.

10. _RTM_

_RTM_ Member

Shane was a heart and soul. He was the smartest player in this team that did everything he could to win a game. I don't like the trade and I don't like that he was traded to Memphis, no to real contender. This guy deserves a ring and I hope that he would get it

Good luck to your family, I'll be following your career. Stay healthy and make your team better, even if it's Memphis

Respect 4 life for U mister Battier

11. _RTM_

_RTM_ Member

I am proud that those kind of person was a team captain for our Rockets

12. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Sad day for the Rockets.

13. bloop

bloop Member

Damn, hate to see him go.

14. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

I will miss Battier.

Hayes is now the only player left who played under JVG.

15. Sonny

Sonny Contributing Member

Love ya Shane. You are what every NBA player should hope to be. You'll make a great coach and politician one day. You've got my vote. :grin:

16. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

Thanks Shane. The Rockets will be gone fishing but genuine good luck in the playoffs.

Now...where are those posters who (for years) wanted to arm wrestle about Battier's value as an expiring contract and/or to a playoff contender? Guess none of the playoff contenders had a spare Thabeet they wanted to throw away. :p :grin:

17. Dei

Dei Member

The guy just wouldn't score, though. It's not like he couldn't - he was tall, had relatively good handles, high IQ. His first season here, he did a lot of offense - not in ppg but the shots he took had a lot more variety. I don't know why he fell off and started camping in the corners.

18. H-Town Rockets Guy

Shane was brought here to be the glue guy, the ultimate role player, with the Superstars TMac and Yao. but injuries derailed all our championship dreams.
    I was hoping that he can go to the Spurs, Lakers, or the Celtics, so he can have a chance to win. A team like Thunder should have tried to get him, because he will be a great compliment player to those young players.
    THANK YOU Shane Battier for the wonderful memories especially the Lakers series and 22 game winning streak.

19. theimpossibles1

20. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

[​IMG]

I can't believe he's gone!
    :(