1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[SHAMS] Rockets trading for Patty Mills (update : traded)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by mikol13, Jul 1, 2023.

1. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

The one good thing is that this likely isn't a franchise destroying move. It is, however, really bad and humiliating.

Another worry I have after watching all this is that Stone seems comfortable trading with Presti and I really don't like that. Stone is not a Top-30 and not a Top 40 guy. There's no way he would even be considered for other GM jobs. You can tell just by his demeanor and (lack of) communications style. I get the owner had few options when Mordey left, but come on.

Stone was never in contention for the Cadillac El Dorado and definitely missed the steak knives. He should get the third prize though.[​IMG]

2. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

So Presti trades for the guys Stone drafted. Hmm.

topfive likes this.
  3. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Stone is pretty good at drafting good prospects. But he's every suspect in negotiation and assets management. He's almost like the mirror opposite of Morey.

theDude, Plowman and Yung-T like this.
  4. eliefor3

eliefor3 Member

It's the nba, first round busts happen more so than first round hits especially outside of the lottery

5. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Ultimately I don't think losing JC, Garuba and TyTy means much in the grand scheme, they both have great role player upside at best IMO.

Still, looking at long term asset management, we gave away 3 first round picks, and 5 second round picks....for basically nothing. It is sooo f**king bad, like, incomprehensibly bad. Stone literally has no plan B, if plan A fails he scrambles.

On the flip side, OKC did the exact opposite and grabbed young prospects for basically nothing.

6. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Presti: I heard you were a genius at numbers. A Master Statistician!
    Stone: It is the jelly to my legal jam!
    Presti: Well I got some hot prospects with ::snickers:: excellent spreadsheets attached...
    Stone: I've already dotted the I's and crossed the T's, my man!

:: Knock Knock ::

Patty: I'm here for the g*ngbang. Word on the street was that this is the place to be!

7. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

From : NBA free agency shenanigans: The eight nerdiest things that happened

2. Patty Mills, TyTy Washington and Usman Garuba: Teammates, and opponents
    Overnight on Friday, a funny thing happened: Patty Mills, TyTy Washington and Usman Garuba were traded with each other, from Houston, in a five-team trade. And then, immediately after, Mills, Washington and Garuba were traded for each other, with Mills landing in Atlanta and the other two in Oklahoma City.

Wait, what?!?!?

You read this correctly. Mills had only minutes earlier been traded from Brooklyn to Houston (try to keep up) as part of a wild cap-aggregation move by the Rockets (more on that below). Garuba and Washington were already on the Rockets’ roster, and they were included in the clubs’ subsequent sign-and-trade for Dillon Brooks, which included four other teams: Atlanta, Oklahoma City, Memphis and the Clippers. Mills went to Oklahoma City, while the other two went to Atlanta.

Here’s the thing: When that trade was completed, the Thunder and Hawks still weren’t done. So Atlanta then sent Garuba, Washington, Rudy Gay and a draft pick to the Thunder for Mills.

Could they have done this as part of the original trade? Yes, but there was no real advantage. Doing it this way allowed the Hawks to create two small trade exceptions for Washington and Garuba. Additionally, Oklahoma City would have had to do some roster gymnastics to generate enough cap room to take in all three players they ended up receiving. But the Thunder had just enough spare cap room to take Mills, and then could trade him for the Gay-Garuba-Washington package as an over-the-cap team (more on this below).

Easy and BHannes2BHonest like this.
  8. BHannes2BHonest

BHannes2BHonest 2 SOLID FOR WEIRD AZZES

That reminds me of fleecing my little brother and his friends for trading cards lol.

Stone just needs to learn from these mistakes

BamBam, randerson and clos4life like this.