1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Shams - Philly offered Simmons/Thybulle + draft compensation. Did we make the right deal?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ThatBoyNick, Jan 13, 2021.

?

Which package would you have prefered?

Poll closed Jan 18, 2021.
  1. Nets package

177 vote(s)
    50.4%
  2. Phillys package

174 vote(s)
    49.6%
  1. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

3-5

D-rock and hakeem94 like this.
  2. Jalen Green OnlyFan

3. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

Just have to be a little lucky. Hopefully the tail end of the Brooklyn draft picks produce some lottery picks. If not, let's hope that's while we are growing as a team and likely missing the playoffs, that we can get lucky these next two years while we don't have draft picks we owe to others.

4. Mathloom

Mathloom Contributing Member

He can guard the 4/5 doesn't mean he can play the 4/5.

If you can play the 4/5 and can't shoot, you should be willing to give up ball handling and set a high volume of picks like a Draymond does. He doesn't do that.

This is the problem with Simmons. Yes there are so many possibilities, but all of them are choked by his teenager-like protectiveness of bad habits as though they are core personality elements. Those choices give his teammates less spacing and thus less efficiency, which negates the extra few assists he gives you (in comparison to any average 5-6 assist PG).

It's not about what he can't do, it's about what he won't do by choice. Would rather commit $30m to Wood than Simmons.

5. omgTHEpotential

He's getting absolutely torched by the centers.

[​IMG]

He's only doing well against the stretch bigs.

[​IMG]

#1725 omgTHEpotential, Sep 4, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2021
  6. Mathloom

Mathloom Contributing Member

Yeah but most of the bigs are stretch now, and more will become. By the end of this season, Kevin Durant will be a C. Simmons will be fine.

Batum was a poor shooting PG and is now a C. I see Simmons the same, he should always have been a secondary playmaker, first option to set picks, and paired with a big who can shoot. Until he learns how to shoot.

7. roslolian

roslolian Member

Batum can shoot. Simmons cant. Barum is also making vet min Simmons is making super max.

When you need to argue if a super max player is a net positive on the floor, thats a bad player bro. Super Max players need to do more than just be a net positive, they should be game breakingly positive because of how much they cost. You judge a janitor's performance different from a CEO's.

8. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

D-rock likes this.
  9. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

10. i3artow i3aller

11. D-rock

D-rock Member

Are you suggesting that there is Kyrie for Simmons trade in the works?

ApacheWarrior likes this.
  12. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Just curious. Why would the Nets want Simmons? How does he fit?

13. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

They need more defense, and they don't really need Kyrie's offense. And I guess they have two top 5 players to hopefully keep Simmons's stinky attitude in check.

D-rock and steddinotayto like this.
  14. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

This. Basically if they role with a starting 5 of:

Aldrige
    Durant
    Harris
    Harden
    Simmons

Ben would have more than enough offensive weapons to make up for his lack of scoring. In that scenario he can be the secondary ball handler to Harden's primary role, but once Harden sits or the second unit comes in, Simmons can go back to being the primary ball handler with the group consisting of Claxton, Griffin, Patty Mills, Brown, etc. On defense he would guard the opposing team's best player without a lot of issues.

Kyrie is great and all but I'm a believer of Patty Mills being able to give the Nets 70% of what Irving can give them which is better than what Kyrie is projected to give them (e.g. 0% in home games and whatever he is going to give on away games).

Easy likes this.
  15. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Thanks. Sounds like Simmons might actually be a good fit if he can get over his I want my own team bs. I don’t think its nearly as potent a big three offensively, but not a terrible downgrade. This is Harden and Durant’s team. If both stay healthy they will be NBA Champions this year.

D-rock, Easy and steddinotayto like this.
  16. steddinotayto

Kyrie is a fantastic offensive player and he was carrying the load in the playoffs while Harden was hurt until he himself got hurt. But one of the best traits a player (role or superstar) can have is just availability. If Kyrie misses home games in the regular season he'll have to miss those same games in the playoffs and that's when you really can't afford to not have continuity.

As for Simmons...he won't get to have his own team but he gets to play in a bigger market, plays on a title contending team, and won't need to hear all the criticisms re: his offense as long as Durant, Harden, Mills, Harris, etc stay healthy. If he does his part (e.g. be that secondary ball handler and play elite defense) and Brooklyn wins it all, the sports world will forget what happened in Philly and he can squeeze another max contract out of Brooklyn or another team when the time comes.

The Lakers are gearing up to counter small ball with huge lineups and, by swapping Irving out for Simmons, Brooklyn now has the personnel to play against the Lakers if they stay big.

D-rock likes this.
  17. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

All pretty logical, although I don’t think it matters about the Lakers. I don’t think they make it out of the West. Westbrook is a terrible fit next to Lebron. I think odds are that one of Lebron or AD gets hurt. As good as Lebron is, I think his NBA career is finally winding down.

D-rock, luckyman76 and steddinotayto like this.
  18. steddinotayto

Valid points but until either LeBron or AD or both gets hurt I can't count them out lol.

19. D-rock

D-rock Member

I'm asking because it is an odd thread to drop Kyrie news.

20. D-rock

D-rock Member

Nets should start another 3-D player like Brown instead of Aldridge IMO.