1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Shams - Philly offered Simmons/Thybulle + draft compensation. Did we make the right deal?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ThatBoyNick, Jan 13, 2021.

?

Which package would you have prefered?

Poll closed Jan 18, 2021.
  1. Nets package

177 vote(s)
    50.4%
  2. Phillys package

174 vote(s)
    49.6%
  1. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

Ill do wall+House+pistons 1st+Bucks 1st+Wizards 1st if they want.

DonatelloLimestone and D-rock like this.
  2. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

D-rock, BHannes2BHonest and roslolian like this.
  3. roslolian

roslolian Member

4. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

That's the biggest red flag with Simmons of all. It's not that he can't shoot, it's that he's unwilling to put in the work to shoot better.

pugsly8422, dmoneybangbang and Ramo$e like this.
  5. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

6. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Morey is a smart GM. But he has always underestimated the value of character, or how detrimental flawed character can downgrade the value of an otherwise great talent. His reluctance to give up more assets to get the Simmons for Harden trade done is looking worse and worse.

jcmoon, ElDobleK, csnerd84 and 4 others like this.
  7. T FOR 3!!!

T FOR 3!!! Member

Yikes… It honestly may be because he’s so sure he’s going to be traded. It’s been reported by several reliable sources that they are trying like crazy to move him.

Doesn’t explain why he’s been out of touch in previous offseasons though.

D-rock likes this.
  8. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

It’s a weird world we live in. The guy makes ungodly amounts of money. Takes no shots in a playoff series. Then essentially no call no show at work after. It’s good to be tall.

9. DonatelloLimestone

He hasn't improved on offense since he came out of the gates as a roy, but he has gotten better at defense to the point where he can legit guard 1-5 and do so at a very high level.
    His offense was stagnant, but thisteam built for embiid is not the right fit for him. I'm sitll a believe that you take him in the right situation be it a high pot like golden state or a 4 spread offense lke MDA and he is going to continue being a solid all star. Not to mention he impacts the game in almot EVERY single way or is elite at everything outside of shooting. He has size, athleticism, amazing perimiter defender, steals, rebounds, blocks....great passer and vision and a solid finisher. His hole that has tanked his value is obviously shooting and this summer he'll have to dig himself out of that but the guy is a unique talent. I get he had a terrible year so everyones falling on him, hell they did that to paul in 2019, they did it to giannis getting swept last year as an mvp or even this year when he wasn't makng his free throws, but things can still happen in the nba.

His value is at its lowest now, but yet I still see why hes an all star and elite player but you have ot just specially cater to build around him and when you have embiid it makes no sense.

Sixers aready let it be known they are trying to trade him i dont think its surprising they arent having summer camp

10. BHannes2BHonest

BHannes2BHonest 2 SOLID FOR WEIRD AZZES

Glad I died on this Hill like the 50.4% of CF lol

Work ethic is the most important skill when determining who to draft, especially with lottery picks. Another reason it seems like Green should be the pick if we stay at 2 …

Not afraid to go the G league route as a pioneer but it also shows he doesn’t want to waste time in college and start working on his craft 24/7

11. DonatelloLimestone

Yea thats the worrying thing with mobley. You can have all the tools, but we need to learn you're mental approach and attitude to growth to really determine if you're going to be great at the high picks.

Man, what a year 2020 was:

"
    The counterargument is that the Rockets have an expensive and aging roster, but aren't genuine championship contenders. They don't have many avenues for improvement, since they have traded away so many first-round picks and have so few young players. One reason to blow it up is that Harden's trade value might never be higher.

Fertitta, however, said that he doesn't see it that way.

"This is still our window, the next couple years," he said. "James and Russell are in their early 30s. We're not blowing up anything. We plan on contending. I always said you want to set yourself up to be one of the top four teams in your conference each year and then it takes a little luck to win. You look at every year, it always takes a little luck.

"So, we're going to set ourselves up to make the moves, to be one of the top teams. We're going to do whatever we have to do to win. I can promise that to my fans and compete for the NBA championship this year.""

D-rock likes this.
  12. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

13. DonatelloLimestone

If somehow Fox decides hes done in Sacramento, hes a houstonian I would absolutely trade kpj or whoever I could for him. Fox is another real deal that some may say 'hasnt led his team for the playoffs' in that abysmal franchise but hes got all the tools, he can be a centerpiece for an offense, and hes young and good enough iMO to be a part of the cornerstone

but to your post, yea thats a good trade for philly and a worthwhile experiment to get talent for sacramento although I hate the fox and simmons fit unless fox really takes a bgiger jump on his shooting

14. jakedasnake

jakedasnake Member

This is one of Morey's biggest flaws. Not saying he did this with Harden but he should have traded Simmons for Harden in some form or fashion and offered whatever it took (within reason) before the cat is out of the bag on his regression. He was likely too enamored with Simmon's "potential" to make a godfather offer for Harden although I am glad he didn't.

It seems obvious that Simmons is not going to drastically change as a basketball player based on his personality alone but Morey doesn't have a way to quantify characteristics like willpower, work ethic, determination, etc. which is something only the best GM's do in all sports. I hate to be cliché but heart matters in sports sometimes just as much as measurables. PJ Tucker is a prime example of that. That is what many GM's failed to see in many players in the past like Draymond Green and Khris Middleton although a lot of players just mature differently or are late bloomers.

Easy likes this.
  15. jakedasnake

jakedasnake Member

Ha I basically just posted the same thing above but your post is much simpler and to the point. I agree completely and it can be the difference between a Championship GM and a contender GM. That GM that can find that dog that works on his game every summer and lives at the gym and stays above the noise is the one that will get a championship sooner than later. Just shocked he didn't pull off the Simmons for Harden trade somehow/someway.

Easy likes this.
  16. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Simmons will flourish away from Embiid. You have Ben operate further in(attack off the wing some too)...run the offense through him. Not out top. A point 4.

D-rock likes this.
  17. Bo6

Bo6 Member

i wish i could just tell my employer to **** off and still get paid.

BHannes2BHonest likes this.
  18. jayfree

jayfree Member

[​IMG]

Plowman likes this.