1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Shams - Philly offered Simmons/Thybulle + draft compensation. Did we make the right deal?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ThatBoyNick, Jan 13, 2021.

?

Which package would you have prefered?

Poll closed Jan 18, 2021.
  1. Nets package

177 vote(s)
    50.4%
  2. Phillys package

174 vote(s)
    49.6%
  1. D-rock

D-rock Member

2. Victorious

Victorious Member

chris paul was there too? thought harden hated the guy lol. man if harden and cp3 end up on the same team again.....

3. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

Haha. Morey fussed around with the Rockets about pick protections and now is going to trade Simmons for peanuts.

saleem likes this.
  4. Reeko

Reeko Member

The potential for a deal is there, but the 76ers are reportedly seeking an All-Star caliber player in return. De’Aaron Fox would probably fit that description, but sources have maintained the Kings are highly unlikely to trade their dynamic 23-year-old point guard.

The Kings would be looking to put Simmons, a 6-foot-11, 240-pound point guard, in a frontcourt position in a lineup featuring Fox, Tyrese Haliburton, Harrison Barnes and possibly Richaun Holmes, if they are able to keep him in free agency. The addition of Simmons would immediately improve a team that finished 30th in the NBA in defensive rating and rebounding last season.

Sacramento would probably be willing to offer a package that includes Buddy Hield, Marvin Bagley III and one or more future first-round draft picks. One league source recently told The Sacramento Bee the Kings would have to send a minimum of three first-round picks to the 76ers in a trade constructed around Hield and Bagley. Another source said the 76ers wouldn’t be interested unless Fox or Haliburton were included in the trade, but Hield’s elite 3-point shooting and Bagley’s unrealized potential could be appealing if a better deal doesn’t materialize.

sirjesse and JoeBarelyCares like this.
  5. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

Buddy Hield + Bagley and picks is not a bad deal for Simmons.

Simmons is such a difficult player to get the value you actually want. We can all acknowledge that the guy is a great defender and an elite facilitator, who the hell doesn't want that, but holy **** are his shooting issues a major red flag.

6. Reeko

Reeko Member

I like the deal for Sacramento…they’re desperate to make the playoffs, and even tho Simmons is very flawed, they don’t often get a player of his caliber

19bernardo87 and RudyTBag like this.
  7. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Yeah they are desperate, they might be able to squeeze into the playoffs with Simmons. But the spacing with Simmons, Fox and Holmes are going to the worst in the NBA

RudyTBag likes this.
  8. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

I also think if you build a team around Simmons similarly to how the Bucks have built around Giannis, you can have success. Simmons really needs to play that Giannis role, but having Embiid didn't allow for that.

I do want to add that I don't think it's guaranteed he can have the same kind of impact as Giannis, I just think that with his flaws, that is the best position for him to be in to potentially succeed with his limitations.

9. Reeko

Reeko Member

the spacing will be atrocious for sure, but there’s something to be said for finally just making the playoffs, especially with their 15 year drought

i can’t imagine being a fan of a team that hasn’t been to the playoffs in 15 years and counting

HTXSportsAddict and RudyTBag like this.
  10. Reeko

Reeko Member

I don’t ever see him scoring on Giannis’ level, so I don’t think he’ll ever have that level of impact, but the best I’ve seen a team look being led by Simmons was the end of the 17-18 season when Embiid was out and it was just Simmons and a bunch of shooters

11. Clutch City1993

Clutch City1993 Bury Me In The H
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Simmons suck

Called that from the get-go

12. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

13. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

Count your blessings.

We could of been picking 18th this year, instead the basketball gods were generous and gave us 2nd. Adam Silver was an ******* and did not reward us with 1st.

Hoping that we draft a player that will at least make us a playoff contender by year 4. Hopefully all the young guys developed accordingly.

HTXSportsAddict, D-rock and Reeko like this.
  14. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

If Simmons played like Giannis, he would be an annual MVP candidate. But to be able to do that, he has to be not afraid of shooting free throws and can make at least 60% of hem... oh, and be able to knock down about 30% from outside 3 feet of the basket.

saleem and D-rock like this.
  15. apollo33

apollo33 Member

I don't think it's even comparable right now. Giannis is dropping 40 a night on godlike efficiency in the finals. His finishing ability byitself is 10x that of Simmons. Simmons has really regressed in his touch around the rim

Easy likes this.
  16. Reeko

Reeko Member

Internally, team sources view a lot of the reported offers floated around the league as transparent attempts to lower Simmons' trade value below where it actually is. The Sixers are uninterested in packages returning multiple role players and picks in exchange for Simmons, according to a source familiar with the situation. As one specific example, a source told PhillyVoice the Sixers would not even entertain a discussion with the Sacramento Kings save for the inclusion of guard De'Aaron Fox in a potential deal, which they view simply as a starting point for talks.

Delusional much?

17. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Morey should have just sent Stone his first offer as the best offer instead of trying to play mind games.

DonatelloLimestone likes this.
  18. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

The actually trade value of anything is whatever people are willing to offer, not what you claim it is.

19. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

I would not even want ben simmons on the rokets for free unless it was to move on to another team quickly for other players or picks. He ultimately will not be a winning player no matter what. Perhaps if it were a small bench role for 20 minutes a game. Not being able to shoot though at this day in age where PF's and C's are taking 3's.

It would be interesting to watch a Simmons and Westbrook backcourt. Which in an alternate universe could have happened in Houston.

20. blahblehblah

blahblehblah Member

buddy hield + bagley + 3 1st round picks would be the best offer I've heard so far. If its just one or two picks the Pacers offer is better imo.

Morey wants Dame-like returns for Simmons, but right now the offers are closer to CJ Mcollum value.

DonatelloLimestone and D-rock like this.