1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Shams - Philly offered Simmons/Thybulle + draft compensation. Did we make the right deal?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ThatBoyNick, Jan 13, 2021.

?

Which package would you have prefered?

Poll closed Jan 18, 2021.
  1. Nets package

177 vote(s)
    50.4%
  2. Phillys package

174 vote(s)
    49.6%
  1. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

2. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

3. Reeko

Reeko Member

Harden was exactly what Philly needed, and Morey was busy trying to haggle over picks and freaking Tyrese Maxey…

if he completes that trade, there is no Big 3 in BK, and Philly becomes exponentially better as well

what a fail

vince, vator, Deuce and 7 others like this.
  4. Reeko

Reeko Member

please just buy this dude out if they can’t find a trade, because I’ll be shocked if 1 of KPJr or Green isn’t coming off the bench with Wall starting and soaking up shots and usage…and if he does get his role diminished, I bet Wall would be super salty and start acting up in the locker room

please just get him outta here

BHannes2BHonest and ElPigto like this.
  5. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

who the hell is this @DonKnock guy? is he related to Burt Steele or swedisholajuwon? don't bull or haha me, okay guy!!

6. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

He's paraphrasing what Alykhan Bijani talked about on Locked on Rockets podcast and what Fiegan said in another podcast.

Os Trigonum likes this.
  7. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

Morey failing to execute an important trade. The only one he was able to get through, besides the historic James Harden trade, was CP3.

I know he had various other trades that he pulled, but I'm talking about franchise changing. He really should of gave up the farm for Jimmy Butler (I guess he kind of tried if 4 FRPs reports were correct).

Reeko likes this.
  8. Reeko

Reeko Member

even the CP3 trade I give most of the credit to Harden for since he was the one who recruited CP3 and made him want to come here…all Morey did was call the Clippers and ask them what they wanted in return

D-rock and sirjesse like this.
  9. J.R.

J.R. Member

@ElPigto We thought we had some deals lined up. Obviously nothing that came through but we really like our roster. We’re first in the East, we think we should be among the favorites, if not the favorite. Obviously we have to go out there and prove it but I love our team and love our chances.

Convictedstupid, ElPigto and sirjesse like this.
  10. Htown's Finest

Supporting Member

You think a team like the Knicks are stupid enough to want John Wall?

11. sirjesse

sirjesse The Udoker has spoken!
    Supporting Member

I loved him on the Andy Griffith show.

DonKnock, D-rock, Pat and 1 other person like this.
  12. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

You forget that Thibs is the coach there?

13. sirjesse

sirjesse The Udoker has spoken!
    Supporting Member

In particular, I find this shot of Don Knock amusing when he heard Harden say we are not good enough:

upload_2021-7-8_8-46-18.gif

D-rock and Os Trigonum like this.
  14. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

Doesn't Thibs love his veterans. He probably would love to have both John and Derrick.

15. Htown's Finest

Supporting Member

Thibs is savy but did you forget that James Dolan is still the Knicks owner LMAO?

16. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Morey is a good GM. He is probably one of the smartest GMs in the league, sometimes too smart for his own good. But he is not an infallible god some people here worshiped and defended him against every criticism. He makes mistakes, some very costly ones, just like every GM inevitably does.

He did reportedly offer 4 FRPs for Butler, a blockbuster kind of offer at that time. Knowing Morey, those picks were probably protected and were probably why the deal didn't get through. He did it again with the Harden for Simmons deal. If he was willing to part with similar unprotected picks offer by the Nets, he might have a chance to land Harden.

When he got Harden from OKC, Harden was not perceived as a top tier star player. I've always thought that OKC was dumb in using Harden as the 6th man, suppressing his real potential. When they needed to trade one of the Big 3 (that in itself was not smart too), they traded the wrong guy. They should have traded Westbrook who had much higher trade value than Harden at that time. But even Morey admitted that Harden's development surprised him. So in that sense, there was quite a bit of luck in acquiring Harden.

To me, the smartest move Morey pulled off was trading T-Mac's corpse to get Kevin Martin and a FRP. KMart was the centerpiece that got Harden later. Unfortunately the FRP turned into Royce White.

D-rock and harold bingo like this.
  17. dmoneybangbang

Rockets aren't buying him out. John Wall's quickest way out of Houston is dropping his player option in order to sign a 4/5 year $80/$100 mil type of deal with the Knicks, Clippers, whoever.

18. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Wall is our Tank commander, say no more.

ElPigto likes this.
  19. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Decent guy.

Ever heard of 'Lining them up, Don Knock?'

D-rock and Os Trigonum like this.
  20. Htown's Finest

Supporting Member

I wouldn't buy him out either if I was TF. At the very least Wall will be traded to a team looking to salary dump come this time next year. But I was looking at the current salaries around the league and see that New York is 30th (dead last/most salary cap room in the NBA) on that list (NY only has 50 million on the books come this off-season) and they are a team that could use some help at guard. Like I said before it's James Dolan we are talking about and the Knicks lol. Could the Knicks be a possible player for John Wall being moved come this off-season? I doubt it but stranger things have happened. And perhaps NY will look at what CP3 is doing for the Suns and think that JW could replicate that. Again it's the Knicks so you can't 100% rule out stupid lol.

https://hoopshype.com/salaries/

#1160 Htown's Finest, Jul 8, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2021