1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Shams - Philly offered Simmons/Thybulle + draft compensation. Did we make the right deal?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ThatBoyNick, Jan 13, 2021.

?

Which package would you have prefered?

Poll closed Jan 18, 2021.
  1. Nets package

177 vote(s)
    50.4%
  2. Phillys package

174 vote(s)
    49.6%
  1. HP3

HP3 Member

Can you tell me what you mean...imma bit slow today.

2. YOLO

YOLO Member

you put way too much stock in simmons. dude is the epitome of a player you don't emulate in the modern era of basketball. no kid is growing up telling themselves to be like Ben Simmons

Bo6, malakas and Sanctity like this.
  3. YOLO

YOLO Member

you said the rockets are only getting one good pick. well what # in a draft is a good pick to you? and again not year

4. HP3

HP3 Member

I would want to flip Simmons for better assets.

Sanctity likes this.
  5. HP3

HP3 Member

Top 10 at least.

6. YOLO

YOLO Member

simmons isn't getting you nearly this haul

malakas likes this.
  7. HP3

HP3 Member

This haul of garbage....yea, I think he would.

8. YOLO

YOLO Member

ill tipjar bet you the rockets get more than 1 top 10 pick in the next 7 years from the nets

roslolian, malakas and Rockets4Life13 like this.
  9. HP3

HP3 Member

Im good thanks. I'll be happy to be wrong. But I doubt it.

10. YOLO

YOLO Member

your standards are out of wack then. 8 unprotected picks 4 1st and 4 swaps. good luck finding something better than that for a bad basketball player like simmons. There's a reason why this amount of picks and 0 protections is considered unprecedented

nobody is giving you more assets for a fresh max player that can't shoot. you're kidding yourself if you think you can get a better deal for a bad player for the modern era

11. YOLO

YOLO Member

if you doubt it so much then its a easy bet for you, since you're complaining so much and so sure

12. riko

riko Member

Bingo.

13. roslolian

roslolian Member

It's tough to gauge the trade cuz we don't know the protections. However let's assume Morey gave 3 FRPs but had 0 swap and had top 10 lotto protection on each. So that's

Simmons (superstar player), Thybulle (meh), 3 low FRP

vs

Oladipo (expiring), RK (around the same value as Thybulle imo), 3 unprotected FRP nets, 1 FRP Bucks and 4 swaps.

Tbh even if LTS wasn't a concern I'd still take Nets package, and I'm a big Simmons fan. Owning all the Nets picks for the next 7 years is huge, it's def a calculated gamble that can pay dividends given the cancer and flaky personalities of Harden, KD and Irving. Also add a rookie and white (you know it's an issue for some of these guys Irving even said they didnt need a coach) Steve Nash coach with Dumbtoni assistant and that's a recipe for disaster.

Did I mention KD is 32, Harden is 31 and both KD and Irving have had spotty injury concerns the past couple of years?

We don't know what gonna happen in the future or even the exact details of the Philly proposal but given everything we know so far I believe Nets package was superior.

14. HP3

HP3 Member

Yolo I don’t care to talk to you about it, stop being combative about everything.
    Simmons is a top 20 player and a top 30 player at worst. Those picks aren’t going to be worth much. I’m done with this convo

15. YOLO

YOLO Member

you're overly dramatic takes on this needs a bit of a reset button. if you're so sure then take the bet. if not then dial it back a bit and stop acting like you know what exactly is going to happen. simple as that

a barely top 30 player on his best day isn't fetching you this haul. stop it

persian hoopa likes this.
  16. yixiixiy

yixiixiy Member

How does Simmons get you better picks may I ask? If that happens, the team likely has already gone through another period of failed experiments. You need to build around him, and that costs something.

That Maxey guy, he looked sharp. But a franchise corner stone? Come on.

malakas likes this.
  17. ChillyPete32

ChillyPete32 Member

We couldn't flip Simmons for the haul we just got with the downside for the picks it has or even probably close to it unless it was a desperate team type of thing. Maxey was supposedly the line they drew. If it was Simmons, Maxey, Thybulle and 2-3 lightly protected firsts (top 3) I'd rather have had that for sure. But it was probably like Simmons, Thybulle, and maybe two top 16 protected or something like that. If you like that better, that's totally fine and I'd have been okay with that too, but the value isn't substantially better than what we got.

Harden's partying can catch up to him. He's also an extremely unique player. There's not a lot of comps for him. When it goes it can go quick.

KD's game should age fine on its own but the older you get the more likely you are to get hurt.

And again, those guys might get tired of each other or the situation!

Situations deteriotate quickly all the time and it's not like Denver where there are two young stars locked up for a while with no health issues.

I'd bet on the Nets downside with no assets to fix it if something goes wrong over just about any other "top" team right now and I've said that since the rumors started.

roslolian likes this.
  18. HP3

HP3 Member

You want a top pick, we don’t ha scone right now. We have a bunch of low firsts.

19. Rockets4Life13

Seriously man, 1 year ago everyone would've waived off a Rockets 2021 pick as nothing worth noting considering we have Harden who always takes us into the late 20s on 1st round picks. Now that pick will probably be one of the best ones this year.
    Things change so fast in the NBA, who knows what happens to the Nets in a span of 6 years.

Nook, Der Rabbi, YOLO and 1 other person like this.
  20. James.B.H

James.B.H Member

Anthony Edwards and a pick or two will be likely I'd say. Wolves want to win now, and Simmons is good friend with KAT and DLo. He kinds of fit their system as well, they have enough talent scoring the ball but lacks a solid defender and good distributor.

I guess the question is then, do you value Anthony Edwards over the few picks we get from Nets?