1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Shams - Philly offered Simmons/Thybulle + draft compensation. Did we make the right deal?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ThatBoyNick, Jan 13, 2021.

?

Which package would you have prefered?

Poll closed Jan 18, 2021.
  1. Nets package

177 vote(s)
    50.4%
  2. Phillys package

174 vote(s)
    49.6%
  1. mike2k132

mike2k132 Member

Honestly at this point I'm resigned to just letting it expire lol. It was a bad trade, so at this point just do no more harm

vlaurelio likes this.
  2. dmoneybangbang

No.... it seems like you are more interested in playing “gotcha” then understanding.

I’m not really sure how I can make a statement like the “Nets winning a championship this year will negatively affect the package” without explaining why I think so.... Talking about “ until 2027” is explaining the downstream effects of the Nets being good.

Also winning a championship this or next year isn’t moving the goalposts, it’s explaining the thought process. The important point is the Nets are good enough to continue the Harden/Durant super team and/or add to it, which makes the Nets package worse.

Like I said... I think you are trying too hard to play gotcha instead of comprehending.

#622 dmoneybangbang, Mar 19, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2021
  3. roslolian

roslolian Member

Im not playing gotcha I just told you how winning a ring today wont affect your decision 3 yrs from now.

If you wanna go with a general statement like the Nets gonna be good which is bad for the pick then ok I agree with you. But winning a ring this year is different from Nets gonna be good for the next 7 years those are diff things. You cant say the Nets winning a ring this year is gonna make the Nets package worse and then your proof is if they good the next 7 years then the Rox are in trouble. Like I mentioned X times you can be world champions this year and then trash team 3 yrs from now even Harden experienced the same thing. They are two separate things cuz 3 yrs is a long time in the NBA.

4. dmoneybangbang

I told you how winning chip now can lead to a bunch of downstream events that makes the Nets great for the next several years.

That's pretty much my statement and I feel like it's close to be the same thing..... If the Nets are going to be good for years .... then WHY will they be good for years? What EVENTS would happen to cause Harden and Durant to stay long term? What EVENTS would happen to make the Nets great when Harden and Durant are in their twilight years? What EVENTS would happen to bring in other stars to the Nets?

I'm speaking in probabilities and likelihoods as of course the future isn't set but that doesn't mean we can't make predications. I find it strange you can agree with the bolded but you all of sudden "add a ring" and the whole thing falls apart....

5. riko

riko Member

Thybulle my god what a defender

chadyang and D-rock like this.
  6. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

He wouldn't help with the Tanking though... can't make it look too blatantly obvious OKC won't he getting the pick this year.

7. riko

riko Member

I really hope with one of those picks the Rockets get a player or two the equivalent of Simmons or better because you have to for refusing the Simmons trade plus two first rounders and Thybulle to justify it

D-rock likes this.
  8. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

9. Pringles09

Pringles09 Member

10. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Uh if he means we end up with Kelly Olynyk and Avery Bradley that's a resounding "HELL YES!" we made the right deal lol

BigShasta, chadyang and D-rock like this.
  11. riko

riko Member

Na brah, who wants that when you got Avery Bradley and that Olynk stud and two extra picks that will be late firsts.

Boston84 and D-rock like this.
  12. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Some of ya'll really desperate to make the playoffs and get bounced in the first round.

Corrosion likes this.
  13. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

I don't know man. if you're franchise player can't shoot 3s and is a career 16ppg scorer i don't think we should be worried about making the playoffs. kidding aside, it would have been interesting to see what Morey would have came back with if Stone/Tilman would have given him an opportunity to counter Brooklyn's deal. Maybe we would have ended up with Simmons, Thybulle and Maxey/Milton plus picks. If I was Stone, i would have elevated by big ball status by then moving Simmons to another team for a sh*t ton of picks. At least Simmons would have netted me more than Olynyk and Bradley.

joshuaao, BigShasta, chadyang and 2 others like this.
  14. hakeemthagreat

So Embiid is out, and yet the guy leading Philly to victory is Tobias Harris. Why exactly isn't Ben Simmons stepping up as the cornerstone? This guy is FOOL'S GOLD. You idiots wanted to trade James Harden for THAT guy?

clos4life, BigShasta and RasaqBoi like this.
  15. D-rock

D-rock Member

What victory are you talking about dumbass?

Nuggets are up 25 points on the 76ers.

16. hakeemthagreat

They're still a top the eastern conference. Your comprehensive skills are worse than Ben Simmons shot at this point

17. Jerry36

Jerry36 Member

I don't know what yall see in Simmons. This guy is in 4th yr and his stats are pretty much even no signs of improvement. Can't even score 20 points per game. Shooting a 3 is not his nature and you show not going to find him in crunch time.

18. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

19. D-rock

D-rock Member

So when you wrote "victory" in the context of that game they were losing badly, you really meant it in a metaphoric sense?

Suuuuure you did. :rolleyes:

Just admit, you were wrong and take your L.

hakeem94 and HP3 like this.
  20. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Probably panicking about it right now would help?

a) if the Rockets own pick falls in the top 4, there is every chance they draft someone as good as Simmons. Top 4 pick is not realistic with a Philly trade because Simmons would keep us in the hunt for 8-12 in the west.

b) 7 years in a row. Historically at least one of these years they will be a lottery team.

c) KPJr is a decent by-product IMHO.

d) if you bring in Simmons you lock in to some kind of weird "win now" mode where you probably keep PJ, and don't manage to extract that extra 1st rounder - but let's discount that for the purposes of the analysis.

If we pick top 4, then I say Stone nailed the trade and it isn't even debateable.
    Top 4 pick + 7 unprotected picks + (KPJr) >>> Simmons + Thybulle and 2 protected 1sts.

A complete meltdown straight away is way better than an attempt at relevance

vince and Corrosion like this.