1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Shams - Philly offered Simmons/Thybulle + draft compensation. Did we make the right deal?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ThatBoyNick, Jan 13, 2021.

?

Which package would you have prefered?

Poll closed Jan 18, 2021.
  1. Nets package

177 vote(s)
    50.4%
  2. Phillys package

174 vote(s)
    49.6%
  1. dmoneybangbang

Now who’s moving the goal post....

That’s cool and certainly valid point (as was my example) , but I’d bet the Nets winning a championship would make the package worse. You wouldn’t. That’s cool.

I understand it’s not pleasant to think about us not receiving 1 top ten pick out of the entire package. However the Nets being good for the 2020s isn’t out of the realm of possibility. I think it increases the better they are now.

2. hakeemthagreat

6-16, 13pts, -7 in 45mins.

Is THIS your cornerstone?

3. roslolian

roslolian Member

How am I moving the goal post? Winning 2021 championship wont make the Nets package worse cuz FA is 3 years away. Its the same reason the 7 year Nets package wont be affected by Nets winning a ring in year 1. A lot can happen in 7 years. Nets can still be contenders or not by then but winning a ring this year wont change their prospects in free agency.

You still havent proved how winning the championship this year makes the Nets package worse. A lot can happen in 3 years, if the Nets win a ring now doesnt mean they will all resign in 3 years and the reverse is also true. I gave you examples of teams who had great years in year 0 and were gone in less than 3 years. If winning the ring now is gonna help the case 3 years from now how come Lebron went to LA 2 years after winning a ring in cleveland? How come Harden wanted out after 2 years of almost beating the modt stacked team in NBA history? Your example isnt valid at all, Lebron got AD to play with him when they didnt win a ring 3 years ago so how is that example valid?

You are the one moving the goal posts here not me. Just retract your statement that winning a ring this year will make the Nets package worse. Simple as that.

4. roslolian

roslolian Member

In an alternate universe where the Rox actually got the Morey package pretty sure these guys would be talking about how Stone got bamboozled into getting the brokeshot trio Simmons, Thybulle and Maxey and 1 low protected frp. They gonna say Stone dumb AF for getting 3 guys who cant shoot and how he got played by Morey.

eliefor3 likes this.
  5. D-rock

D-rock Member

I know the stats say that but the stats are deceiving in this case.

The KIA DPOY tracker has had him ranked #1 the last 2 weeks and top 5 for most of the season.

Gotta watch the games too.

76ers not top of East if Simmons was as bad as stats suggest.

6. mike2k132

mike2k132 Member

Ahhhh keep up, giannis bro.

7. mike2k132

mike2k132 Member

Thata because a player of harden level came available. In free agency smh. They wasn't gonna pay harden okc. So stop bro I'm too old. I know all rockets history. Fan for 36 years.

8. mike2k132

mike2k132 Member

Bro cause giannis has a team built around the same skills Ben Simmons has. While Ben Simmons never did. How is this hard to follow lol.

My point was if u would build a team around Simmons skill you would get equal result as a similar player(giannis)

D-rock likes this.
  9. mike2k132

mike2k132 Member

Yes they are . Cause essentially I'm arguing a better deal was on the table that we didn't take....in my guess only because Tillman dumbass didn't wanna trade with morey out of spite

tycoonchip and D-rock like this.
  10. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

11. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

I think Tillman wanted Oladipo more for the fact his contract is expiring. Everyone knows he wants to be in Miami. Miami is not going to mortgage away their good young players for someone who's going to just sign there. Riley isn't as dumb as Dolan. No idea what Stone's plan is with Oladipo but we better net something better than whatever we got for Tucker.

12. eliefor3

eliefor3 Member

Olandipo is a better player than tucker so it's reasonable to expect more. He is also a expiring contract who is not going to make the team that gets him a sure fire bet to win it all. That being said why would teams give you a whole bunch of assets for him? We are not dealing from a position of power. If a team like Miami feels their chance to win it all is with him on their team next year without giving up anything this year then why would they offer a bunch? Best guess is he goes to a team like the Knicks or warriors who feel like they can get him to sign a extension. But bc he might be a rental, they also won't give top value value him.
    Let's be realistic for a bit

13. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

From my understanding, Miami will have a very difficult time signing Oladipo without trading for him. They’d have to renounce several players. Besides, I believe the Miami thing is overplayed — I just think Oladipo wants to get paid.

#613 Houston77, Mar 18, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2021
  14. dmoneybangbang

Will winning a championship this year make it more or less likely Harden will sign? I think it will make it more likely harden will resign when it’s time. You don’t.

I think increasing the chances harden resigns increases the chances package isn’t as good. You don’t.

I think Net success is more likely to make the package worse, you don’t.

I think there’s a chance the Nets package could be pretty mediocre, you don’t.

Is the success of the Nets package not to tied to their success?

15. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

In all honesty I don't even know why Miami would want him at this point. Sure his play this year might have been impacted by the crappy team he's on right now but this is the perfect opportunity for him to pad his stats and make him look like he can command top dollar. Miami would be better off trading for Eric Gordon than to sign Oladipo to a contract longer than 3 years at whatever average salary he thinks he'll command (e.g. $25+ per).

D-rock likes this.
  16. dmoneybangbang

Always felt like Dipo wanted Miami more than they wanted him.

D-rock and steddinotayto like this.
  17. topfive

topfive CF OG

Very small sample size (8 attempts), but Simmons is currently shooting 37.5% from 3.

That's likely not sustainable, but if he can hit 30%-33% it'll help keep the defenses honest.

D-rock likes this.
  18. roslolian

roslolian Member

The first paragraph is the only thing that you said that makes any sense. The rest are just stuff you made up.

Instead of making false arguments to argue with yourself you should think why a ring in year 0 will make Harden resign 3 years in the future. You havent addressed how the Nets winning a ring now makes it more likely Harden will resign 3 yrs from now when we got superstars leaving their teams 2 years from winning a ring. Players resign based on future chance to win more rings rather than what happened 3 years ago, isnt this obvious? 3 yrs ago Tucker was playing great but the Rox didnt give him an extension cuz how he played 3 years ago is not how he will play moving forward. In the same way Harden demanded a trade from the Rox even if they played great 3 yrs ago back in 2018 again because how the Rox gonna play this season is not how they will play back in 2018. Using the same logic, Harden will resign with the Nets in 2024 not if they win a ring in 2021, its if they still look good in the immediate future. This aint rocket science chief, this basic af.

You havent said 1 single reason why Harden winning a ring this year gonna make him resign 3 years from now. We just going in circles you are just wasting my time.

#618 roslolian, Mar 18, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2021
  19. dmoneybangbang

Nope, they aren't "made up" but possible scenarios based on events.

I find it pretty straightforward... the more years the Nets are bad the better for the Rockets. Now what would cause the Nets to be great to mediocre until 2027?

They aren't false arguments, just scenarios you don't think are probable..... You are bringing up examples like Lebron and Cleveland (his home region) and PJ Tucker... I don't really find them that strong and you don't find my arguments strong. That's fine but no need to get triggered because we disagree.

I said "agree to disagree" earlier so spare me about "wasting your time". No one but you is making you reply so stop that noise.

D-rock likes this.
  20. roslolian

roslolian Member

The only event you should be talking about is the Nets winning a championship this year, thats really your only statement right?

The moment you say stuff like "the more years.." "...until 2027..." that is outside the bounds of your statement of the Nets winning a championship this year already. How xan there be multiple years when its about the Nets winning a championship this year? You can win a championship this year for multiple years is that what you think? Thats how you know you keep moving the goal posts.