1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Shams - Philly offered Simmons/Thybulle + draft compensation. Did we make the right deal?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ThatBoyNick, Jan 13, 2021.

?

Which package would you have prefered?

Poll closed Jan 18, 2021.
  1. Nets package

177 vote(s)
    50.4%
  2. Phillys package

174 vote(s)
    49.6%
  1. D-rock

D-rock Member

THIS from the Wall fan????

You are not just ignorant but hypocritical as well.

2. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Even if I were to concede his value is fools gold (I don't, he's possibly DPOY...extremely valuable) it's still more valuable then the picks are.

Now, MAYBE the picks will become valuable. Who knows...but that's just it...Who Knows.

We know right now that Ben is a valuable player, no, he can't shoot, but he can literally do everything else and is looking like a defensive monster. He's the 2nd best player on the 3rd best team (record wise) right now. This is not something that happens by accident or coincidence.

3. D-rock

D-rock Member

If you're not here to be liked, kudos you've achieved that goal.

And your "predictions" are Q worthy.

Congrats.

4. D-rock

D-rock Member

And yet without taking ANY jump shots or 3's, Simmons has NEVER lost a game by 49 points.

EVER.

And Simmons has NEVER had a game where he had ZERO assists or ZERO rebounds.

Let alone where he had ZERO assists AND zero rebounds in the SAME game.

ZERO. Just like your ability to discern talent.

#424 D-rock, Feb 28, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2021
    JayGoogle likes this.
  5. D-rock

D-rock Member

Ain't over till its over.

If Dipo not traded at deadline, its confirmed that Stone and Silas WANT Dipo as a cornerstone.

Ugh.

jcmoon likes this.
  6. hakeemthagreat

None of this makes him a franchise player

LOL

7. jcmoon

jcmoon Contributing Member

i think he'll definately be traded. in fact i don't think they even expected him to take that extension when they offered it. it makes it appear that we actually want him to perhaps boost his trade value. if another team knows that we won't sign him this summer they can offer less.

BamBam likes this.
  8. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

Just remember, there's still people so delusional they think this was a good trade, and that Tilman will turn the franchise around.

riko likes this.
  9. hakeemthagreat

His defensive qualities don't make up for the fact teams will eventually expose his inability to hit a basic jumpshot. The regular season is basically a jog. Once the game tightens up and starts slowing down Simmons will be unplayable. His athleticism is the only thing carrying him

10. J.R.

J.R. Member

The Rockets, remember, could have traded Harden to the 76ers for Ben Simmons, but rumblings persist that Tilman Fertitta, Houston’s owner, pushed for the Nets’ deal built heavily on draft compensation in part because he could not bear to send Harden to Philadelphia, where Morey landed after their frosty parting.

Ever since I watched Simmons make his case for the Defensive Player of the Year Award so forcefully against Doncic, with his offense also picking up, I’ve been thinking about the Rockets a lot. I was part of the December and January chorus touting Simmons as the ideal return in a Harden deal for Houston’s new front office, led by General Manager Rafael Stone. Now Simmons looks even more like the young franchise cornerstone that Houston had convinced so many rival teams it was holding out for in a Harden deal.

For all the inevitable curiosity about what sort of reaction Harden will get from an expected crowd of roughly 4,000 Houstonians, only one question really matters for the Rockets: Did they make the right trade? They can rightfully say it’s too early for final judgments, but the answer, thanks to both Harden and Simmons, is not trending in their direction. — Stein

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/03/03/sports/basketball/james-harden-nets-rockets.html

11. desi tmac91

desi tmac91 Member

All this losing streak proves is that the Nets deal was the right one. Ben Simmons was not saving this team, especially with that jumpshot when this team needs a perimeter threat.

jiggyfly likes this.
  12. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

13. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

I dont care how trash the Rockets are Im glad Rockets didn't send Harden to Philly. to Morey. I always get push back when I say this: Morey made the deals that screwed the rockets future. I dont care if Tilman pushed for the stuff. Morey is the one that executed the most un-morey-like deals known to man.

14. sogood.

sogood. Member

After that slow start, Ben Simmons has averaged 21/8/8 the past month and is the front runner for Defensive Player of the Year.

Yeah, **** Tilman.

15. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

I think a perimeter threat would be easier to acquire than a 7'0" defensive point forward, but after the Memphis game (2-82 from the three point line), I don't have a leg to stand on.

16. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Marc Stein thinks we shoulda got Simmons:

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/03/03/sports/basketball/james-harden-nets-rockets.html

Teardowns are never pretty, but this one has even more layers than usual because it wasn’t the only option. The Rockets, remember, could have traded Harden to the 76ers for Ben Simmons, but rumblings persist that Tilman Fertitta, Houston’s owner, pushed for the Nets’ deal built heavily on draft compensation in part because he could not bear to send Harden to Philadelphia, where Morey landed after their frosty parting. Amid the Nets’ surge to No. 1 in the N.B.A. in offensive efficiency (117.9 points per 100 possessions) and the Knicks’ unforeseen rise to No. 4 in the cushier Eastern Conference, I hope you haven’t missed last month’s other major development in the East: Simmons has responded to the sting of bracing himself for a trade to Texas with the best two-way basketball of his life.

Last week, Simmons smothered Luka Doncic of the Dallas Mavericks in a way that pretty much nobody else has managed. Simmons hounded Doncic for five of the Dallas star’s seven turnovers in a nationally televised game on TNT. That followed impressive clampings of Portland’s Damian Lillard and Utah’s Donovan Mitchell.

“I like taking those challenges,” Simmons said. “Just tell me who to guard.”

Ever since I watched Simmons make his case for the Defensive Player of the Year Award so forcefully against Doncic, with his offense also picking up, I’ve been thinking about the Rockets a lot. I was part of the December and January chorus touting Simmons as the ideal return in a Harden deal for Houston’s new front office, led by General Manager Rafael Stone. Now Simmons looks even more like the young franchise cornerstone that Houston had convinced so many rival teams it was holding out for in a Harden deal.

For all the inevitable curiosity about what sort of reaction Harden will get from an expected crowd of roughly 4,000 Houstonians, only one question really matters for the Rockets: Did they make the right trade? They can rightfully say it’s too early for final judgments, but the answer, thanks to both Harden and Simmons, is not trending in their direction.

dmoneybangbang and HP3 like this.
  17. riko

riko Member

I
    ll bet you any of those four late first rounders won’t fetch you anything close to resembling Simmons in the near future.

18. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

No mystery. The bolded is why.

19. psaman17

psaman17 Member

Simmons is an allstar once again. He's been a perennial all stars since his 2nd year in the league. By seasons end he will be amongst the candidate for DPOY.

He's one of the most unique player in the NBA with his combination of size, athleticism, court vision, defense, versatility. If you build a team completely around him; meaning shooters from 1-4 and allow him to play the 5, he would be averaging NBA 2k type numbers. But sure.... lets get some late picks instead. Or some random white guy on the Heat.

Foresight. Some people just lack.

#440 psaman17, Mar 3, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2021
    dmoneybangbang likes this.