1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Shams - Philly offered Simmons/Thybulle + draft compensation. Did we make the right deal?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ThatBoyNick, Jan 13, 2021.

?

Which package would you have prefered?

Poll closed Jan 18, 2021.
  1. Nets package

177 vote(s)
    50.4%
  2. Phillys package

174 vote(s)
    49.6%
  1. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Yes but when these assets bear fruit in....2029, look how good we'll have it! It will give us something to focus on in retirement

HP3 likes this.
  2. foggy94

foggy94 Member

So yes we could have Ben Simmons for 5 years, which sounds appealing to many. But 3 of those years we are tethering him with John Wall, which I do not expect would be a fruitful partnership. Maybe we can trade John Wall, but I dont think it will be too hot a market. So we what we are really saying is we can unleash Ben Simmons when he has two years left on his deal - about the time he hands in his trade request.

dmoneybangbang and duluth111222 like this.
  3. Poonwalker

Poonwalker Member

We are an injury away from full tank and we have the pieces to make that happen.

duluth111222 and xtruroyaltyx like this.
  4. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

I certainly hope the gods are on our side and this marriage doesn't last long.

5. apatel123

apatel123 Member

taking the sixers trade means betting against Morey long-term. I think we made the right decision

6. apollo33

apollo33 Member

If you are going to flip Simmons then what the hell is the point, that's just getting picks with an extra step. The Simmons package most likely had minimum or heavily protected picks knowing Morey.

What is Simmons going to fetch when you flip him, 2 first rounders? Also how valuable is he going to be when he's disgruntled when we tank.

Rockets4Life13 likes this.
  7. opticon

opticon Member

Bingo! Morey is not dumb. The best picks come from franchises of poorly ran.

8. AXG

AXG Member

Even though I leaned towards Philly's deal, this actually makes me feel a lot better. In the long term, Brooklyn's deal will start to pay dividends. By then, KD and Harden will either be retired or very old and no longer superstars. I also love that they are unprotected picks, similar to the Boston-Brooklyn trade a few years back. Since the Rockets don't have their own draft picks the next two years, it makes more sense to remain somewhat competitive, try for a lower playoff seed. Otherwise, the draft picks would go to OKC.

YOLO and JW86 like this.
  9. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Ben Simmons can't shoot beyond 3 feet, needs the ball, and is on a max deal.

I would have been cool with him if that's what Stone wanted, but the Rockets are never contending with him, so I don't see the point. I prefer the Nets package.

REEKO_HTOWN likes this.
  10. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Plus Simmons is so difficult to build around because of how he plays, it really limits on who you can even get for fit reasons.

YOLO and J Sizzle like this.
  11. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Yup. I just think he's essentially at his ceiling. Easily a Top 25 player but will never be the best player on a contender and will never develop a jumper. And he's a horrendous fit with John Wall, so I think the Rockets did real well to use Simmons as leverage to get a godfather offer. Maybe half those picks are worthless but you never know what happens 2-3 years from now.

JW86 likes this.
  12. JW86

JW86 Member

Sixers could or would not offer this type of draft compensation. Nets deal made way more sense on different fronts. Sixers only on one front: young talent.

13. dmoneybangbang

That would be the biggest concern, but we'd have some late pick(s) to attach to Wall to speed things up.

14. dmoneybangbang

You mean putting scorers and shooters around? Not sure how that's any more difficult than building around Harden, who requires defenders and shooters.

Simmons can't shoot, but he's a primary ball handler who happens to be very tall.

15. apollo33

apollo33 Member

I don't even think Philly has figured out how to use Simmons yet, they played him at quite a few positions. It's just awkward when your main ball handler causes the lane to be automatically clogged in a half court setting. I don't know exactly what Simmons does consistently on offense other than fast breaks. He gets a his points on opportunistic mismatches due to his size, but that's never going to come consistently which is why his scoring is all over the place.

You basically need big men who can stretch the floor, pf's who can stretch the floor, sharp shooter at the wing, and a SG who needs to both shoot and handle the ball in crunch time to maximize Simmons. At that point, why do you even need Simmons.

Embiid has to adjust his game to the perimeter every time Simmons drives. The only time that roster worked was when they had both Butler and Joel, Simmons was reduced to fast breaks, rebounds and defense only player.

YOLO likes this.
  16. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Did I really just read Harden is more difficult to build around than Simmons? I may need to get my eyes checked.

YOLO and BigM like this.
  17. TheRealAllpro

TheRealAllpro Morey only fan

Da fuc? There is zero chance you get 4-5 top 5 lottery picks. Some of y’all have lost your damn mind.

1. First off, waiting 3-5 years for your first realistic CHANCE at rebuilding is a ridiculous long wait.
    2. Nets, have zero incentive to tank, so they will at least TRY be a competitive team for all 7 years
    3. Even after the superstars leave which who knows how long that window is (Kyrie is only 28) they can just over pay mid tier FAs
    We will be lucky to get two top 10 picks in like 5 years.

#277 TheRealAllpro, Jan 14, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2021
    HP3 and DonkeyMagic like this.
  18. dmoneybangbang

I'm not sure what Embiid is adjusting since he plays his game, takes a bunch of shots from different spots. Seems Simmons plays the best without Embiid or at least scores more.

Harden has a rocket career of 36 assist % compared to 35.1 assist % for Simmons. Clearly Simmons playmaking is more diverse than fast breaks and you would want Simmon's defense and ability to set teammates up in crunch time.

apollo33 likes this.
  19. dmoneybangbang

I think so since I said "any more difficult".

We had two years of an elite team built around Harden out 8.

20. YOLO

YOLO Member

The sixers package does nothing