1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

SHAFTED by the selection committee...

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by haven, Mar 12, 2001.

1. haven

haven Member

The brackets frickin' suck. My BC Eagles got shafted badly.

26-4. Big East regular season champs AND tourney champs. Won the tourney by an
    average of TWENTY POINTS PER GAME. And they get a 3 seed. A POWER
    CONFERENCE CHAMPION. Ugh.

Iowa State got ripped by Baylor. Kentucky has lost plenty this year. We're higher
    ranked and have a better win-loss record than either, now. But they're #2's.

We've lost to Duke, Connecticut, St. John's, and Notre Dame... the latter two on LAST
    SECOND BUZZER BEATERS. We played Duke to a tie for 30 mins. We're undefeated at
    home.

Non-conference schedule was weak, but not that many awful teams... none below
    150rpi just in the 75-100 range. Besides, we have tons of wins against top 50
    competition.

We had all been certain of a #2 at least after clobbering our way through the conference tourney. At our selection party, we'd been whispering about even getting a #1 because of Michigan St. and Illinois' early upsets, and our recent dominance. And we get a #3 seed... what a load of crap.

How did your teams do?

------------------
    Boston College - Big East -East Division Regular Season Champs

Worst to First in 2001!

[This message has been edited by haven (edited March 12, 2001).]

2. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

I thought my Horns were a seed or two too low, but BC got the shaft also.

How in the world did UGA get into the tourney ? 16-14 ????

------------------
    "Hey Snoop Dog, I got my bi-yatch to make you some muffins."

3. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

The difference between a 2 and a 3 is nothing, even though I believe you deserve a 2. At least you didn't slip to 4 and have to face the 1 in the Sweet 16 round.

------------------
    www.swirve.com...The reason Al Gore invented the internet.

4. BrianKagy

BrianKagy Contributing Member

Your conference sucks.

5. haven

haven Member

The Big East is better than the Big 12 in basketball. It's probably not as top heavy, but the teams all fare very well out of conference and recruit better players, easily. Look at Seton Hall... prime time talent, and they had a losing record in conference.

Connecticut won the championship two years ago, and the Big East has had more final 4 teams than all but the ACC and SEC in the 90's.

The teams in the league beat up on each other alot, but come to play in non-conference games and do very well in the NCAA's.

I'd say this year the Big East was 4th best, behind the Big 10, SEC, and ACC, but ahead of the Big 12 and Pac 10.

BTW, I agree Texas got seeded one low. They played some excellent ball at the end there. There's no shame in losing to OK. After BC, I'll be rooting for them.

------------------

Worst to First in 2001!

6. gr8-1

ISU deserved a 2, maybe not over BC, but they had a good year.

Can anyone defend UGA getting in ?

I personally think IU is way too high. 21-12, with one of the losses to the Horns. Bullsh!t.

------------------

7. haven

haven Member

gr8-1

ISU had the weakest profile of the #2's, and I believe the lowest RPI (BC's is 7). They got embarrassed by the horns, and outed by Baylor in their tournament. They screwed themselves...

I don't think UGA should have been let in either... I would have opted for CT which had a few impressive wins. Or maybe Richmond, since they didn't get a chance to wina conference tournament.

IU got hot at the end... *shrug*.

------------------

Worst to First in 2001!

8. gr8-1

So did UT. Both teams made it to their ocnference finals. I just don't get it. I think IU and UT should trade places.

------------------

9. keeley

keeley Contributing Member

Across the board, Big East teams were seeded lower than most expected. If you think not getting a 2 seed is a grave injustice, then there is no explanation as to how Georgetown got a 10 seed.

The Big East was weaker than usual this year, and that's indicated by how the teams were seeded - and by the fact that Villanova and Connecticut were both left out.

Anyway, if BC is all it's cracked up to be, then the seed just won't matter.

------------------
    The Badministrator

10. haven

haven Member

Keeley: I agree, the Big East was down... they only got 5 bids this year. But BC shouldn't have shared in the general censure because of how badly we were ripping the rest at the end of the year. When you're smearing teams all over the court in a power conference, you should get at least a #2 seed.

------------------

Worst to First in 2001!

11. slcrocket

slcrocket Contributing Member

BYU--got a 12 seed, which is about what they deserved--they had a good record, but in the Mountain West, any good HIGH SCHOOL team should be able to hold their own...

Love to see an upset against Cincinnati, but I don't see it happening...however, I DO think that Utah State will give Ohio State ALL it can handle and possibly force the upset...

As far as Texas/Temple, I think that's one of the better games of the first round. Could go either way.

As far as BC goes, playing in that conference you had to kind of expect this. I've got BC going to the Elite 8...that's a real strong team.

------------------
    Jazzkiller

12. haven

haven Member

The Big East's RPI generally ranges between 3rd and 5th... you call that a weak conference?

Bleh... I think we'll beat Kentucky... but am not really sure. I think we're better, but Kentucky's larger, and that scares me.

I don't see why you guys couldn't upset Cincinati. I would assume that BYU is at least as good as Charlote. After all, they did manage to beat out Utah, a NCAA regular.

------------------

Worst to First in 2001!

13. keeley

keeley Contributing Member

Cincinnati getting a five seed is truly another puzzler.

PS. Utah State vs. Ohio State: that's Clutch's alma mater vs. Kagy's favorite team.

------------------
    The Badministrator

14. haven

haven Member

Keeley: I'll be rooting for Clutch's alma matre. Ohio State (those bastards! stole our coach and our best player, Scoonie Penn, a few years back.

------------------

Worst to First in 2001!

15. ChenZhen

ChenZhen Contributing Member

you guys are spoiled brats...at least you get in every year...UH SUCKS! [​IMG]

------------------

16. haven

haven Member

chenzhen: BC USED to get in almost every year. We had a recruiting scandal in 96 though, which cost us a lot of recruits and our coach. This is the first time we've been since 97.

You guys had your glory in the 80's :p

------------------

Worst to First in 2001!

17. haven

haven Member

Just checked who the Horns are playing though... they should be able to handle Temple pretty easily.

John Chaney's a great coach, but he's winning with smoke and mirrors. I think that the Horns superior athleticism should rip them apart, provided they don't get too spooked by the match-up zone... which isn't being run as well as usual by th Owls.

------------------

Worst to First in 2001!

18. Redglare

Redglare Member

I've never understood how teams are placed in regions. Would a 2 seed mean BC could have been sent out west? If that is the case, I can't help but think the 3 seed is much better for the team.

19. Puedlfor

Puedlfor Contributing Member

Boston College deserved the 2 seed over Iowa St.

------------------
    The Rockets will be the NBA champions. Believe.

20. haven

haven Member

Redglare: Our coach wanted to have BC shipped out to avoid the distractions of being close to home.

Besides, the East region is pretty tough this year. If we were going to get a #3 seed, it should have at least been in the weakest bracket. Duke is probably playing the best ball in the country right now.

------------------

Worst to First in 2001!