1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    Where will the Houston Rockets pick in the 2024 NBA Draft? We're watching the NBA Draft Lottery results live on Sunday, with the room discussion starting at 1:30pm CT. Come join us!

NBA Draft Lottery - LIVE!

Shaedon Sharpe declares for the NBA draft

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by my time to shine, Apr 21, 2022.

1. my time to shine

That’s a huge if. Remember green was advertised as 6’6 pre draft too

2. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Im not so hung up on just height. I do understand that Sharpe offers some + measureables like his wing span that makes some people look at the best case. Im just hesitant to go all in on a guy with just HS tape, but I also could end up being dead wrong. Its just a preference. I think you can start to fill out the roster and have some kind of direction vs just going BPA and waiting for the cream to rise.

No Worries likes this.
  3. conquistador#11

So he's a real person.

Genesis likes this.
  4. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

I think the NBA is heading toward 1 PG, 2 wings and 2 low post players (or maybe 1 PG, 3 wings and 1 low post player). Two 6' 6" ish wings should be able to live together.

I have your same Andrew Wiggins concerns with Sharpe.

Verbal Christ likes this.
  5. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

6. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Great points. Slotting Sharpe at the wing 3 would pique my interest alot more, but not enough to move away from the big guys at the top this year. I dont begrudge Sharpe for coming out with all the hype that he has built, but he may have benefitted more from a true one and done season if he is truly a transcendent talent.

JusBleezy, saleem and groovemachine like this.
  7. groovemachine

groovemachine Member

Wiggins at 5 wouldn’t have been a bad pick. We also had more data on Wiggins based on his year at Kansas, where he showed that he liked to coast and take plays off. Has Sharpe shown similar inclinations? Honestly I’m not even familiar with why he didn’t play this year.

8. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Its the biggest dart throw of the draft IMO. Could you hit a bullseye? Sure. Could you miss entirely? Absolutely. There is an uncomfortable amount of question marks for me to take him over Chet, Jabari, Paolo, Jaden or even Keegan Murray. Even though I may swing for Shapre over Ivey in a battle of the guards/wings in the top 10.

Corrosion, Y2JT, jcmoon and 1 other person like this.
  9. Streakshooter

Streakshooter Member

Is there any footage of his passing?

(seriously would love some honest intel about the kid. I think anyone projected top 5 should have at one elite skill)

10. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

True, that's why Stone is paid big bucks. He can tease out if the kid has improved and if he wants to play team ball. Benedict Mathurin also has upside and he is more experienced and a safer pick at number 5.

11. groovemachine

groovemachine Member

Good point, he will likely go 4-6 range? I could see it playing out something like

4) Sharpe
    5) Ivey
    6) Murray
    7) Mathurin
    8) Duren

top 3 are a toss up at this point imo

12. xaos

xaos Member

Exactly this

I'd be interested in hearing the opinions of the people who wants Sharpe as our pick. Not saying they're wrong, but he's a complete wild card for me. Just a few youtube videos and scouts having him high isn't enough for me.

Now, if Stone picks him I would be excited to have him and trust that Stone did his homework. He looks like a baller, but all I have are some youtube videos.

13. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I have seen some footage of his passing on YouTube. He has decent court vision, but he needs to tighten his handle a lot. Scoring is his forte. He has the frame and quickness to defend, but he looks for steals so he can get out on the fast break.

14. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Only thing set in stone for me is Chet, Jabari and Paolo at the top of the draft. If a team is blessed in the front court enough to convince themselves they wouldnt need that type of player/skillset then you can see Ivey, Sharpe, Mathurin, Griffin, Ogbaji enter their sights and made to have a higher order of importance for whatever team that may be.

IF we are drafting 5 in a worst case and the draft shakes out like Chet, Jabari, Paolo, Ivey and Murray gone before we pick - first thing I do is go take a few shots of tequila and then just defer to Stone. It would be a massive let down for me after tanking all year. A consolation prize in a supplementary draft is just not inspiring.

15. Reeko

Reeko Member

people will have to rely on pre-draft workouts to get the best impression of this kid…high school tape is cool, but unreliable

16. mightybosstone

I do not want to draft Sharpe, even if the Rockets are sitting at 4 or 5 and they think he's the BPA. At some point, you have too many score-first guards, and the Rockets are already there. Drafting another one only further complicates the already complicated dilemma of "how do you start all these guys and find minutes for them?"

But this is a win for the Rockets, regardless, because it increases the likelihood of a better fit for them dropping to 4 or 5 (assuming they're picking there), and that's one more player drafting ahead of them at Brooklyn's pick who will push another guy down to them at 17. If you're sitting at 5, though, and the top 4 guys go first and Sharpe is there, I'd still prefer Murray or one of the other top big or forward prospects.

Corrosion and jcmoon like this.
  17. MystikArkitect

You always draft talent over fit when you don't have much talent. And the Rockets have one real score first guard and one real playmaking center/PF hybrid. Everyone else may as well not even exist. If this team is dumb enough to not get Sharpe or Ivey because KPJ is on the team then they deserve the endless cycle of mediocrity that will follow.

If Ivey or Sharpe is there, which one will be if they pick at 5, then you take them. I think they're probably both better prospects for the Rockets than Jabari who I'm less and less sold on as the days go on. This team needs a second dynamic scoring option (Sharpe, Ivey or Paolo) or an elite defensive prospect (Chet).

That being said I'll take any of those 5. Orlando beating the Cavs was MASSIVE.

noppeper, JusBleezy, 9baller and 4 others like this.
  18. xaos

xaos Member

I can agree with all this except Murray (only because I don't know anything about him! Haha)

I'm a BPA guy for anyone that doesn't seem too duplicate of Green's size/strengths/skills

19. Nook

Nook Member

Sharpe is 6'6" with a 7'0" wingspan and has a strong build according to when he was measured last year as a 17 year old.

There is a good chance he can play the 3 and possibly even the 1.... so there are scenario's where he can fit easily on the Rockets.....

Ideally the Rockets would get a dominant defense center that can score.... but that isn't always an option.

Sharpe's draft position is going to rest on the performance in private workouts.... if he is clearly in the top 5 of this draft, you take him at #5 and don't reach for a player that you don't think will be as good.

Three guard line ups are common and Sharpe has the physical attributes to do well guarding 3's.

Hopefully we get a top 3 pick and it isn't even an issue.

slothy420, JusBleezy, Deuce and 11 others like this.
  20. xaos

xaos Member

How are the scouts veiwing his defense? Playmaking? Off ball offense?