1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Shaedon Sharpe declares for the NBA draft

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by my time to shine, Apr 21, 2022.

1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

His smoothness reminds me of Tmac.

DD

Bo6 likes this.
  2. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

Shooting form and size is there. But it's truly, what you said, his lackadaisical nature that shocks me.

You truly haven't played in 2 years, your at your pro day, and you don't act with any act of urgency or pride to show you belong?

Does not reek of being a competitor or caring enough. Lots of talented prospects just don't want it. I'm just afraid of "that" when I seen this.

3. D-rock

D-rock Member

Ivey is a freak athlete.

But I'd put Sharpe just below him in explosiveness.

No other top 10 player are as nuclear as these 2.

Nook, Milos and groovemachine like this.
  4. D-rock

D-rock Member

Sharpe should be able to play 1-3 on offense.

But not sure about defense.

Has all the physical tools to be good defensively but not a lot of urgency, IQ or discipline.

Although this seems to be the theme in top 5 - other than Chet and Jabari.

But Sharpe is the most natural 3 level scorer and playmaker in top 10 imo, just seems to come easily and smoothly to him.

KingSamJack and groovemachine like this.
  5. fattz

fattz Member

No it’s good to take a deal that hurts a little for the other team to say yes. Portland see the same video and workouts so Portland needs to get great return or they will just draft Sharpe for themselves. Sharpe seems to be worth the pain (overpay) and fits our timing where Portland needs help now because D.L. That is why I put it is this tread. Win/Win To trade for his draft rights will be costly. We have our first wave of development maturing and it’s time to turn it for even more talent. i.e. two 50cent pieces (Wood & Porter), a quarter (Tate) and a dime (Martin) plus a trip to the store (MIL FRP) for one silver dollar (Sharpe) and filler (Bledsoe). So the extra 35 cents and ride is to get them to say yes. I think Sharpe is worth it and cleanse our roster for more growth. Wall is here we NEED a veteran point so use him. Please never question my Rockets fandom.

hakeem94 likes this.
  6. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

I watched that and don't see any wow moments.

I look at Sharpe and see him in slow motion.

I always want to say, "play it in regular speed"

Can we see him guarded by a talented SF.....not 40-something y/o Rafer Alston

#306 ApacheWarrior, May 17, 2022
    Last edited: May 17, 2022
    D-rock and RasaqBoi like this.
  7. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

What you're saying makes sense. It would be good to see him in action.

coachbadlee likes this.
  8. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Poor mans Kawhi MAYBE at his ultimate projection? I dont know. There is nothing to go by other than high school film. What highly ranked prospect DOESNT have killer high school tape? His handle looks a little under developed for someone who will need to thrive with the ball in his hand I would think. This kid may gain the most by getting out there in the scrimmages but he wont. None of the highly ranked prospects will risk draft slot or a slide over a bad couple of games/days. Some of these guys arent even putting out practice sessions for draftniks to dissect for that reason alone probably.

Watching these prospects practice against air does remind me of the Master!!!

[​IMG]

#308 Verbal Christ, May 17, 2022
    ApacheWarrior likes this.
  9. Imanimal

Imanimal Member

He reminded me of a more athletic Daishan Nix. Looked slow like Nix, but can jump like KPJ. Lack of speed killed Nixs’ game and should temper our expectations on Sharpe. Ivey has the burst of speed these other guys dream of and should go #4 or better in this draft. If we get #5, then it’ll be Keegan Murray for better or worse.

10. Bo6

Bo6 Member

I'd take him at 5.

A KPJ-Green-Sharpe 1-3 lineup is a ton of firepower.

11. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Scrubs at 24 can do windmill dunks? Wow

12. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

i am fully out on Sharpe.

Not wowed by that workout footage. Think its a ton of hype hype hype action. Someone is working the phones, social media, etc. extremely well.

Doesn't mean i think he'll be bad - just not top 5.

Especially, not that its a deal breaker, that he plays the same position as JG and truly honestly doesn't the size to play SF (except in small bursts) or skill-set to play PG. He's a SG. and JG... is a SG. If Im choosing a position to double, triple, quadruple up on, its forwards, not SGs.

Our forwards are our weak spot anyway, as it has been for like a decade. I'm not taking a forward just to take a forward, but a guy like Keegan Murray isn't likely to be a #1 guy and heck maybe not even a #2 guy. But a solid 2b that gives you mid-teens plus ppg in a couple years consistently for the next 5-8 years is easily see-able from him (think Tobias Harris, esque). Or maybe a tradeback for a Sochan type, who can impact W-L potentially meaningfully. If I'm at 5, I'm much more tempted to go that route. I VERY VERY VERY VERY strongly consider moving back to pick up another pick in 2023, if someone really has a hard on to get to that 5 spot. Ofc, i'd rather be top 3 and get one of the bigs, all of whom I view just as much as 4s as 5s (if not more so).

My two cents.

BigMaloe, D-rock, Milos and 1 other person like this.
  13. saleem

I bet Stone will get to see that in a workout with our Houston Rockets, if we end up with the 5th pick. Hopefully, we will end up at 1 or 2.

14. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

I think his handlers were wise to advise him to sit the season out with Kentucky.

Most of those shots get contested with a hand in his face, his side steps are a
    tad slow and allow quicker NBA talent to move their feet in position to get a
    hand up. Don't really need to jump as a defender. Just contest, hand up,
    and don't foul.

That move at the free throw line where he turns toward an invisible defender
    (guy says nice move) doesn't look like he could make that work in the NBA.
    I would like to see him pull that move on a real defender.....not vs a chair or
    cone or invisible defender.

Had he played this year he probably would be going near J Hardy pick in the draft.
    I can't imagine any scouts were impressed by his pro day. I see him falling and
    we could probably pick him at #17 if we wanted.

15. saleem

I'm fine with trading back for Sochan and a completely unprotected 2023 1st round pick provided if the Rockets deal with a nearly certain bottom dweller, and if the 2023 rd class is expected to be deeply talented.

#315 saleem, May 17, 2022
  16. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Yes, we don't have to bring brooms to shoot over or pool noodles.

Just a simple 6'5" guy actually raising his hand to contest.
    I don't want to see Sharpe shooting over that 6'2" guy that
    never lifts his hand. Only time was when one of them said
    "You don't want to go one-on-one" [near the 3-pt line]

17. j@amc

j@amc Member

Sharpe oozes with confidence now, and why not? He's a projected top-8 NBA selection and hasn't played for a coach in some time. I'd be confident too and focus on doing my thing.

His athleticism is for real, and it catches my eye that he can move so casually and almost touch the rim with his eyebrows. And Sharpe has the beginnings of some solid combination dribbles that will get him (or other people) solid looks.

But what kind of head does he have on his shoulders? Hopefully, interviews will clarify something about his will to win, his overall knowledge of finer points in basketball, and whether he looks like someone who would surround himself with the right sorts of people.

18. saleem

Bro, I just read an excerpt from Kevin Garnett. He told that he went up one on one with Scottie Pippen in 1995 in front of Michael Jordan and Zeke. It was very competitive. Zeke told KG he could enter the NBA right now
    immediately after that. KG hadn't made up his mind to enter the draft by that time. He was 18 years old at the time of this incident.

Sharpe really needed to put in everything before deciding to put his hat into the ring. My gut feeling is that he can become a good pro in a few years with hard work. He's a G-league player with above average talent right now.

D-rock likes this.
  19. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Bro, to say Stone is going to check these guys out is a given.

Why are you protecting the kid without video tape vs higher competition
    so adamantly?

Are you saying Stone needs to work out Banchero thoroughly?
    Jabari?
    Ivey?
    Chet? Needs a bone density scan?

Don't assume everything is, as it always was. Covid-19 has changed a lot of things.
    https://nba.nbcsports.com/2020/10/1...skip-live-player-workouts-ahead-of-nba-draft/
    Must I place a small note disclaimer with this kid? It's understood in most cases

#319 ApacheWarrior, May 17, 2022
  20. saleem

Please don't be upset bro. I'm not trying to protect Sharpe or crticizing anyone else. My only purpose in bringing this up is because young kids will no experience are being drafted so high ala Kwame Brown. Players like KG, Bryant and Lebron were unique. McGrady was a tier below them.