1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Shaedon Sharpe declares for the NBA draft

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by my time to shine, Apr 21, 2022.

1. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

With 15-20 lbs of added muscle and an athletic lengthy forward he will be just fine.

2. vator

vator Contributing Member

3. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

is this how they scout players now? I’ve seen scrub NBA players hoop like this at 24 hour fitness. Just saying solo workouts are weird for me to judge.

4. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

I agree. There’s no doubt he has physical tools, handle, jumper, footwork.
    But can he do it 5 on 5

hakeem94, BigMaloe, Stephen_A and 2 others like this.
  5. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

He looks legit, but what does the rest of his game look like? Can he rebound? Can he defend? Is he a good passer? He looks like he’s got great handles. He looks like a very long, talented shooting guard to me.

BigMaloe, KingSamJack, King1 and 4 others like this.
  6. vator

vator Contributing Member

7. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

OKC has 2 picks. They can afford to take him. They have SGA, and Lu Dort. I wouldn't have a problem with Sharpe if he played well for Kentucky. He's too raw, but he has the tools to be a good player. He needs to play in the G-league, before being brought into the NBA. He probably would have been nearer 17 in last year's draft, because of his lack of game experience.

hakeem94 and RasaqBoi like this.
  8. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I have only seen his highlights on YouTube. He's not a black hole, he can pass to shooters in the corner. That's all I can say about his passing skills. He can rebound. He got into a nice defensive stance but he didn't stop his man in a clip. He appeared casual in it, lacking focus. That was alarming to observe.

I haven't seen anything from his practices at Kentucky. The 5 on 5 scrimmage should give us a better idea about him, if he chooses to participate in it.

#288 saleem, May 16, 2022
    Last edited: May 16, 2022
    D-rock likes this.
  9. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

that's the concern with him is he hasn't played much competitively in the past 2 years. his timeline is:

Jr. high school season: ranked outside the top 100 in his class
    Sr. high school season: plays 12 games in EYBL and jumps up to #1 in his class
    reclassifies and doesn't play this season as to not hurt his draft stock
    by the time summer league begins he wouldn't have played competitively for over a year, and just 12 games (against high schoolers) in 2 years

really tough to project, but the measurable are for real. he's got great size, wingspan, vertical, etc... it will all come down to if you believe in his work ethic, ability to be coached, and how impressed you are by solo workouts like this.

its really hard for me to put him above the top 4 because of those question marks. but also its hard for me to pass up his potential at #5 given the steep drop off into the next tier of prospects.

RasaqBoi, Aruba77 and MaxRider like this.
  10. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Looks slow, especially when you see Ivey's burst.

ApacheWarrior likes this.
  11. ClearLakeTX

ClearLakeTX Member

Next Luka

hakeem94 likes this.
  12. KingSamJack

KingSamJack Member

I am becoming a fan @Nook @D-rock you think he can play the 3?

13. fattz

fattz Member

He has potential to be the next ??? Hopefully he can make it happen in Rockets gear as our second pick of the night.

Wood, Porter, Tate, Martin & MIL 2023 FRP.
    …for…
    Portland’s pick if he still available
    Bledsoe (cap room) & the pick

Dream’s can come true…
    J Smith (Rockets pick) S Sharpe (Trailblazers pick) & Kendall Brown (Nets pick) and last year’s players will the rebuild be done?

Starting players:
    Wall / Green / Sharpe / Smith / Sengun
    Key Role players:
    Christopher / Garuba / Brown

14. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

I don't think he should do the 5 on 5. He's already slotted to go top 7 at least. No need for it.

hakeem94 likes this.
  15. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Dam!! You got rid of Porter and brought back Wall??!! You must be a Portland fan.

16. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Not if he can play the 3.

17. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

Idk but that video made me not like him as a prospect .

Like wtf am I supposed to get out of this pro day?

Lots of clean footwork but nothing besides dunking had explosion. None of the moves has overwhelming athleticism to me.

18. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

I am with you.

I am not seeing him use his athleticism at all.

hakeem94 and Verbal Christ like this.
  19. Nook

Nook Member

What are you supposed to get? Not much… but the people in attendance get a general idea of his real size, they get to see how he moves in person, how he gets off the ground and his shooting form. It’s an introductory appearance so that’s about as much as anyone will get… what I saw was positive, but limited… my concern with him is that he doesn’t seem to have any sense of urgency and can look lackadaisical. It’s consistent with some reports that he isn’t quite mature yet. That attitude may keep him from being an all time great but there are plenty of Hall of Famers that had a similar demeanor.

It’s also pretty obvious he has touch, but does he have the drive? IDK…. 25 years ago he likely would have been chewed up and spit out but this is a very different era of basketball - but I would like to still see some fire, even stoic players like Duncan had a fire… he reminds me demeanor wise a lot of Jeremy Lamb…. Having said that, I would probably still take him at 3.

20. Nook

Nook Member

Ehh he did some on the dribbles and dunks. He is supposedly a guy that is all instinct on the court so his quickness and explosiveness adjusts according to competition and talent on the court. For example he would lay it up sometimes on clear breaks but would in contested plays split the defense and dunk with his head near the rim.

saleem and D-rock like this.