1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Shaedon Sharpe declares for the NBA draft

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by my time to shine, Apr 21, 2022.

1. Caesar

Caesar Member

Thanks and while i may not be high on KPj, i'd certainly keep him if we end up taking one of the bigger guys in the draft. One more season to really figure it out. I do see him mostly succeeding as a SG and can't see Green playing anything but SG himself. With Ivey, i think there's a pace to which he can develop more in a point guard role that i would personally prefer next to Green - at least vs KPj at point. I know there doesn't have to be a traditional pure point, but i'm looking at it from the idea of Ivey not being a heavy dribbler and faster to get to spots to make decisions with less dribbles while KPj likes to dance a bit too much for my liking and i also don't like KPjs off ball movement which is an area he can really improve on as he's already very good in catch and shoot situations. If Ivey is the pick, i'd still like to give KPj the run at SF and see if we can go small and dominate on the break and attack the rim relentlessly. We'd suffer defensively even more though, unfortunately, but these are the early rebuild years.

If Sharpe is the pick, i see him in a bench role or developing in the g-league most of the year anyway.

2. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

who cares? Not top 5. Not that good. Potential that’s all. Hype

ApacheWarrior likes this.
  3. saleem

saleem Member

Potential and a long term project. This draft appears thin after 4, who would you pick at 5?

matchesmalone likes this.
  4. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

Im just rating by talent. Ivey has the most talent out of this group and future star in my opinion. I love Keegan Murray. Heres my list based on talent/level of play.

Ivey
    Murray
    Chet
    Smith
    Banchero

5. saleem

saleem Member

Lucas is the real coach off the court. His wealth of experience as a championship level guard for the Rockets is a blessing. He should get a raise. TF mustn't let him go. I'm in favor of selecting Ivey at 4. KPJ has played as a SF for the Cavs. Josh Christopher seems to be the odd man out, unfortunately. He's too good for limited minutes even right now. I like his maturity and IQ.

D-rock and Caesar like this.
  6. saleem

saleem Member

I too feel Ivey might become the best player out of the draft. Murray is good. I hope he won't be a tweener. I like his maturity and I think he's malleable to fit as a 3 as well. I'm not sure if he's talented enough as the 5th pick. I might be wrong. We definitely need a two way 6'8 SF with size who doesn't need the ball in his hands all the time.

7. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Member

I don't think the G-Leauge is a terrible idea to give Sharpe burn at the beginning of the season, but I would hope for a similar trajectory to Green's rookie year. It took him a while to put things together and figure out a recipe for success, and I don't think he gets there without starter minutes.

saleem and Caesar like this.
  8. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

I agree we need a 2 way player that doesn’t do too much and just understands his role. A Klay Thompson type. I like Smith and if he does this he will excel in that role. I just think he’s overrated in terms of what people think he is. And in college he tried to play one on one at times which isn’t his game.

9. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

Agree! Just watching Sharpe's matador defense and lack of interest makes me cringe. Elite athleticism and 3-level scoring look great in HS, but lack of competitiveness on defense is a clear warning sign for me.

BigMaloe, xaos and ApacheWarrior like this.
  10. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Emoni Bates is a good example of why people should be leary

Looking great in highschool but not so great like Emoni or Hardy vs
    greater competition should have everyone pump the brakes on Sharpe

Buyer beware on those skirting their way into the NBA and bypassing
    actual play or action. Never buy a car at night either. The poor lighting
    tends to hide most of the flaws.

BMoney and Shark44 like this.
  11. Hemingway

Hemingway Member
    Supporting Member

I thought Emoni looked great his first 3 games and the injury and attitude got him benched. I agree that we shouldn’t reach for Sharpe, but if Stone works him out and goes for it, I will trust that I am wrong.

mikenm268 likes this.
  12. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

But the workouts show tangibles like speed, verticals, cuts around cones,
    shooting off screens, stand still shooting.

It doesn't show heart, grit, determination, how a player acts in a shooting slump
    or when a teammate yells at him.......or kicked in the jewels by Draymond or
    elbowed in the head by Embiid.

I don't want a fake tough guy who shrinks in the limelight or when confronted
    like Matt Barnes did with Budinger

and I wouldn't call 9.7 pts, 39% (FG%), 33% (3P%), 65% (FT%) as an apex predator

#252 ApacheWarrior, May 15, 2022
    Last edited: May 15, 2022
    Stephen_A likes this.
  13. MystikArkitect

In terms of talent it's Chet, Ivey, Sharpe, Banchero, Jabari. No one in this draft class comes close to Chet from a talent standpoint. But he's a gamble as these unicorns always are.

There's a clear Top 5 in talent in this draft and then you're getting role players. Murray is a role player.

14. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

Disagree but ok. Chet is too much of a gamble to me. Reminds me of a taller mike dunleavey with better interior D. Not sold on the physique. NBA is a different game. If anything to me he could be a capable role player.

15. saleem

saleem Member

My gut feeling is that Sharpe won't shrink on offense, but he isn't as good as Green despite being bigger. He doesn't dribble the ball past a defender much. A plus point is that he isn't a black hole by any means. He's not going to be a point guard/ point forward but he can pass fairly well.

Defense is my concern, about him being causal or lazy. He has the physique to become an adequate defender or even a good one if he puts in work. He likes to go for steals, which isn't bad, but certainly not good enough.

It will come down to making the right decision about his mentality. There's no doubt that sitting out the season for Kentucky and only practising for them, can be a red flag. He might work hard before the draft in order to be picked at 4 or 5, and then just get satisfied by making it to the NBA. I do feel he will accept the challenge as a scorer though. I think Stone will make the right decision whether to take a chance or to pass up on him.

16. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

Or go shopping after you've been drinking!

ApacheWarrior likes this.
  17. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

What kind of money back guarantee do we get if we draft Sharpe? Every player is a gamble;
    but since we saw Kevin Porter and C Wood have a melt down during a certain halftime this
    past season.....I don't think we want another guy that pouts or have us change one out for another.

Not one on a rookie contract set for 5 years. We saw Emoni Bates cop an attitude with
    coaching? teammates? this season at Memphis.

Fact of the matter is, many kids nowadays may be spoiled brats....don't like being
    told what to do. Sharpe put himself in a position where no one could tell him what
    to do. Thus no blowouts or scenes witnessed.

18. larsv8

larsv8 Member

Man, I keep going back and forth on this guy. Right now I am not sold.

Outside the athleticism, what does he do well? What is he elite at?

Really hope we get top 4.

19. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Member

The shooting upside and shot creation seem to be pretty stellar, and the toolkit is mechanically smooth. If he can rely on those traits and utilize his athleticism to expand his game to the mid range, he can potentially offer nuclear scoring.

mikenm268 and Caesar like this.
  20. Imanimal

Imanimal Member

Wow….just wow….that’s like calling Manute Bol an amazing athlete. C’mon man. Chet showed his true colors against decent talent in the NCAA tournament and it wasn’t pretty. Bunch of fouls as he couldn’t hold his own. Timme was the star.