1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sh^t White People Say to Asians

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by rocketsjudoka, Jan 17, 2012.

Tags:
  1. HayesStreet

HayesStreet Member

The idea is that you shouldn't judge someone based on how they look.

2. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Umm where have you been :).

Welcome back!

3. HayesStreet

HayesStreet Member

sabbatical. thanks! :)

[edit] Just saw you changed your name again. Was wondering. Good to see you Det!

#23 HayesStreet, Jan 17, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 17, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  4. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

I bet they do. Eastern European accents can get pretty thick, and are not going to be mistaken for American.

5. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Who are you and what did you do for the last 3 years?

;)

Welcome back !

DD

6. ChrisBosh

ChrisBosh Member

This video just shows me why everyone seems to suffer from ADD.....

7. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

If they're old and educated/successfull enough, or just the youngest, blackest guys in the room, these are actually the two most offensive things you can say.

8. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

Agreed. I'm not condoning any kind of racist stereotypes. It was just something that stood out when the "racist stuff people say to u" conversations came up with friends.

Maybe the athlete thing, and that's only if it's a backhanded compliment. As in, "your great at running, just not thinking"...I don't think I've ever seen anyone, of an race, get upset about saying they have a large penis. Granted, I'm not usually around many other black professionals in "corporate america". The younger guys I'm friends with outside of work aren't usually the same color as me.

#28 pmac, Jan 17, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2012
  9. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Hell, I was about to post two paragraphs saying the same thing, Hayes, so thanks and welcome back! :-D-

10. deekay209

deekay209 Contributing Member

Everybody, lets yao ming now!!!!

11. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

Why do you eat so damn loud? It's rude

12. finalsbound

finalsbound Contributing Member

haha, i thought the video was hilarious. sounds more like "**** dumb white girls say to asians."

strangely enough, i've been asked the question "where are you from? no, where are your parents from?" ...but only by old asian women.

part irish...part swedish...part german...i have to thrown in the "part iroquois indian" because i guess that's the only sufficient explanation for why i look ethnic "enough" to make people think i'm part asian.

13. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I come from the Dustin Hoffman, Robert DeNiro school of acting and really commit to my roles. ;)

14. apollo33

apollo33 Member

same reason we talk very loudly on our cell phones in the library at UCLA

15. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The problem is that there really is no such thing as a "positive stereotype". It's a disservice to individuals who may or may not live up to the stereotype but another problem though with what a positive stereotype is that it makes people more willing to accept other stereotypes that may not be considered positive. For example the stereotype that Jews are smart and good with money is a positive stereotype but that stereotype goes hand in hand with stereotype that Jews are sneaky and stingy.

Welcome back Hayesstreet..

16. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Thank God people aren't being racist against white people by being racist.

1 person likes this.
  17. Another Brother

Another Brother Contributing Member

this made me laugh..to myself, of course.

18. Apps

Apps Member

That's because the "being good at math" stereotype might seem "positive" to you, but it has absolutely no positive effect.

No one ever goes up to a black guy and says "Hey, YOU have a big black dick, why don't YOU stick it into that mysterious hole over there?"

No one ever goes up to a white guy and says "Hey, YOU have excellent credit, why don't YOU make an ill-advised purchase for me?"

But whenever someone says "Hey, you're Asian! You're good at math!", it's usually followed by "Why don't you help me with my math homework" or "Why don't you do this problem for me" or "Ughhh how come you don't know how to do this??? Worst Asian ever!!!11" and so on.

The being "good at math" stereotype is nothing but a detriment. Asians are thus lowered to being nothing more than a tutor/cheat tool in a math class, and their social value, whether or not it is done so consciously by others, is cheapened by it.

19. kidcave9

kidcave9 Contributing Member

So this is what bobby lee is doing now and days...

20. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

please don't post those pictures...that's just gross...of wait, you said clock.

Reminds me of a phony phone call where Sal calls a clock store and the asian lady that answers the phone doesn't/can't pronounce the L in clock.