1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

SG:U (StarGate: Universe)

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Hayesfan, Oct 5, 2009.

Tags:
  1. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

Did anyone watch the premiere of this show last week?

I am not a big stargate fan, but I decided to check it out.

It has potential (plus I like a couple of the actors, Ming Na, David Blue etc)

2. VesceySux

VesceySux Contributing Member

Making over Stargate into a serious Battlestar Galactica-style drama is an interesting proposition. Not sure it'll play well with the Stargate faithful, though. I thought the pilot was fairly good, but the shaky cam, odd camera angles, flawed characters with personal demons, gritty "realism," and other hallmarks of BSG were a bit jarring to watch. I'm used to breezy, lowest-common-denominator sci-fi lite from my Stargate shows, so this will take time to get used to.

Still, I'll be watching, because hey, it's Stargate.

3. tested911

tested911 Member

Big fan of the Stargate series here.. I did watch SGU and was disappointed at how so much character development the season opener was.. Yes I know it's the 1st episode so I'm hoping there will be more Sci-fi and a lot less soap opera. But from what I've been reading on the sci-fi.com website it will have a lot less of the stargate feel and a lot more battlestar Galactica ( :( a lot of character drama )

4. Nice Rollin

Nice Rollin Contributing Member

5. Nice Rollin

Nice Rollin Contributing Member

but i do like star wars

6. Steve_Francis_rules

I'm a big stargate fan. I watched the pilot and I'll definitely continue to tune in.

7. Depressio

Depressio Contributing Member

It intrigued me enough to watch Stargate: Atlantis (which I hadn't seen more of since the season 1 premiere several years ago).

8. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Premier was Meh IMO. Eli is the only redeeming character. So far.

It's an interesting premise. I'm a big SG fan, so like most SG fans, I will watch it.

Chloe is a poor man's Summer Glau.

I'm waiting for Robert Carlile to go Begbie on someone.

9. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

It had low expectations .... and it met them. It was probably a little better than I expected. There were a couple large plot holes that SG fans will not let slide. Its been well known that this show will revolve around more drama and less sci-fi, which will lead to an early demise.

Im not harsh on the acting, but the screenwriting has much to be desired. IMO, the forced sex scene shows the writers are still in the experimental stage of the show, which does not bode well in capturing a steady audience. I wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't make it past two seasons, four at the max. My guess is three seasons.

10. Hayesfan

He's the only reason I originally decided to tune in. He was in a couple of other shows and I loved him in them. One was Moonlight where he played a computer hacker (much like Eli, but that show was canceled) and the other was he played an adorable gay photographer on Ugly Betty.

Ming Na was a pleasant surprise...

I was one of the people who enjoyed BSG so I am thinking that the character stuff is okay with me.

I didn't watch the original series or atlantis, so I had no expectations for this... the only thing I had seen of Stargate was the movie.

11. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

It was Meh.

The Eli character got annoying. [I hate the whole stereotypic THE NEW GUY IS SMARTER THAN THE GUY THAT HAS STUDIED IT FOR DECADES]
    I worked in Stargate the movie. . . but in the show i will get old

They basically recycled some characters
    ELI = Daniel Jackson/McCoy
    The Main Soldier = McGyver/The other Captain
    I think the Senator's Daughter = perky cute chick

No we need to find a Friendly Alien working hard to fit in . . . blah blah blah
    [I think this will happen by Episode 5]

Rocket River
    I will keep looking because I am a Sci Fi Junkie
    but . .. . My hopes are not high

Well . . .Sactuary starts this week.

Rocket River

12. Hayesfan

did you watch the webisodes?

13. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I'm hoping for a nice in between of Stargate and BSG. The first epidsode was not very good. I usually enjoy a good origin story.

Dr Rush should have been played by Tim Duncan to get more credibility that it doesn't look like he cares about if they live or die. Right now, this character is just plain annoying.

Eli...I see him as the levity for the show.

14. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

Tried to watch it several times. I don't know if it was more that it was boring or that I had other things going on but I couldn't stick with it.

I will try it again but I'm not very optimistic.

15. GraingerGuy

GraingerGuy Member

I really couldn't get into it. Neither could my wife. She said something that did kind of scare (for lack of a better term) me. She said, "I hope it doesn't turn into another Star Trek:Voyager. Just people trying to get home." I truly also hope this is not something that happens.

I also couldn't get into the characters.

The colonel doesn't have much personality. The Lieutenant seemed like a pansy. The senator's daughter is a bit annoying. And the smart doctor guy is just creepy. Math nerd boy is the only one that I kind of liked.

I'm going to keep on watching it as I am a Stargate fan....and I really hope it does turn out to be good.

Yes...yes I am. :)

1 person likes this.
  16. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I loved all the Stargate shows and BSG. The opener was OK. This sci-fi addict will keep watching. The BSG feel is great but the scripts better be good enough to match the seriousness. I can see where it could get very corny and boring.

17. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Watching the 3rd Episode.
    I will probably give it the season.
    Still not MUST SEE yet.

I figure they will eventually get some PuddleJumpers

Rocket River

18. Gakatron

Gakatron Contributing Member

Interesting ending to the third episode. Is Eli getting a bit annoying for anyone else? just seems a bit too over the top.

19. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

He is endanger of becoming Wesley Crusher

Rocket River

20. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Eli is very annoying. So far, Rush's character so far has been the only redeeming character. Greer did well in the combat situation, but i think they will wreck his character in non combat situations.

Unfortunately, i think the writing will go towards over the top drama as opposed to a realistic approach. Eli has gone from a nerdy kid camped up in a basement to an obnoxious kids dancing around in a desert for 12 hours. I understand Eli is the comic relief, but i think its being implemented poorly. I think they did McKay very well in SGA.

Reading over future episodes synopsis, it appears this show has very little to do with the actual Stargates and is appears its basically trying to use the SG fanbase to create a new show.