1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

SF's in the draft

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by Greg#3, May 29, 2001.

1. Greg#3

Greg#3 Member

Which small forward would you most prefer the Rockets draft at 13, 22, or any other pick we might end up with?

Shane Battier - the most ready player as all of you know but not in the Rockets range

Jason Richardson - one of the most athletic and a good scorer, a PTP as Dick Vitale says, probably a top 8 selection and would require a trade up from #13

Pau Gasol - 7'1" small forward will create matchup problems, only averaged 11 ppg in Europe though, might be at #13 but would require a contract buyout for him to play his first year

Joe Johnson - good size at SF and can also play SG, great ball handler, can create his own shot, plays defense, possibly at #13

Richard Jefferson - outstanding athletisicm and defense, hard worker who has only played the wing for 3 years, shut down Richardson in the Final 4, improving offensive game, should be there at #13

Gearld Wallace - the most athletic of the bunch IMO, great work ethic which would make him a good fit with Stevie and Cat, not yet ready to contribute after 7 ppg at Alabama, could be avaliable at #22

I still can't decide who I like the most and with Shandon Anderson likely gone from FA, who should the Rockets draft????

------------------

2. RichRocket

RichRocket Member

In my mock, I have Battier dropping to the Rockets at 13. I just see a run on the younger guys coming into play. I think Battier will be this year's Paul Pierce. I think he fits our club very well and is the prototypical RT/CD prospect: heady and seasoned.... and championship-seasoned.

I'd love to see us get Gerald Wallace with #22.

------------------
    Time is a great teacher-- only problem is it kills all its pupils.

3. rocketsfan

rocketsfan Member

Who the Rockets pick in the draft depends on where the pick. Depending on the out-come of the talks about the #18 pick the Rockets might be picking high or just were they are at. If they do move up then Rudy is in love with Shane Battier. personally I like Joe Johnson better. He is @6'9 can handle the rock, score and play D. Pau Gasol is an intresting pick. Many of the scouts seem to be very high on him. If the Rocks pick at #13 then Richard Jefferson would be the most likely pick.

I would prefer Joe Johnson.

------------------
    take it one day at a time

4. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

Yeah but you never seen Pau play before. he could turn out to be a bust.

------------------
    President of the Steve Francis, Jamal Crawford,Larry Hughes, and Charles Woodson fan club.

5. enbehay

enbehay Member

I vote for Joe Johnson. Rudy likes versatility, ball handling, defense, shooting ability and size. Johnson has all those qualities. He may fall to #13 but I doubt it -- newspaper reports from other cities have both Johnson, Gasol and White climbing. I really think Johnson is Rudy's guy, and they will choose Sam Dalembert with #22. I strongly suspect Dalembert is Rudy's 2001 sleeper pick.

------------------

6. tacoma park legend

tacoma park legend Contributing Member

This is how I rate em'
    1- Joe Johnson
    2- Rodney White
    3- Shane Battier
    4- Pau Gasol(the rockets can't afford to take on another project. They already have a project in Langhi, and they are going to need immediate help from whoever they draft.
    5-Richard Jefferson
    6- Gerald Wallace

------------------

7. vj23k

vj23k Contributing Member

Here are my preferences:

1. Battier
    2. Johnson
    3. Jefferson
    4. White
    5. Gasol
    6. Wallace

Really don't believe all this Gasol hype.

How many of his fans have actually seen him play?

------------------
    Never Underestimate the Heart of a Champion

8. RichRocket

RichRocket Member

Hey, I could live very happily with Joe Johnson but you seem to overlook Battier's D.

He has been NCAA Division I Defensive Player of the Year for at least 2 seasons running. Battier plays defense with his feet where it is played best. The high-flying defensive stuff only acounts for a miniscule percentage of defensive plays although it does make the highlight reels ... but then so did Cato's dunk-a-rainbow!

One other note: Battier is built like a 4. He is not slender and sleek. He is solid. I believe that whoever gets him will find him to be much stronger than anticipated.

There is some legitimate suspicion about his quickness but headiness should make up for it. He has excelled for 4 years at the top level of NCAA competition. How much more (and how so) can he prove himself?

------------------

9. RocketFan007

RocketFan007 Contributing Member

I believe the Rockets will most likely select a big man with number 13, probably Woods, Haywood or Bradley. Then with the 18 or 22 pick up a small forward. But if either Joe Johnson or Battier are available at 13 I beleive they should be drafted.

------------------

10. Greg#3

Greg#3 Member

Most ready - Battier without a doubt. He can do all the little things.

Most potential - a toss up IMO between Wallace and Gasol. Wallace because of his athleticism and Gasol because of his all around game and size.

Best current offensive game - ?
    I could make a case for Johnson, Richardson, and Gasol, so this is very debatable.

Best defender - Battier or Jefferson. Battier's defense is more polished but Jefferson is more athletic and is still improving. In a few years, I think Jefferson will be better.

Best ball handler - Joe Johnson

My preferences as of this very second:
    Pau Gasol (If you've missed the thread on him, go ahead and read it. It's a good one)

------------------

11. nejyh

nejyh Contributing Member

My preferences :
    At Pick #13
    1. Joe Johnson
    2. Pau Gasol
    3. Richard Jefferson

At Pick #22
    1. Gerald Wallace
    2. Kendrick Brown
    3. Terrence Morris

First post, Hi from Africa.

------------------
    Go Rockets Go!

12. Greg#3

Greg#3 Member

What's up nejyh? That's crazy, posting at 4:39AM local time. Thanks for your comments. Are you a Rockets fan?? I take it that you are.

------------------

13. nejyh

nejyh Contributing Member

Right, I'm a huge Rockets fan down here from 1993 when I started watching some NBA games on the french tv channel canal+ .Of course choosing the Rockets as my favorite team had something to do with Mr. Hakeem Olajuwon. Unforyunately after the championships years and the Scottie Pippen fiasco we don't watch so many Rockets' games on C+ anymore. That's why I really have to thank and praise Clutch and his crew for all the hard work to give us fresh and almost "live" infos about the Rockets any given day. I feel very fortunate to log on to cc.net every morning since february 1999 when I come to my office and when my LAN is not down...
    My local time is GMT+1.

------------------
    Go Rockets Go!

14. Band Geek Mobster

Rocket fans from Africa, that is awesome.

Welcome to the board nejyh

------------------
    Sell crazy someplace else. We're all stocked up here...

15. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

nejyh-You wouldn't happen to know anything about Sagana Diop or Ousmane Cisse would you? [​IMG]

------------------
    "That's been a lifelong dream of mine." -Vince Carter, after laying it in on a breakaway, much to the Vancouver crowd's displeasure.

16. The Midnight Sun

I say the rockets should pick joe johnson. he has an all around game. rudy's type of player. battier is good, but who was the last Duke star in the NBA? Hill! jefferson is good defensively and had a good final four, but what about the year? Gasol? who has seen him play? with the 18 pick they should take either dalembert or ken johnson. dalembert has a 7-7 wingspan! with the last pick (which i think the rocets should keep) they should take either wallace or morris. wallace, when he learns to shoot, will be awesome. morris will rise above the media dogma and be a very good player, a rudy type player!

------------------
    "The Great One"

17. RocketFan007

RocketFan007 Contributing Member

enbehay- Please don;t mention the name of Samuel Dalembert. nbadraft.com has his NBA comparision as Kelvin Cato [​IMG] We MUST stay away from Dalembert!

------------------

[This message has been edited by RocketFan007 (edited May 30, 2001).]

18. tacoma park legend

tacoma park legend Contributing Member

nejyh, welcome to the board.

What country in Africe are you from? It wouldn't happen to be Senegal would it? I know that they have French ties.

------------------

19. RichRocket

RichRocket Member

Grant Hill was the last Duke NBA star, but Elton Brand is on his way and Corey Magette has show flashes. Avery should be solid.

The real question is who was the last Hog to make it big in the NBA? Sidney Moncrief?! Don't even try Corliss Williamson.

------------------

20. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Why not just draft Terrence Morris for the 3 and backup 2? So many people think he'll be a bust but we already have scorers. We need someone who can dribble, pass, shoot from outside, post up, defend. He's also Steve's bud so Steve'll be there to kick his butt from time to time. Maybe others don't see it, but in the NBA zone, this guy could be just the fit, a sleeper pick. If taken at 22, some will say we wasted the pick. He could actually be a steal.

He also spent four years in college and Rudy will value this.

------------------