1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

SF is losing value. Trade him now!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by mag, Nov 29, 2003.

Tags:
  1. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Houston trades:
    Maurice Taylor
    Steve Francis
    Moochie Norris

Houston receives
    Ricky Davis
    Zydrunas Illgauskas
    Kevin Ollie

Trade Accepted - Think it has to be after Dec. 15th due to Ollie recently signing a contract.

Houston Lineup - Key Players:

PG: Jim Jackson / Cuttino Mobley, Kevin Ollie
    SG: Jim Jackson / Cuttion Mobley, Eric Piatkowski
    SF: Ricky Davis, Bostjan Nachbar, Jim Jackson
    PF: Z. Ilgauskas / Yao Ming, Kelvin Cato
    C: Z. Ilgauskas / Yao Ming, Kelvin Cato

It doesn't matter who starts at the PG/SG spot or the PF/SF spot. Continue to make changes later in the season/offseason as necessary. May not solve all of your offensive problems, especially with no true PG, but definitely makes you a better defensive team and if we're going to grind it out anyway, than that is a plus. And it makes you very very large in the frontcourt - 3 legitimate players to throw at Shaq / Duncan.

Salary wise, Big Z has the biggest chunk of the salary you're taking on, and his contract is up this year, I think. Davis and Ollie both have another 4 years, but neither are getting paid more than they're worth. Moochie and Taylor certainly are. Davis is apparently a cancer, but you never know what a change of scenery might do. Cleveland does the deal for obvious reasons - Stever Francis & Lebron James - especially given the way Lebron likes to pass. Taylor, when healthy is a serviceable PF in the East, although at this point Boozer is probably the better option. They loss Ilgauskas, but were they going to resign him anyway? Were they ever going to get good anyway?

Just my entry into the trade threads, especially for those looking to get rid of Steve and/or Mobley.

This trade could easily be followed by a Cato/Mobley for [fill in the blank] plus filler and draft picks.

What do you guys think?

2. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

ok for all the people that want to trade francis. Who do you want in return. name the players you would trade francis with. and tell me why you would trade him for them. i'm verry curious.

3. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

How about to Golden State for Mike Dunleavy, Troy Murphy, and Avery Johnson.

4. arno_ed

thanks for the reply
    i can understand this trade. troy is a hard nosed player. a good starting PF. dunleavy is developing into a good SF. he as good basketbal intelligence. AJ is a veteran player. but i do not think he can be a starting PG. so we still need a starting PG. and i'm not to fond of making a trade were steve is by far the best player. wich he is in this trade. mostly in trades were you trade a star (yes i believe steve is a star) for 3 role players (wich i think those 3 are) the team that gets the star has the advantage.i would reject this trade because we will not have a starting pointguard.

5. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

You start Cat or JJ at the PG. Mike D becomes your starting SF and Troy Murphy is the starter at the PF when he gets back from injury (some time in the next few days). That allows you to move Cato back to the bench and improves the backcourt defence significantly. Avery plays the backup in place of Moochie.

Last year Troy was getting 12 points and 10 boards per game, Closer to 14 and 10 near the end of the season. This kid looks like he could be a big player in the future, and even if he doesn't improve, what he gives you now is just the kind of player we need at PF. He also provides twice as manny assissts as Cato from the PF spot.

Mike D is giving you 14 and 7 right now from the small forward spot. He also gives you 2.5 assissts per game from the SF spot, which is more than we are getting from that spot now.

If you don't think that Cat or Jimmy can run the offense at the same level as Steve, that is one thing. I think that they could not possibly run the team worse.

6. SLA

SLA Member

I agree and would do this trade. But would the Warriors do it? I don't htink so...they still have Nick Van Exel and Speedy Claxton. of course they want Yao..

Mobley/Jackson/Moochie/Wilks/Johnson
    Jackson/Piatkowski
    Dunleavy/Nachbar/Griffin
    Murphy/Taylor/Ford
    Yao/Cato

7. Charvo

Charvo Member

Golden State isn't trading for anyone with a contract beyond 2005-2006. They are clearing cap space for Yao after that season.

8. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

This thread is total BS. Steve Francis is losing value?

Jalen Rose was just traded....Yes, the same "over 30, having his worst offensive season in 7 years, shooting 37% for a 4-12 Bulls team, and making more money than Steve Francis" Jalen Rose. Anybody can be traded. It all depends on just how desperate a team is to get rid of somebody.

9. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

SF is our best player, non one can argue that. I'm so amazed how people are blaming one person when it's our TEAM that is playing like crap, just look at our road trip FG %, it's gotta be in the 30's, and that's no ones fault but the entire team.

10. egn

egn Member

I guess you missed the previous four years.

11. arno_ed

you think francis played bad those 4 years?
    in that case you missed the last four years.
    francis is strugling now. but to say francis played bad the last 4 years is impossible.

12. Juugie

Juugie Member

We had a 16 game stretch without SF a couple of years ago.

Without his bone headed play, The Rockets should have really taken off! Since he is definitely the problem, we should have been much better. What was the Rockets' record?

1 - 15

One win

Fifteen losses.

Record with Steve

7-6

So Steve by himself is good enough to take a team from a .06% winning percentage to a 54% winning percentage.

In 2000-2001, the Rockets went 45-37 for a 55% winning percentage.

After an injury ravaged year, the Rockets get lucky and draft a "Franchise" Center. Surely adding a big man to this already talented team would lead to a playoff appearance.

The Rockets record in 2002-2003? 43-39 and a 52% winning percentage.

So how exactly is Steve to blame for this?

13. shawn786

shawn786 Member

Hmmm you sure about that?

14. tigernet

tigernet Contributing Member

See who is there for the PG position without SF within 2001-2002 season, it is Moochie. It will not a surpise if we lose 82 games a year if Moochie as a start PG.
    Juugie, you just proved SF is better than Moochie.

15. Deuce Rings

Deuce Rings Contributing Member

This is all interesting, but unfortunately the real question is do you think Steve Francis can lead this team past the 50-win plateau, historically the win total that separates contenders from pretenders? After all, that is where any organization with a desire to win is trying to get to. Seems to me that the Francis years have seen this team stagnate around .500 and after 5 years, many other orgainzations would have all ready pulled the plug.

16. Juugie

Juugie Member

That is actually a fair and intelligent response. I don't know if Steve is capable of leading a team past 50 wins.

I just wanted to point out that there are lots of problems with this team. Getting rid of Steve isn't going to turn Yao into Shaq like so meny people here think.

If the right deal comes along for ANY Rocket, you pull the trigger.

I do know Steve is one of the most versatile players in the league. He has a lot to work on, but he has talent, desire, and hustle. He wants to win. Things we do not give him credit for.

If the entire team hustled the way he does, we would have a better record.

17. MFW2310

MFW2310 Contributing Member

Um, the diff is Toronto wanted to dump AD, who's got a much bigger contract and even more over the hill, not to mention they are having scoring troubles. Just admit it, SF's not worth nearly as much as he did 2 years ago.

18. MFW2310

MFW2310 Contributing Member

Um yeah, I think you forgot that when we trade away a player we get one or multiple ones back around the same talent level either individually or collectively. But somehow you seem to think we just give Steve away and get nothing back, yeah that'll definitely kill the Rockets.

19. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

I really don't know how many times we're going to make excuses for the Francis. He's a project that hasn't gotten us anywhere. Especially the Mobley to Francis connection project. I believe we keep either one or the other. Francis is a good player but not worth the 90 million we're paying him. If Mc Grady is thinking about out of Orlando let's give francis for the guy. Heck I'm saying Francis and Mobley for mcgrady.

20. Severe Rockets Fan

Severe Rockets Fan Takin it one stage at a time...

Exactly. Steve lovers think there are no other players in the league besides him...didn't you know that? ;)