1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Seven Days

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Rocketman95, Mar 11, 2004.

1. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

A mere 168 hours or so until the greatest two days in sports begins!!!

I absolutely cannot wait. Cinderellas, buzzer beaters, multiple office pools, 32 games in two days. Sheer joy.

I'll probably watch the first day at The Tavern on West Gray, then decide if we need a second place for the second day. We usually do one place in the morning and one in the afternoon, but I really think that The Tavern might be our official March Madness HQ this year.

Next year, my bachelor party's gonna be in Vegas on that very weekend!!!

2. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

Just sent out an email to 40 different people at work about being in the pool this year....ah, late march to early april is the best time of the year with the NCAA tournament and the start of the baseball season.

3. Faos

Faos Contributing Member

I know! I can't wait to see where the Lady Coogs end up going!

Wait, you were talking about the womens tournery, right?

4. bnb

bnb Contributing Member

Next year!!! Did I miss an announcement??

Congrats, my boy! Great news!

5. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Nope. I've already decided to ask her. I already know when and where. I already know her answer. It's all taken care of except for the question and the purchasing of the ring.

Actually, we'd have already made it official, but one of my best friends is gonna loan me the money for the ring at 0% interest. The only problem is, he's playing basketball overseas and won't be back until early-Summer, hence the delay.

6. drapg

drapg Member

You know Gabe? :eek: ;)

7. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

How'd you guess??? :) No, my friend knows Gabe. I wish I could get him on here. He's got funny stories about various players. He absolutely hates Cuttino for example.

8. Bailey

Bailey Veteran Member

It never pays to be over-confident ;)

9. drapg

drapg Member

Wow, I'd love to hear those kind of inside stories.

Congrats, by the way! :)

10. Rocket Fan

Rocket Fan Member

So pumped for the start of the tourney..

Depending on what site my school ends up at.. I would love to go to the first round.. if I can work things out class wise and it's not too far

11. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

You meet us either Thursday or Friday and I'll tell you one! Of course, half of Sean's stories are so funny because of the way he tells them.

He's got a great Bo Outlaw one too.

12. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Sean is the one I met, right??

yeah...I can't wait, either. this is one of the things i miss most about college...being able to ditch class and watch the first round of games.

13. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Yup!

What if we made our second half of one night over at Fox & Hound off Wilcrest and Westheimer? Think you could make it out? You'd get to meet a poster you've been wanting to meet! :)

14. MadMax

when is this?? next Thursday or Friday...I can probably do that.

Major???

15. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Yup and I'm not saying. :)

Just let me know which one is better for you and we'll be out there!

16. droxford

droxford Member

OK - think this is the perfect place for me to talk about this.

I have never understood the fascination people have with college sports (particularly basketball). Here are reasons that I DON'T find it interesting at all:
    1. There are way too many teams and divisions for me to keep track of
    2. As a result of 1), there are way too many players and coaches for me to keep track of
    3. Though I went to college, I feel no loyalty to it whatsoever; I paid money to them, I received their educational services. Big deal. Why should I root for their team?
    4. People compalin about how low the skill and excitement level of the WNBA is, but college hoop is lower than the WNBA. WTF?!?!
    5. Hate the fact that, for the next 3 or 4 weeks, I will be bombarded with hours and hours of college games everywhere, recaps and highlights of the games, news, news an brackets, and all that junk... and then (maybe) they'll squeeze in 10 seconds of a score on a Rockets game (and certainly not any highlights).
      [/list=1]I could go on, but I don't want to harp too much.

so... I just don't get it. WHY DO YOU CARE?

-- droxford

17. MadMax

droxford --

except for my own rooting interests i generally don't care. i have a hard time watching college hoops on a random monday night.

but come tourney time it's freaking ON!!! you fill out a bracket to give yourself a rooting interest in each game...and these games are amazing...they go down to the wire all the time...and there are tons of upsets. good stuff.

march madness is just an event.

18. droxford

droxford Member

Yeah, but unless you follow the teams through the season, you're not going to know the players or the coaches, and you're not going to know how the team plays or matches up against other competitors.

I still don't get it.

-- droxford

19. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

That makes no sense, logically. So, what you are saying is that professional sports players, regardless of sex, are always of a greater quality and skill than those who are in college?

You think that professional women's football players (yes, they do exist) are better than players for the university of Texas or Miami or LSU, etc? Because that is essentially what you are saying with the WNBA and major men's college basketball.

You believe that, seriously??

Er, I'll take one of whatever he is smoking, please

20. Rocket Fan

Rocket Fan Member

I used to not get into college sports.. I'm into it now because I'm in college and there is that rooting interest there