1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Server Upgrade??

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Mikeylu, Dec 9, 2006.

Tags:
  1. Mikeylu

Mikeylu Contributing Member

I think it may be time for a server upgrade, Its only a regular season game, and afterwards it has caused the bbs to not load 3-5 times in a span of 15 minutes. And the normal activity when it doesnt crash is really slow..

What happens when we get out of the first round of the playoffs?? :D

Any one else experiencing same problems??

2. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

You can pay for it.

3. Mikeylu

Mikeylu Contributing Member

will the 10 dollars i paid to be a member cover it :)

4. rodrick_98

rodrick_98 Contributing Member

i had problems logging in, and threads were slow to load... this part stunned me:

Most users ever online was 2027, 11-12-2006 at 10:01 PM. :eek:
    that was after the win at miami... any coincidence yao had 34 and 14?

time to donate some more $$

5. bejezuz

bejezuz Contributing Member

You guys are expecting too much. Clutch does a heckuva job, and this site is one of the fastest, large vBulletin sites under normal load that I've ever used.

I for one can live with a slow site 30 minutes after the game. The rest of the time the site is great. You'd probably have to spend some big bucks to be able to handle the 2000 users at a time and be responsive at all. Let's just be happy things are so fast outside of the spikes.

6. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

Do you guys have any idea how much it would cost to have a server that could handle the kind of bandwidth this server needs to run smoothly during peak times?

Unless you guys are willing to pony up $12k per year (minimum) for a machine to run this site, you may just need to live with it for now.

The server was in fact recently upgraded and is MUCH better than it was.

It's not like Clutch is made of money.

7. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

250 a month...

8. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

Not nearly enough. Clutch already pays more than that and it struggles with the load.

In reality, he needs multiple servers. When literally hundreds of people are all on here searching, posting, editing, etc., it puts a massive strain on the database. He really needs three machines - one for the site, one for the database and a backup/overflow server, PLUS all the software that allows for that to work seemlessly.

9. Omer

Omer Member

SoftLayer has some nice quad processor multi-core dedicated servers available starting at $599.

http://www.softlayer.com/product.html

Not sure how much bandwidth the site uses, I'm assuming it's over 2000GB per month?

10. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

no way

max 500 GB

11. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

bandwidth is not the issue for costs on sites like this. it is cpu/ram required to handle the enormous amounts of httpd/mysql threads required to serve out all the user sessions/connections. outages during peaks are not bandwidth bottlenecks, they are httpd and mysqld daemons being unable to fire off enough threads to handle the users.

You can't expect Clutch to pay for spikes. That is too much. That is too much risk for him considering his ad $ and tipjar $s are not gauranteed.

besides, google ads do not pay for IPs coming from China since they can't read US ads.

;)

12. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

I think Clutch should end world hunger while he's at it.

13. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Clutch, on Friday the 13th 2029 an asteroid may hit the earth -- was wondering if you had started working on deflecting it yet?

~TIA,

KC​

14. texanskan

texanskan Contributing Member

Well we have atleast 6 weeks till this is an issue.

YOF's just check in every now and then these days

15. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

Read heypartner's post.