1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Seriously... why no FF7 remake?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Drexlerfan22, Oct 20, 2007.

Tags:
  1. RC Cola

RC Cola Contributing Member

I tend to agree with what Mr Boo said about FFXII. It is probably my favorite FF since FF7, due to some of the reasons he already mentioned (epic story, great voice acting, plot twists, etc). That said, I've seen plenty of mixed reactions for the game, so I can understand how others might feel differently. I would definitely give it another try though, even though you may not end up liking it as much as I did (or Mr Boo I guess).

2. Ghettostar85

Ghettostar85 Member

so any interested in starting a shenmue thread??!

3. professorjay

professorjay Contributing Member

I can't really endorse buying a PSP just for this. Like I said, the updated touches are nice and give me something new and unknown to look forward to. But it's not much, which is actually a positive in it's own way (I wouldn't want them to move the game away from what made it great). The redone cutscenes are nice, but certainly not necessary. There are 2 new jobs, one of which is supposedly useless from what I've read (Onion Knight is useless, the other job is Dark Knight). I haven't run into the new characters, I'm going to surprise myself w/ who they are, but I think it's only 1 or 2 new ones. Overall, I wouldn't get the PSP just to play the new stuff. It's really not a game changing experience from the original.

4. Chuck 4

Chuck 4 Member

How about Parasite Eve?

5. meh

meh Contributing Member

I wonder how many other games will get thrown around before it's all finished. Valkyrie Profile? Star Ocean? Grandia? Lunar series? Okay, that wraps up all the other RPGs I've played on the PS1 and still remember(SNES RPGs only inclue CT and FF4-6, which have been discussed). Eventually there won't be enough games to gush over anymore. :p

6. Chuck 4

Chuck 4 Member

I think someone did mention it briefly, but Vagrant Story is vastly overlooked. Legend of Dragoon would have been better if it had been better translated. Parasite Eve was just average after you got past the ooh's & ahh's of the CInema's.

7. Drexlerfan22

Drexlerfan22 Contributing Member

I never did try Vagrant story. People always raved about it, but it always turned me off to it when people mentioned just how much dungeon crawling was involved. I stopped playing the original Grandia for that exact reason: seemed like the story-to-dungeon ratio was a bit low.

And the same thing happened with me when I tried Parasite Eve as happened to me when I started playing FF12... I just kinda got bored of it. Played Eve for maybe 3 hours or so, and I think I played FF12 for 6 hours or so. I dunno... there was just nothing in either one that seemed to inspire me to play on. Maybe I'll pick up where I left off in FF12 at some point, though...

8. Mr Boo

Mr Boo Contributing Member

Keep in mind that Vagrant Story isn't truly a rpg. It's more of an action-oriented rpg I guess...in some sense, think this: look and movement somewhat MG Solid like, dungeon filled, custom weapon building, and timed combo'ing chains and timed counters; also there are spells of course and leveling up. I'm sure you can find a intro video of Vagrant Story on YouTube just to get a feel for its look and movement (and the introductory boss fight, which doesn't really spoil anything).

9. DarkHorse

DarkHorse Contributing Member

This is exactly how I feel. In fact, I still haven't finished the game. I'm up to the final boss fight, and my wife and I were looking at each other and saying, "is this the final boss?"

I went and looked it up online and found out it WAS the end of the game, so we just switched it off. I wanted to go do more sidequests before I finished the plot, but I was VERY disappointed that that was all there was to it.

Character development was virtually non-existant, and there really wasn't much to the plot for me to get excited about. And personally, I didn't think there was a single "twist" that wasn't telegraphed.

To each his own I guess.

10. Chuck 4

Chuck 4 Member

Thats why Ive never rushed to play through it. Too much negative feedback. All the magazines and video game sites gave it high marks, but I began to wonder if it would have rated that high had it not had the words "Final Fantasy" in the title.

Of all the Final Fantasy games, this was probaly the one I heard the least buzz about from fellow gamers...

11. KePoW

KePoW Contributing Member

well, I wasn't really thinking of the words when I said that haha

yeah it's not a full remake, since all the in-game graphics are the same. it's kind of in between a port and a remake

12. KePoW

I'm with RC and Boo on this one.... FF12 is definitely the best FF since 7

just an awesome game all-around. for me though, it wasn't the story, it was the Gambit system. I love that ****, the combat is the best and so flexible

I will agree with Apollo on one thing though, Vaan is completely useless. he's the only character I didn't like, everyone else was great...I particularly liked Balthier, Fran, and Ashe. Ashe is like a 100x improvement over Yuna from the FFXs...I couldn't stand Yuna, that's one the main reasons I never completely got into the FFXs. I just don't like hesitant and insecure girls. I like ones who are confident and borderline arrogant, lol

13. Apollo Creed

Apollo Creed Contributing Member

I mean, outside of Vaan and Penelo...the characters from FF12 are awesome. Balthier is a top 10 (maybe top 5) FF character all-time.

The problem is that the characters never really developed...and the story never took off. I just didn't feel like it was epic...at all. Nothing seemed to be at stake, even though they said it was. Even FF Tactics, which had a far more political story, eventually spiraled into something much more dramatic and threatening...FF12 never got there.

It seemed like that's where a "disc 2" would normally start for a FF game by the time the game ended.

The game would've been better served having Balthier as the main character, a few more locations, and alot more development.

But the game is definitely worth playing. The combat/hunting/gambit is all top notch and super fun to play. Exploration is fun as well. Besides, a bad FF game is still probably better than whatever else is out there anyhow.

14. KePoW

I can't argue with anything you said here

like I said previously, I just love the Gambit system and combat (and the Hunting too like you mentioned) in the game. and the characters are great, other than Vaan and Penelo (I forgot about her, she's only halfway-useless lol)

I suppose to me, story and plot are a bit lower priority than to others

15. DarkHorse

DarkHorse Contributing Member

Ah, the old Van Halen/Rush argument. ;)

Just kidding. I definitely enjoyed the game, but I definitely feel like I should be finishing Disc 1, like you said, and not the whole game.

16. Chuck 4

Chuck 4 Member

So, Im gathering that the game is short? Thats cool, I dont know if I want to play 40+ hours on a game that isnt a landmark of achievement...

17. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Suikoden FTW

18. Apollo Creed

Apollo Creed Contributing Member

Seriously!

1, 2, & 5 are on my all-time favorite RPG list.

I think Suikoden V is the best RPG on the PS2.

19. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I only played 1 (I think it was 1) and it rocked. The battle system where you can control whole armies is simply awesome.

20. AGBee

AGBee Member

Suikoden 2 was awesome - the cooking mini game rocked. I have my original copies of 1 and 2 still :)