1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Seriously... why no FF7 remake?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Drexlerfan22, Oct 20, 2007.

Tags:
  1. RC Cola

RC Cola Contributing Member

If it matters, I think the team is definitely aware of the desires of the turn-based fans:
    http://www.novacrystallis.com/2015/...antasy-vii-remake-is-completely-action-based/
    Bit more at the link (though mostly about other things).

I've actually been playing a lot of Warframe again lately, and I feel as though you can definitely have complex build management, a variety of enemy types (and strategies), crazy boss tactics, grinding/loot, etc. in more of an action package. Warframe looks like just some crazy space ninja shooting game (i.e., a hack and slash button masher), and yet I was busy looking up boss strategies and damage matrices yesterday, trying to figure out which elements/damage types work best on what enemies. Honestly, when it comes to most of those things, I think games like Warframe (or Dark Souls as another, more popular example) do it much better than FF7 ever did. Taking out the legs of a boss so that you can defeat the main core is more difficult (and generally more rewarding) in something like Warframe compared to FF7.

Having said all that, I'm not sure if anyone has really developed a good party-based system in a real-time combat system (Warframe, Dark Souls, etc., are either solo or coop...or bad non-configurable AI). With turn based, I think it's still easier to implement "party" strategies (one character dedicated to healing/buffing, two characters dealing damage, etc.). I would love to see if Square-Enix (or the external studio they contracted this game out to) can develop a system that handles this well. I guess they could base it on something like the gambit system in FF12. You can switch characters at any time, but while they're not in control, they'll run some sort of complex AI routine that you configured previously (and you can pause to rework that AI at any time). That way, you can still have those defined roles in a real-time system.

Of course, none of this sounds easy. If done correctly, I think this could be an amazing combat system. But it's also 1000x more likely that they screw it up, and a 100% turn based or even 100% button masher (ala Kingdom Hearts I guess) would have been better. And of course, none of this addresses any concerns about drastic changes to the original game.

2. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

What in the Telltale BS is this. SQUARE ENIX YOU F-CKED IT UP!!!!

3. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

I have never had any faith in Square to get this right. They continue to want to make action games, not RPGs.

I am guessing this game will follow most of the same plot points, but will eliminate to combat system and mountain of side quests. Instead we will get an entirely new battle system, an we will have our hands held from start to finish with no deviations.

4. Outlier

Outlier Member

Well... that sucks. It is a massive game though, so i can understand. It might take them 10 years if they had to do the whole thing at once.

5. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Complete Telltale would be horrible, being able to do whatever you want and go where ever you want is what makes RPGs great. Please don't do this. :(
    That announcement would definitely make it seem more like an "enter dungeon, beat all enemies, reach point x" crap game.

6. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Think I should go ahead and play the Steam version now, waiting for this possible telltale-crap is messed up.

7. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

8. RC Cola

RC Cola Contributing Member

The episodic release schedule is concerning. They could still end up doing it right, but it's much more likely they do it wrong. Perhaps they could break it up similar to the discs from the original game (Disc 1 = Episode 1, Disc 2 = Episode 2, etc.). This could result in us playing the game sooner and with less content cut. From their perspective, I suppose it also helps them figure out how much effort/money to put into each episode. No point in treating this like a $100M+ project if less than 500K people buy the first episode. They'll probably screw it up, but I guess we'll just wait and see. Oh yeah, I forgot this probably means $60 per episode....yay. :\

Here are some other details from some interviews they gave recently:
    http://www.siliconera.com/2015/12/0...action-midgar-exploration-and-cross-dressing/
    Lots of quotes on the battle system, character designs, external studios working on the game, etc.

#188 RC Cola, Dec 7, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2015
  9. Drexlerfan22

Drexlerfan22 Contributing Member

Uggghhhh. Trying to stay hopeful. But confirmed action combat and multiple installments isn't sounding good so far. :(

For the love of god, at least let there be the same freedom to wander around on a world map as the original had, with all sidequests intact. Don't turn this into on-rails-FF13, wearing an FF7 skin. :mad:

10. Outlier

Outlier Member

I think it will be like FF15. Which looks great except the "camping" system.

11. Junkyard_Dog

Junkyard_Dog Member

So i wish Square would confirm exactly what they mean by parts.

They had a press release today that each part would have the size of a full game.

Does this mean we get the full FF7 experience and then they will do like they've doen with previous installments like FFXIII, XIII-2, and Lightning Returns.

Or will we have the main story chopped up like the original discs were? The big death, Raid on Shinra, and of course the final encounter with Sephiroth.

I wish they would let us know. It sucks cuz I'm buying it regardless. FF7 has always been a special game to me.

12. trigun333

trigun333 Member

I understand the reason going to a more action RPG style, but I still want it to be turned based sooooo badly. I think square enix think it wouldn't sell too well or get high scores on reviews if they went with a turned based style. I just wish they could have both styles and you can choose to your preference. Also, does this mean no more long summon scenes :(.

13. Outlier

Outlier Member

My favorite about ff7 has always been the soundtrack. So epic.