1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Seriously, when can we end this JG experiment?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by zjcblord21, Feb 22, 2024.

1. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

The point that I'm trying to make is that I'm tired of me making or of me hearing excuse for for "X" player! IMHO, playing strong defense AND hitting open shots should not be tied to ANY specific offense/system/coach. Your stats, AND your play elevating your team is what counts! Jalen, up to now hasn't lived up to being a #2 pick, and statistically, playing with every player on our roster, he's the anchor holding us back!! I'm through making excuse for him...

I respect your opinion.... but I'm through making excuse for him!!!

Go Rockets!!!

cml750 likes this.
  2. BamBam

I'm not defending Ime's offense!! He needs to man up as well!!

Go Rockets!!!

3. cml750

cml750 Member

He is not even worth the league minimum at this point. They would be crazy to extend him at any amount.

4. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Im not sure I agree. Its the job of the coach to extract the most from his players. Everyone knows we suck at outside shooting as a team and yet no inside the arc concepts are easily distinguished on this team. I've been deep diving into Udoka/Splitters SA teams and its literally night and day. A good portion of that is due to the fact that SA was a great 3pt shooting team, but they would use so much motion and screens to free up easy baskets for everyone. Im not sure I see any excuse making going on for Jalen as much as insulating the coach who was supposed to instruct these guys on how to play basketball the "right" way. Nice to see some effort on defense from this unit and I do give credit to Udoka for that, but he isnt doing these guys any favors at all on offense. Its literally sink or swim on that side when you're mired with a team where only a few guys can create their own shot let alone for others.

Carpe82 likes this.
  5. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Did you tell him to play like Michael Jordan? If so, why hasn't it worked? Other sources tell me their private coaching sessions are much more effective.

MadMax, NewAge and cml750 like this.
  6. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Like others have said, the extension decision is coming. I got incendiary emotional replies for suggesting a trade for any assets at the deadline. This is an instagram diva who (apparently) won't come off the bench. Guarantee he will balk at a contact below $25M/year.

As we get closer to Jalen's new contract perhaps you "always keep young players" stans will learn the value of foresight over hindsight when analyzing a salary cap team build. Making hard decisions is part of the business of building a contender. It's not clear Stone has made any yet.

Downtown Sniper and NewAge like this.
  7. BamBam

Good to see that we both agree that players should make OPEN shots!! ;)
    I just happen to think that players should make OPEN shots regardless of any particular offense/system/coach.

Like I already said in a previous post, Ime needs to man up as well and is not exempt from growth/improvement !!

Go Rockets!!!

Verbal Christ likes this.
  8. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

9. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

So knowing that the whole team sucks at outside shooting what would be the sensible conclusion to this season and beyond? This team is playing Silas ball all of a sudden and it becomes a player problem - thats weird to me. We all knew this team has been a terrible shooting team for years now. Nothing has changed, but even more suspect is that the coaches dont seem to care enough to install an alternative contingency plan to the known problem. Its bordering on negligence.

Carpe82, Strawberry Gum and BamBam like this.
  10. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I’m here to help!

Haymitch and cml750 like this.
  11. YOLO

YOLO Member

12. clos4life

clos4life Member

That's truly awful. That's 36 out of 53, 68% of the time he is awful. At least Dillon does other stuff.

13. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I kinda go back and fourth on this one. Because on one hand you are right, we are a bad three point shooting team. But on the other hand, what leads you to believe the players can hit easy shots inside the arc? Like are we sure it would even be better if we ran spurs-like concepts? Jalen shoots 30% or whatever on his 3s, what if he was coming off multiple screens with a motion offense getting wide open 16 footers...are we sure he can shoot over 45% on these? What about Dillon Brooks? Would this even be good offense? Would we even be able to get good shots if we played this way, or would we just turn the ball over because it requires 10 passes per offensive possession? Are our players even smart enough to play this way? All it takes is one guy to hesitate or miss the next pass, and the entire possession is blown up, and the defense recovers.

I am underwhelmed by the offense just like you are. And I think this team puts way too much blame on the defense, Ime especially, he seems to think it's fine that we auto lose any game where the other team scores points. We're losing 41-52 at halftime? Bad defense, need more defensive effort. It's 2024, in todays NBA you have to be able to score. You can't win games scoring 105 points. I just don't know if there is a better way to run the offense with our current roster.

14. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

* Such as commit technical fouls.

clos4life and daywalker02 like this.
  15. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Good point, I think one needs at least 2 seasons to see if a system works or not.

Data of 2 seasons.

From an Offense standpoint, this season has not been a fruitful season. We ought to do much better.

16. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

its from last year lol

17. clos4life

clos4life Member

Yeah, I mean, if we were frequently losing by 2 or less points I would care more, but 13 technical fouls or so in 53 games is not something I care about as much.

BamBam likes this.
  18. clos4life

clos4life Member

That's better, at least he only truly sucks 44% of the time, the rest of the time he just mostly sucks.

BamBam likes this.
  19. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

I wouldn’t loan Jalen my car keys, let alone give him a contract of any sort for actual money. I was okay with him playing out the rest of the year (in a bench role) as long as he wasnt gonna tank his value further. But it appears we aren’t that lucky. One failed year with Ime is all I need to see. We have so many better prospects worth minutes and development focus. Mentality is so underrated. People fall in love with athleticism, but good habits, and a winning mentality are more important. Jalen just doesn’t have that. But I wish him luck in his fashion and modeling career.

20. cml750

cml750 Member

In other words Jalen is one of the worst players in the league yet this team keeps trying to see if he will magically get better by forcing him in the starting lineup night after night while better players are on the bench. This has to be Ferittta's or Stone's decision. I doubt it is him but If it is solely Ime then I am wondering if we made a mistake hiring him?