1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Seriously, Blaine Gabbert?

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by Berkmaniac, Dec 15, 2011.

1. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Based on what I've seen (which, admittedly, isn't much) this kid doesn't have the poise or composure necessary to start on a rebuilding team like the Jags. At least not yet.

But by all accounts, he appears to have the size, arm and football IQ to succeed in this league. Maybe things would be different if he were in Locker or Tebow's position instead.

Regardless, he needs to look at fellow rookie Andy Dalton if he wants to figure out how to have the stones to play in this league. Dalton has a promising future based off of almost intangibles alone.

2. ubigred

ubigred Contributing Member

A great rb
    A great defense
    Good tight end (horrendous qb play has hurt his value)
    Good o-line

3. Asian Sensation

The biggest thing that's disturbing is that he hasn't shown any improvement over the course of the season. Not very shocking if it doesn't work out for him. It wouldn't be the first time a highly touted 1st round QB were to be a complete bust.

4. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

5. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Locker also made an amazing run to help get us back in that game. Yates had a wide open receiver, Locker did not have anyone remotely open. Locker is also without his WR1, just like Yates.

Locker also hasn't practiced with the 1st unit. He's been pushed into the lineup in the middle of games due to Hasselbeck's injuries.

And the Falcons/Bengals/Jaguars all have middle of the road pass defenses. Jake Locker hasn't played the Rams or Vikings. He's only played multiple passes against the Falcons and Saints.

6. ChievousFTFace

ChievousFTFace Contributing Member

The first game Yates was also pushed into the starting role from a Leinart injury. He also made a 15+ yard run to keep the final drive alive.

I made the mistake of looking at Locker's preseason stats in his Game Log... just like Yates, the sample size is too small to really make any true judgments on their longterm output. Yes, Locker kept them in the game vs NO (who are very beatable on the road), but he also lost the game by eating that sack. You gotta throw that ball up.

See ya'll week 17 where you eliminate your chances of a wildcard bid ;) Silly TITans fans.

7. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

locker has been better than I thought. His accuracy is still very iffy though, but that's always been his problem. Some of his games in college were just terrible

Gabbert does have the tools, but like someone else mentioned, he just looks uncomfortable in the pocket.

Yates...the fact that someone has to defend Locker when someone claims that Yates has played as well as Locker should tell you something

8. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Definitely agree. Gabbert can't handle pressure whether real or imagined. He has very good mechanics when he feels safe....NFL defensive coordinators will blitz any time they need a play.

9. Svpernaut

Svpernaut Contributing Member

Jones-Drew is a fantastic runner nut that is the extent of their offensive stars. Jacksonville has arguably the worst receiving corp in the NFL. I watched the game last night on NFL Rewind and Gabbert's receivers dropped no fewer than 8 balls, one of which led to an interception. A couple of the early drops could have easily changed the outcome of the game, or at least not made it a complete route. I know Atlanta has a great defense as well, but his offensive line didn't help him at all either.

I'm not making excuses for the guy, and I don't like the guy or the team... but I think many NFL coaches and front office guys would look at his 2011 season as a product of the talent around him, not necessarily him.

10. TheTruth

TheTruth Contributing Member

Gabbert's best highlight of this year:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/vjDeRBwO_7U" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

11. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

Mike Lombardi's take on Gabbert as a failure

I agree with Lombardi. Who the hell would want to come and coach Gabbert or McGown for the next 5 years?

#31 tallanvor, Dec 16, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2011
  12. codell

codell Contributing Member

David Carr part deux

13. what

what Member

As a titan fan, I can unequivocally say that I have no ill feelings at all that yall have tj yates and we got stuck with locker. I suppose I'm willing to fall on that sword.

14. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

I was higher on Chase Daniel than I was on Gabbert(in terms of Mizzou QB's) I never understood all the Gabbert fawning last year.

15. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Never thought he was anything special at Missouri. Chase Daniel was a better QB there, but he also had better weapons (Maclin, Alexander, Coffman).

Seems to me like another case of a supposed "Most NFL ready" QB theory going kaput.

Just look what happened to Jimmy Clausen. How anybody watched Notre Dame games and thought he'd amount to anything in the NFL is beyond me.

16. SacTown

SacTown Member

Does anyone remember Aaron Rodgers in his first year? Do you guys remember that game where they put him in against the Ravens defense and he looked absolutely god awful and gave the Ravens D a few TDs? (wish i could find a video of it) My point is that you can't judge a rookie QB based on their first year.

17. J.R.

J.R. Member

'The Cat' hasn't weighed in yet?!? :p

18. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

I'm not a big Gabbert fan, which may shock many of you. :)

As a Mizzou guy, I'd like to see him do well. But I don't see it happening. He had two major flaws that didn't really improve much at Missouri. The first is that his deep-ball accuracy is wildly inconsistent. It was incredibly frustrating - Blaine has a very strong arm and can be extremely accurate on the 20-30 yard post patterns and slants, which is what's tested most at places like the combine. But in game action, he never grasped the ability to throw long and with touch. If a receiver had a step 40 or more yards downfield, you could count on Gabbert to rifle it over his head by 10+ yards.

The other issue, of course, is the happy feet. He had a tendency at Mizzou to run out of the pocket and start circling (almost like playing Madden) before there was any pressure at all, and that's only gotten worse on a bad NFL team. He simply does not stand in and take hits.

Gabbert is the prime example of a guy who needed to sit two or more years to have ANY chance of success. The "happy feet" issues are mostly mental, and his delivery may need changing to help his deep ball accuracy. Instead, looking to make a splash, the Jags tossed him in as a rookie with a bad team around him - and the problems are becoming even worse.

I want Blaine to do well. But I think Chase Daniel will be a better NFL QB, and I think James Franklin is a better college QB at Mizzou.

19. BleedRocketsRed

BleedRocketsRed Contributing Member

For 5 years, I used to think that about Alex Smith.

Tho Smith did have some moments and never really had stability in SF (plus most of those teams were insanely terrible). But overall, he never really looked like a starting-caliber QB (until now when he has a team which has the tools to win).

20. ubigred

ubigred Contributing Member

No. I remember the game vs Cowbitches when Rodgers came in for Farve and threw darts for 1st downs until Farve came back in the game.