1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Serious] Why have Paul, Gordon , and Clint looked awful ?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by snowconeman22, Oct 31, 2018.

1. forchette49

forchette49 Contributing Member

Any chance this team is just snakebitten, hungover still after losing to the Warriors last season? And if so, does Jimmy Butler just FIX that!? No... MDA and his lost swagger comments have me thinking that we may have to have a firesale if things don't turn around in a month or so... Unreal.

2. juanm34

juanm34 Member

Clearly it’s the loss of Bezildik and Ariza that has hurt our defense.
    They lost their defensive General and Colonel..
    I have no answer for their offensive woes.. I want to believe that the absence of Harden is the issue but CP3 should be able to play as the facilitator and scorer....but hasn’t.
    I’m not buying this WCF loss hangover bs!

joeson332, tycoonchip, RyanB and 4 others like this.
  3. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

the fire sale should be now we're 1 and 5 lol mcw melo ennis etc basically need to go.

4. impressivegol

impressivegol Member

i don't post much or share intel/info gathered from someone i know whose very very close to one of our all stars. But I did hear the following during LA weekend when I was also in town to check out the Rockets.

The team definitely had some discontent going into the season. Specific reason, not sure but the implication was much of it had to do with CP's contract, Capella's saga, and the Butler trade rumors. The photo of the team in the Bahamas made things look rosy, but they were there just there a couple of days and it wasn't all rosy or that much of a team bonding expedition. I only learned of this bc at the time, post-game Lakers, I was told that players on the team were viewing spit-gate as a positive, like uniting the team together. Well, ever since then it'd be fair to say the team has bigger issues.

Idk how, if at all, the above has to do with the players struggling so bad to start the season, but disharmony can definitely wreck a team from within. Hoping that's not the case here. and feel free to bash/mock above, just sharing what i heard from what is an excellent source. I've been told many things that would light the forum up, but admittedly, even I don't bat much of an eye to anyone saying they have certain intel or heard anything special. cyberx is all we need for intel; and anyway I don't get much FO info, more about players/off court stuff

anyway, here's to hoping this first couple weeks is just a perfect storm of bad shooting and injuries.

RyanB, BigShasta, whiskeyred and 2 others like this.
  5. riko

riko Member

Ariza was harden and Paul’s guy so I can see them being upset but that’s a major reach to blame disharmony. It’s that Paul is out of form ad Gordon is I a career worst funkdue to continually being in the rumour mill

6. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

I think Capela needs to go full Rodman with hair dye. Gordon just needs to scream louder when he goes for a layup. Paul has just not impacted games. He seems more like...complainy Clippers Chris paul. Maybe we should trade him back to la for Bev and Harrell. OOOOHHHH we offer the banana boat to the Lakers! Paul AND Melo for Kuzma and lonzo

snowconeman22 and napalm06 like this.
  7. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Honestly. . .they just need to hit their shots
    It's simple . .. now . .. .

[​IMG]

Rocket River

8. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

I agree with this post and would boil down the simplest theory (especially given CP/Harden absences in the games so far) to: Most of the guys on our team are trying to find and fit new roles.

Who's the guy with the least affected role? PJ Tucker. Not a coincidence that he's playing well.

Deuce, Joe Joe and napalm06 like this.
  9. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

For those of you that have a Cleaning The Glass subscription.

10. joeson332

joeson332 Member

We were the #3 seed that year no

11. joeson332

joeson332 Member

Different sport but when the Astros could not get in base for a stretch there last year everyone looked AWFUL and it was virtually the same team from the WS team.
    I bring that up because teams just hit these random unexplainable slumps but once it starts clicking the offense seems to move more freely and things get back to normal.
    Now as to your point WHY, it may be shot selection, it may be not enough passes distributed, may be wrong guys shooting at wrong positions who knows but eventually the shots fall and the offense gets to where it was.

12. impressivegol

impressivegol Member

lol, the Western Conference landscape is drastically different from the 2014-2015 season.

Jazz, Lakers, Minny, Nuggets, OKC were all lottery teams that season. There won't be no 'bad funk' that lasts the entire season and still results in a playoff spot.

13. SageHare6

SageHare6 Member

I totally agree.

Considering how the league has adapted, how can anyone even think we are even a playoff and over 500 team?

This is the hope and unrealistic bias that I think is so very misguided.

Morey made his moves. And this team is severely worse off for it. Why not recognize that now. Own it. And try reset expectations. All the while, avoiding the money pit that is throwing good money after bad and irresponsibly mortgaging the future!

Until people including Morey acknowledge:

1. We are nowhere near being a contender
    2. Last year was last year
    3. We are NOT one player away from contention
    4. Our additions this off season are not working and net negatives
    5. Our future can still be bright even if this year is a wash.
    6. Panic deal making is NOT an option.

14. SageHare6

SageHare6 Member

New roles yes.

But this sadly goes back the failings at the job of the GM.

If you believe we were one hamstring away from defeating GS, why mess with the blueprint for roles and gameplan? That makes no sense to me!

The system worked last year! A system of players with defined roles! This year? The problem is systemic!

Unless you are that confident u can find an Ariza analog. Logic says u keep Ariza and keep the system the same!!!

What’s the ol’ saying?

If it ain’t broke, why fix it?

AngrySage

15. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

16. bmelo

bmelo Member

EG knows hes being dealt = Harden and CP said its ok to move him. So he plays for himself

17. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

Playing for himself means that he misses 75% of his shots? How does that help him?

Rocket River, DonKnock and HP3 like this.
  18. cerophilik

cerophilik Member

Chris is prob off because there’s tension in the team. I think he sees the new players really don’t fit or that they aren’t on the same page (MWC).
    Capela is just not performing at all is like he has regressed after he got his money. He should shave his hair or just take that yellow stripe off. His rebounding and offense is horrible. He can’t finish easy put backs and his defense is worse too.
    Gordon I think he is Ryan 2.0 this season since there are rumors about jimmy butler. It’s on his head now just like Ryan. After rumors started spreading about Ryan getting traded he started to doubt himself.

19. bmelo

bmelo Member

But he thinks they will go in. He forces them because he thinks he is better than he is. So he misses. Trade rumours can go either that way or Ryan hiding himself Andersons way.

Basically trade leaks are not doing any favor for chemistry and it just sums up wolves as a organization and how unprofessional they are

20. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

Ever since he's been here, Gordon has been streaky. He's had plenty of periods where he can't miss and others where he couldn't throw it in the ocean.

I don't see Gordon forcing anything, he's just missing shots.

This year he's playing about 2 more minutes per game than last year and he's attempting 1 less 3 pointer per game.

This year he's attempting 7.8 3 point shots per game. He's getting 3.5 Wide Open 3s per game (No defender within 6 feet) and he's shooting an unbelievable 14.3% on those shots. Additionally, he's shooting 3.2 Open 3s per game (No defender within 4 - 6 feet) and he's shooting 31.6% on those. He gets 1 tightly guarded per game (defender within 2-4 feet) and is shooting 33%. He's only shot a single 3 this year where he's very tightly guarded (defender within 2 feet).

He's getting open looks, those are shots that he's suppose to take but he's just missing them.

He ended up shooting 23.4% on 3s in the 6 games in October. Last year he shot 30.2% in October and 27.3% in April. He's just really streaky.

Deuce and HP3 like this.