1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Serious question on Yao Ming.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by MysticRyder, Jun 21, 2002.

1. MysticRyder

MysticRyder Member

This may have been brought up before but imo i consider it very important. Would Yao Ming be available for summer leagues and more important for training camp? The way i read it He is going to play in the Asian Games and that means practicing with the National Team and missing most of training camp. He is also in some kind of Tournament with 4 teams which China considers important. (ESPN)

I want Yao Ming to play for the Rockets but i also consider it important he receives training here.

Any other opinions out there?
    By the way i have not heard any agreements from the Chinese that he will be able to report to training camps.

:D :) :D

#1 MysticRyder, Jun 21, 2002
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2002
  2. micah1j

micah1j Member

He would not be available this summer. But I believe he would be the next summer. Obviously 2004 and 2008 have Olympics and he could train here after the Olympics. They only want him for the tournaments. I believe he would have free reign when it is not those times. So 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007 summers would be free. He could also learn from Wang and just not leave US until he wants.

#2 micah1j, Jun 21, 2002
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2002
  3. edc

edc Contributing Member

As posted in the other thread, the earliest Ming will be joining an NBA team is mid-October. That would be after the first week of camp (aka "Galveston" or "San Antonio" :), but early on in the preseason.

4. cwww

cwww Member

There are Asian Basketball Championships (for the qualifying of World Championships and Olympics) in 2003, 2005, 2007, 2009,...too. Hope that the schedule next year won't crash with the Summer league and training camp...