1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Serious Discussion - what could we trade Tmac for...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rileydog, May 1, 2009.

1. blender

blender Member

Sorry, leebigez, didn't realize it was about GSW. Well, I don't know enough about GSW to say how well McGrady would fit in with them. But as for McGrady playing point guard, I'm not sure he would be able to play at the frenetic pace Nelson prefers. He's better in a half-court offense, I believe.

2. gamor

gamor Member

I will pray for Brooks to become a player with playmaking shooting guard like Tmac. But be realistic, Brooks is far away from the potentials Tmac has:

1, Brooks lacks of court vision to play as pg, which is lethal
    2, Brooks is not a smart pg player like Nash,kidd type who can creates a lot plays for others. He is a shooting first guard, like other fans mentioned , a shooting guard trapped in a small point guard's body.
    3,if you move Brooks to sg position, his length becomes a big disadventage.

3. CoolGui

CoolGui Member

Why are we comparing Brooks and McGrady? Unless McGrady is going to come back as a point guard, I see no point....

4. blender

blender Member

You misunderstand me. I meant Brooks as a point guard playing alongside McGrady as a shooting guard.

5. gamor

gamor Member

lol, it is beneficial, but not realistic.
    now bull fans rank john salmon before deng because this bull/celtics series.

And why do we pick up Tim thomas? I rather take Gordon and Hinrich by throwing in other small pieces.

6. gamor

gamor Member

my bad.

But the chance of McGrady come back to play for us is really very low at this point, due to his body condition and his relationship with this team.

7. subtomic

subtomic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think you're missing the bigger picture - Von gets those drives precisely because he can shoot the 3 well. Otherwise, what you'll see is the defender back off and dare them to shoot the outside shot. Such a defensive scheme will serve a double-purpose - besides denying the drive, it will also allow the defenders to stay closer to Yao, thus preventing the entry pass or allowing for quicker double teams if Yao does get the ball. This is part of the reason why I never really liked the 2 man game with Yao and Tracy - Tracy didn't have the ability to consistently hit a quick outside shot after going around a Yao pick and that limited the options.

BTW, I have seen Wafer take a quick and mostly uncontested shot after going around (or behind) a Yao pick at the 3 point line and it's been fairly successful. In fact, I find myself wondering why the team doesn't run such a play more often. That's why I'd like to see Yao paired with a great shooter - I think this (wen accompanied with some strong baseline cuts by other players) could be a 2nd bread-and-butter play (to go along with a Yao postup).

But I do agree that you don't just want standstill players - otherwise, I'd be advocating surrounding Yao with Kyle Korver and Jason Kapono types. And that's definitely NOT what I want. But if it comes down to a choice, I think you take a great outside shot over a great first step. So you definitely don't want to blow all your cap space on a slasher like Deng or Jefferson.

8. chewy016

chewy016 Member

This would totally be the best case scenario. wasn't dumars curious about a trade for tmac last off season. it would be great if we could land that trade though we wouldn't have anything going in 2010 but the trade for those two proven studs would definitely make us a major contender

9. himself

himself Member

It is A LOT more realistic then you may think. I suggested Salmons due to his 3 point shooting, ok defense for a bench player. Tim thomas ,because he has no place in Chicago once Deng comes back, and he can space the floor with solid 3 point shooting.
    The main target is Gordon, I wouldn't care who else is added.Gordon has had contract issues with the bulls managment, I am sure you have heard about it if you been following the NBA.

This has NOTHING to do with the current Chicago series, but with mac's value/contract.

10. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

I would think Kirk Hinrich is available. Chicago tried to trade him but didn't reach the deal they liked. Sure, Kirk has played well recently, but he's redundant for them. You don't pay $9 mil per year for someone to back up your point guard of the future.

I'm not saying he's The Missing Piece to the Rockets' Puzzle, although he is a real point guard who plays decent defense.

11. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Wafer gets those shots because he has a quick first step, not because he can shoot the 3. If that was the case, shane battier would be a better offensive player than von and he's not. Having that step and the ability to get to the rim gives von space. That allows makes defenders leave yao faster to close out not under control and the mid range shot gives him another opening. Deng is a really,really good mid range shooter. He's long, elevtates and he's also a pretty good defender. When the rockets try to run their motion, it doesn't work as well as it should because battier and artest don't tightly curl or rub off the screen which gives the defender the space to recover and close out. Deng and jefferson both do that and if the guy is trailing too far, they can keep going to the rack or pull the mid range jumper. That kind of action and ability is always a assett in adelman offense.

Sometimes, maybe not you, people get enamored or in love with the 3. Just because you have a big guy like yao, doesn't mean the main shots should be 3's. What wafer has shown management and fans is that when yao gets doubled and the ball is kicked out, the balance of the defender is off because their out of control. By having the ability to put the ball on the floor, a guy can get to the rim or at the minimum get to 15-17 ft for a really clean look. What the playoffs also show is that when a team committs to denying yao, the huge creases are there for easy baskets like in game 1 and game 6. The rockets need the proper talent to take advantage of these scenerio's. The failures of this team offensively vs a team like Utah should really be the blueprint of what not to have in personel.

12. gamor

gamor Member

in your case, you still think of John Salmons as a role player, but he is not role player anymore. His value went up a lot this season, and Bulls sees him as a starter material, even fans of other teams now know he has a bright future as Deng.

13. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

I don't see why folks don't want to discuss future moves now. Why not? Can a person not take a break from the multiple playoff threads and post about other stuff?

I think T-Mac is done here IMO. Props to whoever noted that we still won't have cap room if we let T-Mac's contract expire. I didn't know that. If that's really the case, then it doesn't make much sense not to trade him IMO.

That Davis/Camby combo looks like the best one so far. Billups has shown us that a great PG can turn your team into a title contender. So can a great pivot, which we already have. Davis is having a down/injured year, but he still played in 65 games. He has always been healthy in the postseason IIRC. He is the perfect PG for an Adelman system because he can score and pass. When Yao is out of the game we can still run with him, Wafer, Landry and Camby. We would finally have a reliable closer (he has stepped up in his postseason runs more than anyone else on our roster). Similar to Artest, he doesn't back down from a challenge (it's amazing how many great players don't have this trait...the Karla Malone factor). Lastly, Camby is the perfect compliment to Yao and would finally give us a reliable backup C...and his contract is off the books the following season.

We should be able to make a solid run with that team as long as we resign Artest and Wafer.

1 person likes this.
  14. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Salmons has been a good player for awhile. A lot of fans on this board only watch the rockets and don't know about the other guys. I've been here arguing players for so long its crazy. From andre miller to jason terry, bibby, salmons and a host of guys. Some people are just blind to the rockets, but watching the other players on league past since 95 or so really helps u appreciate other players. I brought up deng because he's been nickedt he last couple of years and with the bulls wanting to get into the fools gold sweepstakes, they might want to rid themselves of deng. Probably deng and hinrich, but I wouldn't do anything with hinrich unless u can get a 3rd team involved to take him and his contract. He's a decent player with a contract that gets smaller, but the rox are going to roll with brooks and lowry..

15. Rileydog

Rileydog Contributing Member

So late to the discussion in my own thread! LeeB, Ijust repped you. You've outposted everyone by a wide margin. Cabbage and Dada, consistent as ever. Thanks to the rest also, except the moaners.

The portland series has dramatically changed my view of what the Rockets should be. The notion of surrounding a dominant post player with three point shooters and spacing the floor seems beyond antiquated now.

I think it was LeeB or Cabbage that noted that Von, Lowry and Brooks have been able to exploit creases because of their speed and athleticism. I agree, and we need to pick up an all star caliber player with those attributes, that is also intellingent enough to feed the post.

That enables us to feast off of Yao when the defense plays behind him. If it chooses to front, then it's death by penetration and slashing.

The names that caught my eye are:

Monta Ellis
    Stephen Jackson
    Richard Jefferson
    Luol Deng

Any of those players would be a good centerpiece of a Tmac swap. If we are able to keep our team together and add one of those players, we are immediate, legitimate contenders.

Taking them in reverse order, I think Deng is least likely available. Chicago has demonstrated that they have paralysis by analysis. Further complicating that is they are making hay against a weakened Boston team, which likely deceives them into thinking that they are ready to take the next step. Do they want out from under Deng's (and Heinrich's contract that bad) that they take a step backwards by having a near useless Tmac in 2009/2010? I think not, but a Tmac/Brooks for Deng/Heinrich swap would be my first choice.

Next, GSW. I think that is a fairly plausible trade partner because of finances, and Don Nelson is a mad scientist. They dont' need to win and are quite likely enamored with some of their young talent. I have no desire to take on Maguette, but Ellis, Jackson and Turief are all quality players.

Someone mentioned Tmac for Jefferson and Gadzurich. I don't know Milwaukee's financial situation, but that would fill 2 of our key needs

16. gamor

gamor Member

Honestly speaking, Davis is the best pg we can get now since the window of Billups is closed. But if I have to choose between Davis and Rip, I will choose Rip. Rip's run/catch/shoot style just fit too good to this team. Also Davis's big contract and his history of getting injured are just too risky for us. Rip is much safer bet since he is younger and healther. ( if somehow Morey can get us a decent pg like Hinrich/Bibby/Miller, then we are all good for competing of a title)

17. uci

uci Member

Wafer is only good for the bench, a line up with artest, wafer, brooks at the same time is disaster

18. himself

himself Member

Not only he is a role player but he will always remain a role player, no matter what happens in chicago/boston series. He is/has been a good player to come off the bench though.
    There is NO way I would start him over ron or shane though, no matter what other fans say.

19. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

Sorry, Not a Good enough trade. :p

20. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

Do not like this trade :p