1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Serious Discussion: Rockets better now or last year?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by franchise?..NOT, Feb 3, 2005.

1. franchise?..NOT

Better now or last year?. Serious Discussion.

With the sason half over and the team personality becoming clear, now may be a good time to have a mid year assessment of the changes for the Rox from last year na deven from B4 Christmas.

I, for one, definitely like the way this team plays. It is fun and fast paced. Watching McGrady do battle with the other league greats is, to me, one heck of a lot more fun than watching SF do the same last year.

I like the subtraction/addition of Jackson, Nachbar / Wesley,Sura,Barry. The team is a lot smarter, deeper and the culture is a lot better for bringing in new guys over the next year or two who will hopefully learn to play the same way.

Down side is going to be paying Barry next year and figuring out what to do with Ward when he returns. ( My guess is they did not sign Strickland for the rest of the season to sit on the bench, so Ward is either odd man out or not able to return this year.)

This team is looking better and better and they still have a lot of room to grow, this year and in the future.

SF is going to do great things in Orlando but his five years here was a failure. This looks to be a classic example of players and teams benefitting from a change of scenery for two talented but underacheiving players.

2. jkg123

jkg123 Member

Better now.

3. Willis25

Willis25 Contributing Member

well... we have the same record as this time last year, and last season I felt that the team could buckle down and get some stops in the 4th.. but I have more confidence in this squad offensively going out there putting the game away early and hitting the big shots

so I like this team better

... plus they are just more fun to watch

4. PhiSlammaJamma

Championship possibilities. Pheonix and Miami are the only teams that clearly have more talent.

5. shawn786

shawn786 Member

Id rather watch a high flying, 3 point shooting, scoring machine team like we have now rather than a defensive minded grind it out team we had last year. Truth they both have the same results BUT entertainment is a BIG factor! Plus i think this team has alot more upside for the future than last years team

6. Cohen

Cohen Contributing Member

Easy one. Now.

Both defenses good, but this year's offense is smater, shoots better, more flow, more assists, less reliance on iso's ... I could go on and on.

7. moligity

moligity Contributing Member

Got to say better now

I think this team is still improving . . . I don't think we've seen this team at it's very best just yet.

Let's see how this team is doing during the last month of the season.

Future looks bright, I've gotta wear shades.

8. Willis25

Willis25 Contributing Member

...less turnovers...

9. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

This team has a lot more upside with T-Mac and Yao. But if you're just asking us to compare this year's squad at this point in the season vs. last year's team without factoring in potential beyond the 2004-2005 season, I'd still take this year's Rockets. As the Spurs game in December showed, this team is never out of a game with a player like T-Mac. That'll mean a lot come playoff time.

10. moligity

moligity Contributing Member

and that's huge . . . can't under estimate the value of smarter basketball

11. JumpMan

JumpMan Contributing Member
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

This year due to more talent.

12. adai

adai Member

My concern is the age of all those role players in Rockets. All of them are over 30s. Who knows how they will be after one year. Look how bad timberwolves are right now. They won most games in NBA just one year ago.
    But this year, Cassell and Sprewell are just not the same.

13. codell

codell Contributing Member

Record wise, of course not.

However, if you take our record since Sura has been back in the starting lineup, and since the trades, we are playing .645 ball.

Team is much better offensively, and a lil worse defensively.

This team finds ways to win more than they find ways to lose (like in seasons past).

14. New Jack

New Jack Member

It's close.

This year's team is more fun to watch and has played better than last season, however I'm not sure if it's because of the change of players or if it's because of the change of attitude from Van Gundy.

It's clear that Van Gundy is much more open minded now compared to last year. He's giving the guards and Mcgrady more freedom and not restricting them to throw it into Yao every single time down the court. That's a major reason why the team has looked better. Earlier in the season the offense was run the same way it was last year and the results were ugly.

I'm curious how last year's team would have looked if the offense was run the same way it is now. If Francis doesn't have the worse season of his career and the defense remains as good as it was last season, who knows how good they would have played last season.

15. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

Now

I know that this team is rarely out of a game and while they tend to let people sneak back into games I trust them to finish the job in crunch time.

I think that Rockets will have a huge 2nd half of the season. I still say 5th spot in the playoffs

16. solid

solid Contributing Member

This year's team is far superior to last years, similar records notwithstanding. The current team is smarter as illustrated by the excellent ball movement. Basketball 101, every time you pass the ball, the defense has to reset. The team last year did not understand this. Players would stand around and watch a dribbling show. Last year was a brick fest. Seeing the threes swish through this year is sweet. Bottomline, this team, at present, is VERY entertaining to watch. I am having "real" fun for the first time in over five years.

The downsides are Ming's performance until recently, Wesley's poor shooting, Strickland (who looked fair last night, it's a miracle!), and Sura's injuries. TMac has been fabulous, Howard is coming along, Sura has exceeded my expectations, and Barry & Padgett have been huge. The "motion" last night was unreal, the best I have seen in years.

17. mfgarza

mfgarza Contributing Member

I just like the fact that we play smarter and more efficiently. The offense is just so much more smoother. I hated when our old guards just killed the shot clock by overdribbling or didn't make the obvious pass.I do miss some of the athleticism though but I'll take smart play over acrobatic plays any day. If we could just get some young big guy, I think we'd have a nice combination of youth w/veterans. Maybe Swift.

#17 mfgarza, Feb 3, 2005
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2005
  18. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

I think we should wait and compare last year to next year.

19. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

The team I'm seeing right now really impresses me. It surprises me, frankly. Different guys stepping up every night on the peripheral while getting consistent play from our stars. As someone else said, the ball movement is just amazing. I haven't seen the Rockets play like that in years. They're getting good shots...and not dribbling the clock away.

Start from the point where we had a healthy Sura with Barry and Wesley...and I'll take that team over an 82 game season over last year's squad every day of the week and twice on Sundays.

20. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

Can you imagine what our record would be if we had the team we have now to start the season