1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sergio Rodriguez?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by mikeyharris, Jul 15, 2015.

1. mikeyharris

mikeyharris Member

@IAmDPick: I'm told Sergio Rodriguez had talks with a Western Conference team, but Madrid will fight to keep him in Spain.

Just speculating that we could be that western conference team considering we have a need at PG.

2. micah1j

micah1j Member

I know finsraider has mentioned him and I think he would be a good back up. I think he make about 1.3m euros and he wants to come over. Not sure how much we'll have remaining of the MLE after McDaniels. Maybe 2.5 for McDaniels, 1 for Harrell, leave 2 million for a backup PG.

3. hooroo

hooroo Member

it was denver, last month.

4. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

5. finsraider

finsraider Member

Yeah, that's pretty much my thoughts, though I've wondered if we might make a big consolidation trade and then sign a bunch of rookies to 3 year deals with non-guaranteed 2nd and 3rd years.

Something like:

2.0 - McDaniels
    1.0 - Montrezl
    0.5 - Alan Williams
    0.5 - Christian Woods

6. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

I strongly doubt the Rockets will use any portion of the MLE on undrafted rookies. More likely, they'll try to sign them to two-year deals at the minimum, with only partial guarantees in the first year.

They may prefer instead to hold onto a sliver of the MLE (which does not prorate in the same manner as the veteran's minimum), if any, in case a good veteran gets bought out later in the season.

7. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

As I mentioned before in other Llull threads, its a crackpot theory but here's the jist of it:

I believe, just a hunch, that since this initial report about Rodriguez came out around the same time that Llull was negotiating with the Rockets, that this was connected.

Keep in mind Llull and Rodriguez are two comparable players in Europe, who are very close, likely have some of the same representatives, and play for the same team. It would make sense that, Llull and his people, knowing the Rockets were only seemingly working within the limits of the MLE, were pushing to get higher market value numbers in order to financially make it worthwhile to make the jump to the NBA.

Enter Sergio Rodriguez probing the NBA market at a whole to see what his value would be.

If Rodriguez had interest from teams over the MLE, its likely they would use that as leverage against the Rockets to say "clear cap well above the MLE, or we stay in Europe". Since Llull ended up staying in Europe, I'd be interested to see what the potential offers looked like for Rodriguez. Had to be fairly good.

Again.. crackpot theory, but if I'm Sergio Llull's agent, and I had that relationship with Rodriguez and his people to use as leverage when negotiating a huge buyout that my client would have to eat, I would look into doing the exact same thing.

I never for a second thought that Rodriguez had any interest in coming back to the NBA, and still don't.

8. finsraider

finsraider Member

Agree that what you suggested is the more likely route. It would put us in position to capitalize on unique situations like Smith last year. Perhaps Lawson if he gets bought out.

Those 1 & 2 year contracts can come back to bite you though.

9. b2bizchina

b2bizchina Member

I don't think Morey will want Sergio Rodriguez .
    Rodriguez can't defend any elite PG in NBA.
    If there is a Westerm team to want him, it's maybe Portland or Jazz

10. malakas

malakas Member

oh yeah great idea. He will fit perfect with the Jazz. Maybe it's them. They even talked to Teodosic before.

11. b2bizchina

b2bizchina Member

It's not money! We don't need Sergio Rodriguez
    This guy is a good player In euro, but he can't live in NBA

12. Mattician

Mattician Member

The West has so many great point guards. Beverley is probably the best defending point guard that the Rockets could potentially have in the starting lineup at the start of the season.

I can't wait to see Beverley on the court being a pest again.

13. ooooaaaah!

ooooaaaah! Member

Did you see his minutes? He had better stats then Llull with less court time. Petrovic was 27 before he was given any PT and the NBA finally realized he was an All-Star.

I'm not saying he can be great but throwing up some stats and acting like it means something is weak on evidence.

14. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

Who cares? Joey Dorsey dominated the Euro leagues and is barely functional in the NBA.

15. anchel

anchel Member

:confused::confused::confused: Sure, sure...

16. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Wha... are the Rockets going to look at all the PGs from Spain?

17. 1510 Polk St

1510 Polk St Member

Why we should want a garbaje player like Rodriguez?

18. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

I mean, at least link bbref so you can see his per-36 and advanced stats...

That said, I doubt we're interested. Rodriguez was one of the worst defenders I've ever seen. Calderon-bad.

19. b2bizchina

b2bizchina Member

Maybe u should learn advanced stastics