1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Serge Ibaka traded to Toronto for Terrence Ross and 1st round pick

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Clutch, Feb 14, 2017.

1. rockets13champs

We could of had this guy for KJ and a 1st

2. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

No we couldn't have.

Ross is a decent fringe starter and a rotational player in the NBA. KJ can't get playing time over Corey Brewer.

3. Vivi

Vivi Member

What larsv means is that we were not going to win anyway this season with Ibaka so there's no need to get desperate to get him, trading Dekker and Trez with a 1st (assuming the Magic like them more than Ross which is something we don't even know) would've been a desperate move. IF Morey stays pat we'll still be able to sign a player in the same caliber of Ibaka (if not better) this summer without losing a guy like Dekker who may become a starter (and a better asset) in the future.

Lol no.

Chamillionaire and roslolian like this.
  4. YOLO

YOLO Member

false

5. J.R.

J.R. Member

Darrell is interested in that open, expired bag of Doritos you mentioned the other day.

He likes the deal but is holding out for one more bag & one more 12-pack of cream soda.

FTW Rockets FTW likes this.
  6. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

You guys are being silly. It makes sense for Toronto because they have no cap space and they are free falling as a team, and Lowry is approaching free agency. They HAD to do something, and couldn't wait till the summer, or their team might fall apart. And it still might, because Ibaka / Lowry might leave anyway.

Houston is better served, using their cap space this summer and then moving our pieces for another acquisition, afterward. It's just simple asset management, whereby being patient, you make the team better / deeper than it would have been than with an Ibaka trade.

Chamillionaire and roslolian like this.
  7. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

Not true. Harden is 27 years old. The Warriors have a ton of free agents this summer including Curry, Iggy, Livingston, and Durant(if he opts out). They may be able to retain all those guys, but it'll cost them a fortune. This is about as good as it's gonna get for that franchise(which admittedly is a nice place to be).

roslolian likes this.
  8. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

Are the Rockets standing "Pat"? ;););););)

ramotadab likes this.
  9. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I think that's a stupid mentality. The Rockets are the third best team in basketball right now and shown they can beat good teams. They have some roster issues though that could be addressed to make them better. To say we aren't going to win anyway is weak.

No, we are not as good as the Warriors. However, as the 3 seed we would only meet the Warriors in the WCF, but we'd have to get there first. A lot can happen in the playoffs before then. Someone could get hot and knock off the Warriors. The Warriors could have an injury. We could meet in the WCF and we get hot for four games and knock them off, etc. When you have a year like this you have to go for it and hope for the best. Punting is such a mistake. We did that the year we went to the WCF already and we got there and were undermanned and just didn't have the horses. Everyone thought "well next year we'll be reloaded and make another run at it" and instead if all cratered.

This isn't specific to Ibaka per se, but if we do nothing but another scrub trade like we do every year, that will be pathetic. If the only time we will go all in is when we are better than the Warriors, then we might as well just trade Harden now and quit for a few years. They have four hall of famers. It pisses me off. They are loaded and it hurts the game of basketball, but you still have to take your best shot and we have a fighting chance this year. If we punt because we want the chance to watch people re-sign with their own teams in the offseason I'm going to be pissed.

We don't upgrade at at all and we lose to the WCF with Brewer playing 10-15 minutes a game in the finals and shooting 20% from three and we lose by an average of 6 points? That would be it.

10. Brown Lost It

Brown Lost It Member

This is the main reason teams stayed away from Ibaka who is certainly signing with the highest bidder.

roslolian likes this.
  11. asianballa23

asianballa23 Member

are you really that dumb and ignorant or just KJ's biggest homer fan?

malakas likes this.
  12. hibbetts

hibbetts Member

Another lost opportunity

13. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Why can't he be both?

14. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard
    Supporting Member

We need to sign Tracy Murray...

Nook likes this.
  15. Vivi

Vivi Member

I'm obviously happy that we've the third best record as today, but i don't think we have the third best team tbh...we're not better than the Cavs or the Clippers, i also kinda remember to have read somewhere that our record against top teams is nothing special (unless i don't remember well)...and tbh this roster seems more built to be effective in the regulars season, but that's just me.

However, i understand the frustration, but you've also to be realistic, getting desperate and making a bad deal (which is what i'd consider trading Dekker, Trez and a 1st here) is just not what you should want for your team. Especially if your the gm since you should work for the present but also the future of your team.

And just for the record, i think everyone here would be happy to see some moves, who doesn't want to see an upgrade here and there? But they have to make sense, what if the Magic asked Morey Ariza (Ross) with pick and Dekker or Trez -> without Brewer?

16. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

To some extend this tells you how well Ibaka played this season.

Yes he is a FA to be, but that's not the only reason for this outcome.

17. ROXonROXonROX

ROXonROXonROX Member

DM seems to value draft picks way too much but I don't understand why if you're in a win mode now. How does a rookie ever help you win championships especially since most of them come out at age 19

18. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Also, the deadline isn't even over.

Maybe we have other things lined up.

19. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

20. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Maybe DM has better use for the draft picks. He did net us Dekker, Capela, and Harrell with firsts well outside the lottery. In any case, why expend first rounders, even late ones, on a guy who can walk and/or get overpaid?

Let's see what other players shake free.

Hui likes this.