1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Serge Ibaka + Rockets = Championships

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by varughese.arun, Jan 4, 2017.

Tags:
  1. varughese.arun

This guy did a great job.
    Fast-forward to about 7:23 and he addresses IBAKA trade.

dragonwill and RyanB like this.
  2. Garner

Garner Member

"The Houston Rockets, they're really frickin good. They're 26 and 9, they're the 3rd seed in the Ea-West"

3. kwakmeister

kwakmeister Contributing Member

I wrote for about 10 minutes about why I don't think that this is a good move, but the more I wrote the more I realized it's actually kind of reasonable.

Keep in mind when it comes to minutes there can be circumstances that cause a player to play more or less minutes each game, so I made a very vague chart of how we could distribute minutes in a 9 man rotation and this is what I got:

[​IMG]

I aimed to hit 48 at all positions and I did not care to classify Harden, Gordon or Beverley I just let the minutes flow using easy numbers. I could see Ibaka playing more minutes, more than 26 on nights that Nene needs rest. Anderson can also play some center and Dekker can move his minutes up for that night.

That is a nice roster. I bet the defensive rating would be nice with a Beverley/x/Ariza/Ibaka/Capela lineup. The ages are all great for Harden's prime too.

Ok I think I'm convinced that this is a decent move. Harrell, KJ, Brewer and a future first? And hell lets throw in the rights to Llull since we know he's not coming over and I'm sick of seeing his name. I would add anything not in the 9 man rotation and if push came to shove we have 3 second round picks we can work with too but since Ibaka is a free agent at the end of the year, it may not be wise to dump many assets.

[​IMG]

4. varughese.arun

The guy kept pronouncing the "L" in "MONTREZL." haaaahaaaa

Why not? likes this.
  5. thedude077

thedude077 Member

The Rockets also have to trade Clint Capela and another first rd pick for him too.

6. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

I wouldn't be too sure about that. It's been long rumored that Ibaka is way older than his listed age. He looked way older for his age when he came in the league. He also has an 11-year old daughter and he's only 27 (not that it's biologically impossible or even that improbable, just another thing to consider when discussing his true age).

macho GRANDE and varughese.arun like this.
  7. mike2k132

mike2k132 Member

I been saying this in every thread i think we could steal him

rocketsfan611 likes this.
  8. varughese.arun

Wow...first of all, good work man!
    Secondly, I wanted to address a point you mentioned. I was also concerned by the fact that ibaka only has 1 year left on his contract. This is the only think making me second guess the trade. however, Ibaka is only getting paid 12mill now, and the cap will shoot up in 2018. So I think it's reasonable to take a chance on him.

Furthermore, I do not think we need to give up as many pieces/assets as you suggested.

Like the guy in the video said... Ryan Anderson will get molested on the defensive end come playoffs. we need to address this problem, and for we could find a big that could defend AND shoot 40% from 3s... I think those are pretty compelling reasons

rocketsfan611 likes this.
  9. varughese.arun

This is a very good point. The man does look a lot older.

10. psman2

psman2 Member

Orlando gave up the 11th pick and Oladipo for Ibaka in the offseason. He has played great for them and they are in the playoff hunt, and they want to resign him. It would take a lot me than our castoffs and a very late 1st for Orlando to give him up.

Think Capella/and or Dekker added to the package. I know Toronto would offer up quite a bit to acquire him, we would have to beat their package.

robgue, saleem, kevtse and 1 other person like this.
  11. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Serge Ibaka invented Linear A.

BootyHunter and D-rock like this.
  12. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Hard to watch the Lion prince with the Magic in the East.

13. Codman

Codman Contributing Member

Nice post.

Serge would be interesting here, and obviously, he has a bond with James. They like him in Orlando, as a leadership guy and a central piece moving forward.

Orlando is talking quite a bit, but I haven't heard much chatter about Serge.

Point guards though? That's a different story.

14. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Good, the Rockets desperately need another PG for when Bev is hurt. The garbage they have behind him just has no business being in the NBA.

vator likes this.
  15. Newlin

Newlin Member

I agree. I think it would have to be Harrell, Dekker, others to make the salary match, and draft picks to get a player like Ibaka. Not sure the Rockets do that.

16. varughese.arun

I don't think the Rockets will let go of CAPELLA that easily.
    I think its reasonable to give
    DEKKER + KJ + Corey+ picks + (assets from 3rd team).

I'd be willing to bet the farm on Ibaka.

17. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

Concerned about his age. Might be 31. That isn't old, but he'd be leaving his prime soon. Worth taking us out of free agency for?

18. T for 3

T for 3 Member

I really wanted to disagree with this...but the guy did a great job. I'm in. IF the worst we have to give up is dekker or trez or both. anything more and i'm out.

saleem, Ramo$e and varughese.arun like this.
  19. D-rock

D-rock Member

If Ibaka is not doable, would really like to add more D and athleticism to team in form of Aaron Gordon. Gordon is better defender than Dekker, better rebounder than Harrell and can outrun Brewer.

20. T for 3

T for 3 Member

I don't think there is any way you could be referencing payton? Agustin would fit here....but would he be an upgrade? ,maybe you aren't even saying there is a rockets tie in, but your the cryptic message guy right?

saleem and varughese.arun like this.