1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

September Baseball

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by cangrejero51, Sep 3, 2015.

1. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

The Rangers have certainly been playing better... but I strongly believe in the run differential factor as determining which team is truly playing to their capabilities.

If they end up dominating the Astros in the head-to-head, you can throw that out the window... but I just don't see the Astros collapsing as a likely scenario (unless you're a long-suffering Houstonian who just automatically expects the "worse" for your team).

2. jim1961

jim1961 Member

We need to go at least 4-3 in those seven games vs the Rangers.

3. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Yeah, that doesn't make me feel much better. Especially since the rangers have won 8 of their last 11.

4. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

The Astros had won 8 out of 11 before this little 4-game stumble that has thrown everyone into a panic......

#44 Hey Now!, Sep 3, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2015
  5. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

The Rangers are winning a ton of close games right now. They are 10-1 in their last 11 games decided by 2 runs or less. They have outscored opponents by 2 runs total since the All Star break, yet are 28-16, I'm confident they will cool off.

As for the Astros, it's amazing how one freaking game seems to alter the feelings of so many. If the Astros would have won 1 of those games against Seattle, we would have been 13-7 in our 20, and won or split 7 straight series. We are also 24-19 (90 win pace) since the All Star break.

But we lost 2 of 3, and people are panicking.

6. conquistador#11

the funny thing is that the op had a similar thread on why we would win September baseball.

7. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

The OP is a problem... that's the only thing I can say for-sure after reading all his posts/threads.

8. ima_drummer2k

Not panic...just being realistic. Preparing for the worst and hoping for the best.

9. J.R.

J.R. Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">If Astros go 15-13 (9-3 at home, 6-10 on road) ... that's 88 wins ... Rangers would have to go 19-11 to win AL West.</p>&mdash; Reid Laymance (@ReidLaymance) <a href="https://twitter.com/ReidLaymance/status/639525113751207936">September 3, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

10. Hey Now!

Yeah... 19 of 30 is a 102-win pace. Teams are certainly capable of putting a stretch like that together, even teams that aren't great - but it's tough, man. Chasing is hard.

The Astros get to reap the benefit of building the early lead. It'd be nice/easier if they played well down the stretch... but as long as they just play ever-so-slightly above average... it forces Texas and (especially) Anaheim to have to play near flawlessly. And, FYI, the Twins would also have to play .633 baseball or the Astros would still snag a Wild Card.

I think 15 wins will do it; I think 16+ is a lock.

No one should count the chickens yet, by any means - but of the four contenders (and we probably shouldn't discount the Yankees, as they're only up 2 games on the Astros), the Astros have the *least* to worry about.

11. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Said it before and I'll say it again. Just playing meaningful September baseball makes me happy. Anything else that happens is gravy...

12. Buck Turgidson

How could anyone care differently? Given where things started in March, this all looks good to me.

13. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

This is exactly what is happening!

14. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I'll quote these if we lose out on the playoffs after being swept by Arlington. It'll be gravy with crab-infested pubes.

15. Hey Now!

I'm with Buck; sure, it'll be disappointing. But I've long thought this was a flawed team, and the idea of Luhnow having an opportunity to address those concerns and improve on a team with an obviously fantastic nucleus will be a terrific salve for any wound a collapse this season might leave behind.

Not to mention, I've had 2017 drilled into my head for so long... this year and next year feel like found money. We're essentially getting two extra years of this rebuild paying off and that's awesome.

(Also, I don't think they're going to blow it...)

(Also also: I'm wrong a lot.....)

16. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Again, I'll quote you if we lose out because of the Rangers. That would suck so hard no matter the expectations in March.

17. Hey Now!

I'm not going to be whistling zippity-do-da if they blow it. But... it's not going to bring about the destruction of my soul. It's baseball. There's always a next year.....

18. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I'm pretty sure it's not going to bring about the destruction of anyone's soul.

19. Hey Now!

No, it will. I literally meant that literally with literally no exaggeration whatsoever. Literally.

I don't know, man... It's sports. I love watching October baseball maybe more than anything - as long as the Astros are playing. If they're not involved... I won't watch and I'll be free and clear of any residual hang over.

20. ima_drummer2k

So, the rangers are playing great and quickly gaining ground on us.....but all of their wins have been very close!

And the Astros have lost 4 of 6....but besides those 4 losses, we're 2-0!

This place is pretty much the exact opposite of the Texans forum. :)