1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[September 14] Mayweather vs Canelo

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by 713, May 29, 2013.

?

Who you got?

1. Mayweather

51 vote(s)
    67.1%
  2. Canelo

25 vote(s)
    32.9%
  1. King of 40 Acres

King of 40 Acres Contributing Member

Just a heads up...

Mayweather and Canelo are in the midst of a press tour to promote the fight. they're scheduled to come to Houston this coming Monday afternoon (July 1st) at 1pm. They're also scheduled to be in San Antonio that day at 6pm so I don't anticipate them being there that long. The presser is scheduled to take place at Union Station at Minute Maid Park.

http://www.goldenboypromotions.com/news/floyd-mayweather-vs-canelo-alvarez-11-city-two-country-press-tour-locations-and-times-announced-with/

#61 King of 40 Acres, Jun 28, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2013
  2. cardpire

cardpire Member

that's pretty cool. i wonder how big of a crowd there will be.

3. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Pac was a monster. However it is suspicious how guy moves up in weight class and knocks more people out.

4. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

But who did he knock out? He was already a power puncher in the lower weights. Since the move to 135, he's only KO one guy, Ricky Hatton. He stopped Cotto in the 12th but that's it. Fights against clottey, Mosley, Marquez 3, Margarito and Bradley all went 12 rounds.

I don't see his wins at lightweight and up that surprising. Guys like Oscar and Mosley were old and shot, Hatton had various problems, Margarito was tailor made for Manny and Cotto was a damaged fighter.

The statement that as Manny moves up in weight, the more people get knocked out is false. In fact, his KO rate has lowered since moving up.

5. King of 40 Acres

I barely saw the press release on their 12 city promotional tour today. haven't really seen any news coverage but it's only Friday. I think a pretty decent crowd will show up that day.

6. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

Yea it will be HUGE. Big Hispanic population and Houston is a good boxing crowd. The past few fights that have been here, crowd was ruckus each time.

7. King of 40 Acres

anyone else planning on going to the press conference tomorrow at minute maid park?

8. rocketsfeeva

rocketsfeeva Member

All access came back recently. Anybody been keeping up with it? These things always gets me hyped lol

9. King1

King1 Contributing Member

All Access hasn't been interesting at all to be honest

10. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

I liked it better when it was its own thing, now it's blatantly trying to copy 24/7's format. Before they didnt have any voice overs, the only audio you heard were the fighters and their people. They told their own story. Which gave it a much more different and realistic look into their lives/training.

With that said, Im a boxing nut so I do enjoy this one so far. Not a huge fan of Floyds antics outside the ring but he had some good one liners. Like when He said he didnt know he was fighting Blake Griffin and "they better not throw urine on me" when he was in mexico haha.

Also thought it was pretty interesting when Ellerbe was talking about the catchweight clause and how he read an article that Canelo's manager said he was willing to do catchweight. Pretty much said they openly took advantage of it.

Makes you wonder about the Floyd nut huggers because they always want to jump on other fighters for taking advantage of opponents with a catchweight. Guess it's A OK when their guy does it though lol.

11. dragician

dragician Member

interesting match up.

12. King1

Agree completely on all access.

In terms of catchweights, I'll always hate them no matter what fighter does it. There are weight classes for a reason. Any person who is a "_only fan" rarely acknowledges anything negative on the person they support. Be it Pac, Floyd, Lin, ect....all they normally do is ruin intelligent discussion because they are clueless about the sport.

13. ILoveWhiteGirls

Jeremy Lin is a boxer?

14. King1

You have the reading comprehension level of a fire hydrant

15. ILoveWhiteGirls

Fire hydrant, what? :confused: Apparently you can't write or make sense?

16. King1

You need a brisk walk.

17. el gnomo

el gnomo Member

Anyone else thinks Canelo looks a LOT like Blake Griffin?

18. Brandyon

Brandyon Member

See: Simile

19. david_rocket

david_rocket Member

Yep, I always thought that.

20. el gnomo

el gnomo Member

It's really uncanny. Canelo looks more like Blake Griffin than his own brother, Taylor.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]