1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[September 14] Mayweather vs Canelo

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by 713, May 29, 2013.

?

Who you got?

1. Mayweather

51 vote(s)
    67.1%
  2. Canelo

25 vote(s)
    32.9%
  1. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

This is a good fight. Alvarez is a big name and he is HUGE in Mexico. This fight will definitely make more money than Mays previous.

2. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

I think Pacman, when the fight should have happened (after Hatton or Cotto fight) would have been his toughest. Sergio, if he could have drained himself to 152, would be picked apart by Floyd. Dude barley escaped with a win in his last fight.

Canelo's only edge over Floyd is size. But after watching that Trout fight, I think the first few rounds could be competitive, then Floyd will take control and outbox him the rest of the night. Definitely his toughest fight in a long time though. Floyd looks much better at 147 than the Cotto fight at 154 so who knows, maybe Cinnamon can shock the world.

3. King1

King1 Contributing Member

Pac was never a tough fight. He's wide open for the two punches Floyd lands most often. The overhand right and the check hook. It would have been target practice. Paul Williams (who he legit wanted no part of), Erislandy Lara and Martinez at 54 of two years ago would have all been great fights. The only reason I wanted to see the Manny fight was to laugh at his fan base. I couldn't careless about it anymore.

I see it as a 9-3 type of fight but I give Canelo all the credit in the world for taking this. He'll need to cut off the right and not be susceptible to body shots but that's easier said then done

4. dragician

dragician Member

http://msn.foxsports.com/boxing/sto...-but-it-is-still-his-best-fight-option-053013

This is a “money” matchup for Mayweather, nothing more.

5. VanityHalfBlack

It's care less you dumb ox.

1 person likes this.
  6. King1

And you've been reduced to correcting spelling on an internet message board. All good. I still appreciate you being a fan

7. Nice Rollin

Nice Rollin Contributing Member

I'm a hater and I'm satisfied

8. SunsRocketsfan

Pac has definitely gone down hill but you are delusional..pac in his prime (right After the cotto fight) WAS A VERY TOUGH FIGHT for floyd...thats why it didnt happen. Pac had two things going for him speed and power... Floyd would not have knocked pac out and pac could have landed a big one with his speed and power...this is exactly why this canelo fight is interesting. He has the power to knock mayweather out. Although hes not as fast or quick as pacman

1 person likes this.
  9. King1

Floyd has lost a step as well. That said, we share different opinions and that's cool. Pac's speed and power weren't enough to bother Floyd. Pac is an accumulation puncher; not a one shot guy. One shot is what it takes to bother Floyd. That or tying him up and working inside (see Castillo 1). It didn't happen because Pac wouldn't take testing (first time), Floyd got pissed and priced himself out of the fight by demanding 60/40 (second time), and Arum the third time. You're delusional if you honestly think Floyd is scared of Manny. Never has been and never was. No way to tell if Floyd would have "knocked him out" (I predicted a wide decision). Canelo definitely has the power to hurt Floyd (hard to say knock him out considering he's never been stopped before and got caught with a huge shot from Mosely without going down) but he's definitely a harder fight then Manny ever was going to be. I think Canelo is too green right now to win the fight but it will be a valuable learning experience and he's to be applauded for stepping up. He's definitely in a position to carry boxing now that Floyd and Pac have the light at the end of the tunnel

10. SunsRocketsfan

Definitely different opinions. Pac did have a single punch knock out power... See. Ricky Hatton.. Canelo in his young career does not have that defining knock out yet.. Her will have to have a bit of luck to win his one...

Im not saying pacquaio would have won but when you say he was no threat you are just being blind.. He definitely was a threat... There are a lot of reasons the fight didnt happen but flyod was not actively seeking that fight.. Just ask fifty cent and watch his interview on the topic...

As a boxing fan it would havd been one of the greatest fights in history.. Two different styles.. Two guys at the top of their game.. Pacquaio a few years ago was defnitely more threatening than the current canelo.. But ill still take this fight..its the best we can get now

11. King1

Knocking Hatton out isn't a big deal. Ricky's chin was questionable and Manny landed the perfect punch (similar to what knocked him out). Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying manny doesn't have power, just not one shot KO power. Very few guys do. When I think of a guy like that I think of someone like Julian Jackson.

I just don't see it as a competitive fight. Styles make fights and Manny's is taylor made for Floyd. I'll use Zab Judah as an example. I knew he was going to give Floyd some problems and he did (won 4 rounds and should have been credited with a knockdown). Judah would pose no threat to manny whatsoever and likely get stopped within 8 rounds.

It would have been a great event, but I just see the fight as an easy decision for Floyd. I would have attended it live though for sure. No question about that. Floyd did pursue the fight the first time and conceeded everything accept the drug testing which Manny wouldn't agree to. Since then, you're correct. Floyd has shown little to no interest in the fight outside of the offer to pay Manny a flat 40 million. Ironically, I was on Manny's side for not taking it but after reading how Arum has screwed him over financially I'm not so sure. Canelo is the bigger threat. His power and the fact that he will be 25 pounds heavier in the ring on fight night is a big difference. There is no rehydration clause. I think people are going to be shocked when they see them in the center of the ring getting insctructions at the size disparity. You can't put any stock in what 50 said. He was pissed that Mayweather didn't join his boxing promotion and elected to stay with Al. He had just paid 1 million to get Gamboa out of his TR deal and needed Floyd for network leverage. Now he's stuck giving a % of the guy he bought out to the guy he bought him out from. Arum was probably laughing in his face when he signed the contracts

I don't like the catchweight bull**** anymore then I did then when Pac does it but I'm happy we're getting this fight. Hopefully if Floyd handles Canelo's size well we can get a Sergio martinez fight next. I don't care to see Floyd fight the Amir Khan and Devon Alexanders of the world although I would understand the Khan fight for financial reasons. He'd make more off that then he would from facing Martinez but it is what it is.

12. SunsRocketsfan

we will just have to settle with a difference of opinion which is fine.

Definitely ironic though this fight is at a catch weigh after floyd, well acutally mainly his fans gave Pacquiao so much crap for it. The downside of dehydrating yourself to make weight and trying to rehydrate is one day isnt enough for your body to recover. Sometimes it can make your feel sluggish and crappy.. we'll see though. This is canelo's chance to make a name for himself so I'm sure he's motivated as hell.. going to be a great fight

13. King1

It was a good discussion. Definitely better then most of the stuff that gets posted in boxing threads on here.

Yeah, if you criticized Pac for the catchweights then you have to do the same with Floyd. I think Canelo will be fine on the cut. The two pounds won't be a difference. Now if this fight was at 50 then I'd have some concern as he already has difficulty getting to 54. I'm sure he is going to spend more time watching his diet before he even hits camp just to be on the safe side though. I hope the fight lives up to the billing. If it delivers then we'll probably get a rematch at some point.

14. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Floyd doesn't want to battle this guy on fight night at 170+ -- good move by Mayweather.

15. SunsRocketsfan

I agree it was definitely a good move by Mayweather. All I was pointing out it's ironic that Pacquiao got a lot of crap from Mayweather on catchweights (actually I dont believe Mayweather ever commented on the issue.. It was mainly from his fans and maybe his uncle/dad).

I'm just looking for a great 3 months of boxing in Sept, Oct, November.

16. SunsRocketsfan

Yeah thanks for the good discussions.
    I believe there is a rematch clause in both contracts but I'm not positive.

We will most likely see a rematch:
    -If it's a close fight and Mayweather wins the decision
    -If it's a close fight and Canelo wins the decision
    -If Canelo knocks Mayweather out

Not sure if we will see a rematch if
    -Mayweather dominates and wins the decisions easily
    -Mayweather knocks Canelo out
    Basically no one wants to see a rematch if Canelo is just out of his league and far too young still.

17. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

[​IMG]

^ :eek: Obviously photoshopped... because Mayweather is not running around the ring or blocking with his shoulder.

;)

18. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

Pacman was a beast at that time forsure but what ppl do fail to realize is that floyd is the bigger fighter and has equal knockout power. The difference is style PAC was very aggresive looking to knock you out. We're floyd is just looking for the win and to outbox you.

I would have loved to see that fight back then. Personally I have always thought Floyd would win fairly easy but it still would have been entertaining as can be. Ill be at this fight forsure. Iv never been impressed with canelo as much as the hype would lead you to believe. He really hasn't fought anyone except his last fight. He is really young and defentaly gonna be a superstar in a few years though. Against trout who's an excellent fighter by the way mad props to canelo for beating him because trouts a monster. But canelo showed holes that Floyd will exploit big time. His conditioning needs to be much better. His defense needs to tighten up alot. All those shots trout missed cause he was just a little to slow Floyd will hit all night.

I would not be shocked it floyd knocks canelo to the canvas. It's gonna be hyped and is what boxing needs. Gonna be a great fight.

Now if you want to see knock outs power watch GGG and Lucas mattysie. GGG fights this month against Maklin and it's gonna be a great fight I predict tko by GGG by 4th round. Dude is a monster and in his prime physically. Lucas is gonna fight Danny Garcia which will be a good fight if your a boxing fan like me. Garcia is gonna get smoked IMO Lucas is the real deal. Both of these guys will be p4p very soon.

Broner vs mallinagi is soon too Broner is the real deal also. Should be fun event lots of smack talk between these two.

If your a boxing fan this yr has been great and it only getting better with the announcement of this fight. I encourage ppl to watch these guys there great boxers. The sport is not dead ppl just need to open there eyes to other ppl than PAC and Floyd.

Btw Sergio is done. To old, injured bad his last two fights. He would get destroyed by alot if fighter especially floyd that's not the best fight out there. This canelo fight is far more appealing. Sergio had one more fight left in him. He should fight jr again get paid and now out cause his career is over IMO.

19. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

Mayweather himself actually said he doesn't drain fighters, and wants them at their best weight and where they are most comfortable. So yes, I too find it funny.

This is false. Floyd does not have equal power as Manny. Floyd is not a power puncher by any means. If there is one advantage you could give Manny in that fight, it would be that he's the harder puncher.

20. SunsRocketsfan

I'm sorry the 2nd part of your statement is SO FALSE AND INCORRECT on so many levels. Floyd IS NOT a power boxer. He is a defensive minded genius in the boxing ring and will wear his oppoents down by outboxing them. His latest power knockdown of memory was on a unsuspecting Ortiz who just wanted to hug him.
    Just look at his record of 44 wins with only 26 coming from KOs. Flyod just doesn't have the power to floor someone with a single shot. Mosley even commented on this after fighting Pacquiao and Floyd.