1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sengun simply not good enough

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ashleyem, Oct 11, 2022.

1. ashleyem

ashleyem Member

I was skeptical about him when we drafted him and after watching him for a year, I can firmly conclude that he will never become a starting calibre center on a championship contender. In fact, Bruno maybe a better option at the 5 than Sengun right now.

He’s an unathletic undersized center who cannot shoot. He provides no rim protection. He gets bullied by a 33-year-old Dedmon. He is not switchable. He cannot space the floor. He cannot catch lobs. He is not a good finisher at the rim. He is a good passer but without shooting he will never be an effective high post playmaker.

Even a player Jokic’s calibre struggled against defending pick and roll in the playoffs. Can Sengun’s offense good enough to negate his limitations on defense? I don’t think so! Not to mention Sengun is nowhere near Jokic’s skill level/ physique.

Trade him while his value is high, it’s a waste of time.

plegus, RocketStan, Ren ason and 7 others like this.
  2. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Sure, ignore anything good this man has done in the past and will do in the future because it fits Ashleyem's narrative.

3. Jontro

Jontro Member

trade him and kjp for a couple of frp. we already got our token in gary

4. Ancient Moabite

Sengun will likely be a Rocket at least for duration of rookie deal to see what can provide with the young bulls, only way he gets moved is for a Jokic / Giannis type deal, but he will get his chance to shine this year

The true ballers find a way to impact the game regardless of certain limitations they may have, Sengun seems like he is cut from that cloth but time will tell

5. clutchdabear

clutchdabear Member

I feel a lot better about Alperen's chances to succeed now that one of our village idiots started a dumbass thread. Thanks OP.

6. clos4life

clos4life Member

Certain posters guarantee player success or failure.

7. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

ashleyem - simply not good enough

go back to being a Mavs fan?

8. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Fans simply not patient enough.

9. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

Sengun is one of the young rookies last season, and frankly speaking, he hasn't looked any worse than some of the other sophomores out there.

Scottie Barnes for example is averaging 6/6/3 on 3 TOs, on TS 42% in 4 games so far.

10. bmelo

bmelo Member

He was just outmuscled chill out

34to11 likes this.
  11. PatBev

PatBev Member

We’ll just play him 40mpg a game and you might get yourself Wemby and solve your problem

12. PatBev

PatBev Member

We’ll just play him 40mpg a game and you might get yourself Wemby and solve your problem

13. HookemHorns1250

I don’t see a problem really. Let’s say a worst case scenario, he isn’t starting material. The second unit will always need a playmaker, so he goes to that unit.

It’s a good thing to have these kind of young players. Some may turn into starts, some may be second unit players, and that’s ok. (I still believe he can be a starting 4 (5 if he can consistently hit 3’s)

pr0wler, majicdonjuan, 34to11 and 7 others like this.
  14. fattz

fattz Member

Sengun is very polarizing. Oddly I see both sides and agree with most things said. His youth is what makes a lot of his appeal for me because how can someone that young be so crafty. With does a mature Sengun compare to? A lot definitely depends on how and who develops him. We have the responsibility and benefit to find out.

15. mightybosstone

Yeah, like they always say, you should definitely base your basketball takes on one-game sample sizes in the preseason. Seems legit.

slothy420, don grahamleone and Rokman like this.
  16. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Let's judge players not only on one game, but one preseason game.

Never stick it out with a player, always trade them if they look bad.

17. hahachui

hahachui Member

Yes. Can’t trade him before that

18. cheke64

cheke64 Member

He's like Scola defensively without the offense.

19. Swapshop

Swapshop Member

He definitely will the be weak link of the starting lineup. It sucks because the things he is good at he is elite but center might be the most important defensive position and he struggles at it. It's still too early, we'll see but op's concerns are not illegitimate.

It was nice to see Porter and Green have a good game though.

20. cazyapma

cazyapma Member

We all gonna die!

Oh I've just noticed, it's my 10th anniversary in clutchfanz. 29th post in 10 years.

BMoney, Aware, RocketWalta and 14 others like this.