1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sengun>Mobley

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by juanming, Dec 9, 2021.

1. AlperenSengun

AlperenSengun Member

I was not talking about short term. Completely agree with Wood being dealt.

I am not worried about the post-up. I am worried that the coaching staff will not invest in developing his post-up play, even though it is coming so naturally to him, and he is already really good at 19 years old. I think he has a chance to be an all time great in that part of the game.

2. Salvy

Salvy Member

He sort of already is a quality but inconsistent starter at 19, already a good efficient scorer... I mean he is just getting started and scoring 14ppg.... The future is bright for Houston... Sengun is better than Green all around right now but that's because of limited minutes.... 2-3 years from now we gonna have two all stars...

HardenReturns likes this.
  3. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

I consider picking up a consistent elbow jumper way more important. Opposing teams are already no longer biting on that pump fake from 3 and that has made his life on the interior much harder. Developing that jumper will really open up both his post game and passing game IMO.

HardenReturns, aaquaa and GotGame15 like this.
  4. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Excellent post.

I will add this. One day he will feast on the blocks.

glimmertwins likes this.
  5. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

thanks, but i am not happy how you phrased the answer... :)

I have asked 'tell me how mobley would have looked if playing 15 minutes on most of the nights and danuel house is a playmaker alongside him?'

you wouldnt be telling us about another levels i am sure...youd be wondering if hes a promising player at all

PT maters, rhythm matters, settling in matters...FLOW STATES matter

its like watchin a movie in spurts of 3 minutes... you wouldnt be able to focus and enjoy the movie no matter how good...youd be irritated by interruptionS and youd be irritated by the very film you want to watch...

sengun basically diodnt play real basketbal for half a year now.... except an occasional game here and there...its a huge obstacle to overcome... i dont count playing 5 or 12 minutes as basketball games

btw up until the injury sengun had better PER 36 NUMBERS than mobley not sure how situation is now...

HardenReturns, Ankara1923 and aaquaa like this.
  6. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

We didn't trade for him, only to go away from well honed skills/strengths. Patience. They'll be developed even more...as originally planned.

Remember...We have a history of great big men here. ;) Alperen couldn't be in a better place.

VooDooPope and aaquaa like this.
  7. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

Honestly, and it sucks to say this but I feel it’s the case ... with big men it just comes down to injuries.

Mobley was taken at 2 for a reason . He’s longer and more athletic. Seems smart too .

sengun I want to see more of . His form doesn’t always look great . I think you could send him down to RGV for a few games (theis is an OK backup y’all) . When he’s looked good he’s looked really good .

his foul drawing was skewing his efficiency statistics for a while ... unrealistic to expect him to keep that up . His game has so much room to go . He’s right he needs to get quicker . But , he is very very skilled .

the test will be told by how their bodies respond over the next 4+ years.

Both have A+ potential

aaquaa likes this.
  8. invocux

invocux Member

The hill i'm willing to die on. That was sad to watch.

9. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Evan Mobley on the Rockets with Silas would look terrible. No Jarrett Allen to cover him on defense, and no PG to spoonfeed him buckets. He'd average about what he averaged this series, 10 PPG and 10 RPG on inefficient shooting.

And then, if he actually tried to create offense himself, wow. If you thought Jabari and Jalen were inefficient as rookies, Mobley would have been worse.

10. Ankara1923

Ankara1923 Member

Comparing Sengun to Mobley is an insult to Alp. As @AroundTheWorld knows very well, I have always thought like that.

11. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

People enjoy kicking the dog while it is down on the ground......

12. yixiixiy

yixiixiy Member

I believe in bucket-getter-first team building philosophy. You cannot win games with predominantly defense talents.

clos4life likes this.
  13. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Mobley had pretty much the exact same ts% as Jalen Green in their respective rookie years and Mobley is a big who mostly gets assisted buckets and Green is a primarily off the dribble scorer. So that's even more sad.

JusBleezy and AroundTheWorld like this.
  14. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

If we do not get Wembayana, we should try and get Mobley as our starting Center,
    We need to trade Sengun, Porter + Tate , Nix & Garuba,

15. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I even enjoy killing the dog, tbh...

invocux likes this.
  16. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

17. TimDuncanDonaut

Evan and Alp play different positions. Evan has been a PF the last couple years with Allen as the Center. Sengun, as folks know, is our center.

They're also used very differently. Cavs have good scoring guards like Darius (and now Donovan), so the offense goes through them. Whereas we ran through a good amount of offense through Sengun. They're players of different positions and asked to do different things on their team.

18. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]

JusBleezy likes this.
  19. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Cavs could've used Keegan or Green. I don't think any team wants Mobley.

20. JusBleezy

JusBleezy Contributing Member

The Sengun vs. Mobley debate is very interesting. Mobley is definitely down right now due to how he played in the playoffs, but interesting nonetheless. The question is if you swapped them, which team would be better for it? Looking at Cleveland, Sengun next to Jarrett Allen and playmaking in the frontcourt is literally exactly what they need. You give us Mobley, we would look great defensively but the ability to play make outside of the 1-3 would be greatly missed. As the team is currently constructed, it would be a lateral move for us. For Cleveland, they'd win a few more games potentially. Maybe Sengun's defense is so bad that they lose a few more, but I highly doubt it.

invocux likes this.