1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Sengun>Mobley

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by juanming, Dec 9, 2021.

1. Tuckankhamun

Tuckankhamun Member

Slapping a color on Turks is a complicated subject, and from a genetic standpoint, entirely differs from a cultural one.

Cultuarally, Turks aren't European, they are steppe peoples from central asia, much like Mongols. Unlike Europe's resident Horse Nomands, the Hungarians, the Turks converted to Islam, putting them outside the bounds of Christendom, the proper definition of western civilization.

Genetically, Turks in central asia (Kazahstan, Turkmenistan, etc) are about on the half-way on the gradient between "White" and "Asian" that exists on the Eurasian continent. Light skin, lighter hair and eyes aren't uncommon, but neither are flatter faces with slited eyes.

Turks in Turkey were a conquering minority that gradually assimilated the Anatolians into being Turkish, much like how most white Americans aren't of Anglo stock, yet speak English and identify as "American". Genetically, Sengun's likely descendant from the same Anatolian farmers present there for thousands of years, and has more in common with Greeks and Italians, while culturally far more in-line with Turkmen and Uzbeks.

NewAge, daywalker02, D-rock and 2 others like this.
  2. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Could be simplified and connected to basketball.

The standout white athlete are the ones that are average athletically, have a good shot, are scrappy and dive for balls.

Good steady family. Normally a North American white family.

Now there are guys like White Chocolate Jason Williams or Mike Bibby that totally play like the majority of NBA players.

Usually when you talk about European players, they are a different breed of players, if you ignore their skin color.

Aussie players like Delladova/Bogut also play extremely hard.

#82 daywalker02, Dec 10, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2021
    aaquaa likes this.
  3. aaquaa

aaquaa Member

That's absolutely right. All nomadic peoples of the world can be extremely violent when they need to be.
    I must confess I put in the "very proud and very vindictive riders of the steppes" bit as a joke. (I'm only 1/4 proud and vindictive, the rest is 1/4 quick tempered and averse to criticism, and 1/2 obstinate and quarrelsome.)
    I have always used Tartar in English while I would call myself Tatar in Turkish. In fact this might be the first time I'm hearing (reading) Tatar used by a Westerner. I believe Tartar originates from Latin and Tatar from Old (Asian) Turkish. I think it's an age thing (old man, old books) and Tatar is relatively new. Hey, I come from times when there was no such thing as kebab - you had kabob instead. :)

hakeem94 and D-rock like this.
  4. aaquaa

aaquaa Member

Maybe it's because basketball has always been a club sport in Europe, mostly dominated by East European coaches who cherish their systems. (Very intense and very touchy guys who constantly demand perfection.)
    Most European players have no problem remembering and executing 47 overlapping plays, but if they're asked to improvise they will hardly dazzle you.
    I see some of this in Alperen too. While he can frequently make a play, he can't really thrive under such a hands-off coach as Silas.

daywalker02 and Jontro like this.
  5. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I have encountered blond Turkish folks.

I find that normal tourists only know about the beach resorts and Istanbul which is the bridge between the continents therefore I slapped that term onto it.

You have the picture of the Great Osmanian Empire, Constantinople and what people then looked like.

I watched Bal (a movie) and know about Anatolia myself.

And the Syrians have to pass Turkey on their way to Europe, it is hard to tell a Syrian who are more Arabic looking for the foreign eye.

But true, if some people do not feel Asian, that is totally fine with me, not judging, it was a geographical term.

#85 daywalker02, Dec 10, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2021
    aaquaa likes this.
  6. BigggReddd

BigggReddd Member

I mean.... we could've had both. OKC was anxious to trade Sengun and Mobley clearly pairs well with another big.

D-rock and aaquaa like this.
  7. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

[​IMG]

Salvy, hakeem94 and aaquaa like this.
  8. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

This math is not correct. This doesn't mean they're +.6 per 100 with Wood+Sengun and no Tate. This means they're probably around -13.5 with Wood and Sengun with no Tate. I'll give you a short example with round numbers to try to illustrate, I'll spare anyone who isn't interested in a math lesson and hide it in a spoiler.
    Assume 100 pace to make this easier (100 poss in 48 minutes)

Let Wood/Sengun be -10 in 144 minutes (300 possessions)
    Let Wood/Sengun/Tate be -12.0 in 48 minutes (100 possessions)

That means Wood/Sengun have played 300 possessions together and have been outscored by 30 points total during these minutes (10 per 100). Wood/Sengun/Tate have played 100 possessions together and have been outscored by 12 points (12 per 100).

If we know Sengun/Wood have played 300 possessions together, and 100 of them have been with Tate, then we know Wood/Sengun WITHOUT Tate have been on the court for 200 possessions. In the 300 total possessions they've been outscored by 30, and in the Tate possessions they've been outscored by 12, therefore the Wood/Sengun without Tate possessions they've been outscored by 18. If they're outscored by 18 in 200 possessions that's a net rating of -9.

D-rock, aaquaa and treyk3 like this.
  9. Zen Tabak

Zen Tabak Member

Worst halftime show

10. Tato1971

Tato1971 Member

If this team can get Jabari Smith ... OMG.
    Sengün, Garuba and Smith, we could be talking about the beginning of something really great.

aaquaa likes this.
  11. Sengun

Sengun Member

If he had played as much as him and had a great playmaker like Rubio next to him, he would have proven to be a much better player than he was. He had already shown it in the Summer League. Houston owes him a ROY.

aaquaa and hakeem94 like this.
  12. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

who is jabbari smith? is he related to jabbari parker the bust who was hyped to high heavens together with andrew wiggins back in 2014?
    if so i would pass, if not ill pass too.... i am not here for mediocrity...THERE IS NO SUBSTITUTE FOR WINNING...

13. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

[​IMG]
    PS I dont even watch mobley play... theres no need to, senguns highlights are everything!

14. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

15. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

16. aaquaa

aaquaa Member

That's right. We have no TV or internet over here.
    I for one watch my aquarium as an NBA broadcast substitute. Named one of my goldfish Alpi. He's great!

hakeem94, Roomba, daywalker02 and 2 others like this.
  17. hakeemthagreat

So where do the black american athletes normally come from?

18. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

sengun was a defensive menace at the start of the season until silasses coaching started to sink in
    what kind of coach doesnt build upon that awesome start and let his confidence grow, instead he punished him for being so AWESOME and transformed a former MVP into a problematic player that has troubles staying on the court
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

aaquaa likes this.
  19. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

We need to get Wood out of here ASAP he’s blocking Sengun.

GotGame15 and aaquaa like this.
  20. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

what if you do trade wood and silas still doesnt play Sengun?
    you never know with silas and its not like similar thing didnt already happen when half rotation was out and alphi still got only crumbles of PT
    [​IMG]
    @DeBeards

btw imho its easier first to get rid of silas then rush with the wood trade....coaches of his caliber are dime a dozen... wood is precious and talented lets first get a look at him with a capable coach

DeBeards likes this.