1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sengun>Mobley

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by juanming, Dec 9, 2021.

1. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Net ratings so far:

2 man lineup of Wood/Sengun net rating: -13.7 over 150 minutes this season
    3 man lineup of Wood/Sengun/Tate net rating: -14.3 over 66 minutes this season
    3 man lineup of Wood/Sengun/Gordon net rating: -4.5 over 91 minutes this season

This all looks bleak on the surface because Wood is our best scoring threat and Tate and Gordon are part of the starting lineup. However, let's look at the 4 man lineups with Wood and Sengun:

Wood/Sengun/Tate/Porter net rating: -5.6 over 48 minutes this season
    Wood/Sengun/Porter/Gordon net rating: +4.9 over 48 minutes this season
    Wood/Sengun/Tate/Gordon net rating: -0.1 over 25 minutes this season

5 man lineups:

Wood/Sengun/Gordon/Porter/Tate net rating: +24.9 over 11 minutes this season
    Wood/Sengun/Gordon/Martin/Tate net rating: -10 over 10 minutes this season

The "most used" 5 man lineup that featured both Wood and Sengun was:

Wood/Sengun/Porter/Tate/Green: -14.5 over 31 minutes this season

For me I was always on board with pair both Wood and Sengun together because Sengun is another playmaker on the floor that can make it easier for Wood on the offensive end. I think Silas is going to (rightfully) going with the team that's getting the Ws until it doesn't work anymore which is why Sengun is still on the bench instead of starting. If the Rockets end up keeping Wood over the long run (something I never opposed ;) ), I don't see why Wood and Sengun can't work together successfully, especially with a 4 man lineup of Wood/Sengun/Tate/Porter. Sure that lineup as a -5.6 net rating so far but if you can insert a Mathews or Brooks as a shooter/spacer with that 4 man group over an extended period of time I think it can work.

Ankara1923, hakeem94, treyk3 and 3 others like this.
  2. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

@steddinotayto

imo it’s too low sample size to look at sengun / wood lineups yet .

3. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

LOL, I love this. Celebrate the ironic hype! I'm gonna adopt WHO as my new shorthand for Sengun.

4. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

and that's totally fair. It just adds to the conversation that Silas will need to, eventually, try to play Sengun and Wood together for an extensive period of time because it's still, at worst, unproven to be a bad combo or, best, could result in a new starting lineup option.

anchel and snowconeman22 like this.
  5. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Okay, I apologize for them as they have never seen Olajuwon other than the stoic one sitting courtside.

Turks are not white, they are Eurasian.

Will likes this.
  6. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

That's a Mobley-Sized IF!

7. AlperenSengun

AlperenSengun Member

The problem with the Wood/Sengun line-ups so far is that they have not figured out how to play it. These line-ups have not benefitted from the playmaking of sengun so far. Even when they have a positive rating, it did not come from using them together. To the contrary, they suffered from having Sengun on the court because they did not use him at all.

hakeem94 and aaquaa like this.
  8. aaquaa

aaquaa Member

That's racist. I'm light pink.

daywalker02 likes this.
  9. bj3175

bj3175 Member

Mobley is a nice player but he also has a very good point guard setting the table for him. On our team Sengun Sets the table for everyone and eats to.

hakeem94 and aaquaa like this.
  10. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

:)

More of a geographical term but good to know.

Normally there is more than 1 ethnicity.

Being Euro is being more than White.

11. aaquaa

aaquaa Member

1/2 Albanian + 1/4 Tartar + 1/4 Arab = me. Turk. Go figure.

hakeem94 and daywalker02 like this.
  12. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

You have not been here too long.

The joke is that being Euro is more than being white.

Also more of an ode to the playing style, lifestyle which should be far more complex.

aaquaa likes this.
  13. NewAge

NewAge Member

Tartar? Hahaha…

14. NewAge

NewAge Member

Thanks for looking those up. The 4-man lineup Wood/Sengun/Tate/Porter is -5.6 in 48 minutes, but in 31 of those the 5th man was Jalen "the +/- Poison" Green. So you’re right, add a Gordon/Brooks/Matthews as 5th and that’s a workable lineup.

hakeem94 likes this.
  15. aaquaa

aaquaa Member

Yup. The very proud and very vindictive riders of the steppes who never have regard for human life.
    That's my blood, yeah.

16. D-rock

D-rock Member

Not fouling while playing elite D is what makes a 7 footer like Mobley special.

Sengun is special in other ways.

17. D-rock

D-rock Member

Mining gold now:

Sub Mathews for Tate (or Gordon) and we will be celebrating even more.

Silas needs to trust his analytics.

hakeem94 likes this.
  18. treyk3

treyk3 Member

Very well researched.

You present the data very well.

Let's take a step back and do a surface level analysis of those two figures.

150 Minutes with Wood/Sengun as a 2 man lineup.
    66 Minutes with Wood/Sengun/Tate as a 3 man lineup.

150-66 = 84 Minutes with Wood and Sengun but no Tate at the 3.

-13.7 over 150
    -14.3 over 66

In a very very broad sense this tells you in the 84 minutes Wood and Sengun share the court with no Tate they are a + .6 per 100 possessions ! It's almost like the Rockets should give them time to see if those two can co-exist because it means a lot to the future decisions of the FO.

Tate is not a traditional SF and he is definitely a non-traditional big. He cannot space, his passing is vastly overrated but he is serviceable there. He will get you 50/50 balls and he will cut to the hoop and find a way to put the ball in the hoop. On defense Tate is a 1-5 and that outweighs his awkwardness on offense.

The Rockets need to realize this if someone without any background in analytics or basketball like myself realizes this. Even in position-less basketball players occupying a similar portion of the court to another player tends to reduce their value on the court at any given time.

Maybe Tate and Wood share the court to start the game and Sengun fills in while one of those two sit, but all three should never share the court together unless Tate miraculously becomes a 35% 3P shooter.

steddinotayto and D-rock like this.
  19. NewAge

NewAge Member

Haha, interesting. I always thought that these people were called Tatars, while TaRtar is just a mayonnaise-based sauce…

But now I checked, and the people also can be called Tartar.

What you said about vindictiveness and disregard to human life, that’s a very interesting subject, I read a very illuminating paper recently. It is direct consequence of the herder lifestyle. Since stealing livestock in the steppes was very easy, the only way for society to function was to have a justice system that is extremely brutal and vindictive towards perpetrators. While farming tribes could protect property through other means (i.e. fencing), they evolved to be less violent and vindictive….

20. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

[​IMG]