1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sengun == Luis Scola?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by OremLK, Apr 3, 2023.

1. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Don't talk about the ship when you can't get close to the playoffs.

2. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

I can see it but his defense and 3pt shooting is way more promising. Scola's career high is .6 blocks in 32 minutes, not comparable. Passing obviously better.

You can say he's a better version of Scola on both ends.

EDIT: Now that I think about it, Sengun is a better rebounder too. Scola had better midrange game. I'm not sure they have anything in common but crafty post moves.

3. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Exactly right, it's the only thing (and they have a similar complexion, which is where I really think that comparison comes from). And really the only thing where Scola (whom I love) was better was midrange jump shots.

HardenReturns likes this.
  4. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

DMo was more like Scola with that finesse game and range. Sengun is like Domantas Sabonis with that extremely physical low post game and deft passing.

5. apollo33

apollo33 Member

I don't think it's a bad comparison, but Scola was a pretty sick player with a really consistent and established game. I think he came into the league too late and only had 2-3 years in his prime. I think if he got into the league at 19, he'd be a rock and a true 3rd option on any championship team.

Sengun is much flashier, and but is still trying to find himself in the NBA.

Mathloom and anthony59237 like this.
  6. Roomba

Roomba Member
    Supporting Member

I’m a humongous Scola fan so I’m definitely biased—but a more athletic Scola with unreal passing vision would be one hell of a player.

and it just so happens there’s this young Turkish fella in Houston….

7. maj21

maj21 Member

Warriors like bigs that can play D and switch

8. albuster

albuster Member

Like Andrew Bogut?

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  9. groovemachine

groovemachine Member

His knees were shot at that point if I recall. 20 year old Sengun and 20 year old Webber are more similar than Sengun/Scola.

10. lakersuck2

lakersuck2 Member

You know who's a pretty good comp to Sengun that never gets brought up? Chris Webber. They operate in the same spots, great passing, high skill. Way closer to Sengun than Scola is.

clos4life, Mathloom, Kevooooo and 3 others like this.
  11. RocketsDraftTV

2x all star David Lee is his comp. Decent player but definitely not the best player on a 50 plus win team

12. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Alpi will be better next year than David Lee in his best year ever.

And he will still be a year younger than David Lee was when he even entered the league.

13. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

The more I watch Sengun the less this comp holds up. Scola was the scoopman deluxe but Sengun has a way bigger post repertoire. Scola was also cash money on that 18ft behind the free throw line shot, Sengun is way hesitant on any jumper. Scola was a position defender who took charges and flopped a lot. Sengun goes for blocks.

Mathloom and AroundTheWorld like this.
  14. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

There are certainly stark differences, but to me, it’s the foot work and the ability to rebound while not being bigger, stronger, or a vertical. And while he doesn’t scoop, he has a million fakes before he has a quick decisive finish. He’s shifty. Scola was shifty.

If he adds a good 18 foot jumper, let alone a 3 pointer, dude will be unguardable. Really hope he works on his jumper this off-season.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  15. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

Scola knew how to play team basketball, Sengun is just in the beginning stage Y

16. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

Not sure where you get this comp, though it’s been a while so maybe I’ve forgotten. I remember Lee being a cleanup guy. Just always fighting and getting put backs. Did he have a good back to the basket game? Genuinely can’t recall.

17. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

I don’t agree that he’s “way closer” but I think he’s somewhere in between. Webber was more athletic. Mannn imagine Sengun in Adelman’s system.

18. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

Sengun is definitely strong though, he's bodied up lots of season vets. Maybe I just don't remember Scola was a lifetime ago but I never thought he was a power player.

19. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

Oh I just meant Scola and Sengun both aren’t as big and strong as other centers but still found ways to rebound. Not that Scola was stronger than Scola. Probably about the same — though Scola was 42 when he played here. He had that old man strength.

and it’s not like Sengun “powers through” players. When guys go for strips he doesn’t bring them up with them. He either gets fouled or they strip him successfully. He’s not taking anyone to the rim.

He and Scola both have strong bases and legs. Which is what allows them to back people down. Different kind of strength.

Dankstronaut likes this.
  20. riko

riko Member

Scola had much better footwork in the post. But sengun has him beat as a passer and offensive overall awareness