1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sengun == Luis Scola?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by OremLK, Apr 3, 2023.

1. ramotadab

ramotadab Member

He can be our Turkish Ice Cream Man

2. Ankara1923

Ankara1923 Member

'21 draft was a joke, the best players were drafted out of top 5: Franz Wagner, Josh Kiddey, Alperen Sengun.
    The post based to value Alp as #16pick and compared an average #16 pick to L.Scola, a very good player for #56 pick.

L.Scola was good enough to be drafted mid 1st round, not #56, Alp is good enough to be drafted top 3 picks, not #16. That is the difference.

HardenReturns and AroundTheWorld like this.
  3. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

OP did you even consider that they don't dunk at the same rate?

Throw out the entire comparison - a difference has been found between the two players. Do u even scout?

OremLK and fryjol7 like this.
  4. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Scola also came to the NBA as a rookie at 27 years old, Sengun is only 20, so he has a great chance to pass where Scola peaked.

DD

5. fryjol7

fryjol7 Member

Thats a great comparison, on many levels.

Scola is not only a great Rocket who left everything on the court everytime he played. For 45 win teams for more context. He was a winner and an awarded player at every stop, an olympic GOLD medal winner on the 2000s. And after that, he has kept expanding the game of basketball.

And just like Sengun, some nights you got yourself to the game motivated by a foreigner, working the post, playing the game the right way, making passes, elevating his team no matter the place in standings. I don't think if its worth to spend time talking about the differences, I would say a majority would agree Sengun has a higher ceiling. But I believe we would be lucky to have someone with Scola's heart and overall level of care here. I dont think you would be able to tank this bad if we had someone like him.

HardenReturns and TheJet like this.
  6. omgTHEpotential

A lot of underrating of Scola in this thread. I personally think Sengun is not at Scola's level YET. And I'm not even talking about FIBA Scola where he was on par with NBA superstars.

7. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

[​IMG]

ramotadab likes this.
  8. conquistador#11

Need one of those fancy Venn diagrams.
    The creativity in the post is similar. Footwork both are elite.
    Alpi is sneaky athletic. Scola could never be a hub to an offense.
    Alpi can't pull off that long silky hair look . Both never committed a foul in their lives. Both never got the whistle like they deserved.
    "Jump" shot, Scola was a real dr. drain.

[​IMG]

9. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

This.

Scola was FIBA LBJ.

Or at least FIBA Anthony Davis.

10. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I realized that Scola's feet were more fluid.

While Alpe relied heavily on fakes and more fakes, Scola went the direct way a lot more.

11. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

The passing/playmaking gap is so wide it's hard for me to get on board with this comparison. There are a couple similarities but in general I don't see it.

12. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

There have been plenty of Scola and Sengun comparisons. Loved Scola here and everything he's done since.

Scola's shooting is 100x better than Sengun. But everything else on offense is better for Sengun.

I don't know if Sengun will ever be a good shooter. He has an absurdly slow release and clearly does not have confidence in shooting outside of maybe 5 feet. Draymond shoots like he's wearing a backpack; Sengun shoots like he's wearing ankle weights.

OremLK likes this.
  13. OremLK

OremLK Member

Scola was a good passer for a big man! Not as flashy and creative as Sengun, but it was definitely a positive side of his game.

In any case, no comp is perfect, and I definitely agree with everyone saying he has more potential to unlock. I just keep watching Sengun play and being reminded of that Rockets era. Loved that scrappy crew with Brooks, Lowry, Ariza, Battier, Scola, Landry, Hayes... Probably my favorite non-playoff Rockets team ever. This group of young kids could learn a thing or two from that team.

14. groovemachine

groovemachine Member

Sengun is more athletic by far, the comp I keep going back to is Chris Webber.

15. fryjol7

fryjol7 Member

And to make matter worse, those were the guys trying to school us on international basketball. People who cant even compare Scola in the proper context.
    We have a post a couple of scrolls up, comparing draft positions without any additional context.

Guys, chat gpt is free, its clear you are using google to compare draft positions, add additional context to your "encyclopedic knowledge"

16. HardenReturns

HardenReturns Member

Webber relied too much on his midrange game in his later years, to the point of costing the Kings a championship.
    I hope Sengun knows better than that.

groovemachine likes this.
  17. Rochut

Rochut Member

Well at this time Sengun has zero mid-range game, so unlikely for this to be the reason the Rockets don't get the chip!

HardenReturns and harold bingo like this.
  18. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Because he is smart and shoots a very high percentage near the basket. Under Morey, mid-range was almost forbidden.

19. TheJet

TheJet Member

Maybe I'm being nostalgic, but I remember Webber being athletic as hell. He was a monster on both sides of the ball.

He'll forever be remember for that timeout debacle though.

groovemachine likes this.
  20. Ankara1923

Ankara1923 Member

1.Time-out
    2.Hopeless face when Robert Horry of Lakers did that 3 in Western Conference Finals against Kings. Championship gone.

TheJet likes this.