1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Sengun Kicking Ass

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Swapshop, Mar 29, 2022.

1. Swapshop

Swapshop Member

2. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Reminded of:

upload_2022-3-29_9-10-34.png

Attached Files:

3. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

4. J.R.

J.R. Member

But is he taking names?

5. VanityHalfBlack

Kick his ass Sengun, hell yeah!

Tfor3 likes this.
  6. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

kıç tekmeleyen adam

aaquaa, Sengun and Tfor3 like this.
  7. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Would want to see some big ass.

8. topfive

topfive CF OG

9. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

He’s a very flexible guy for a big. We know about his passing talent, post skills and high BBall IQ. He’s a good rebounder. We know he’s a willing defender but it’s gonna take some work. But I’m starting to see him really get his feet set and stroking nice shots. If he can add deep range as another tool, this guy has a chance to be special. I keep thinking, this guy is 19, I wonder how good he’s gonna be when he’s 25. He’s a core building block as far as I’m concerned.

fattz, AroundTheWorld, Moe and 6 others like this.
  10. T for 3

T for 3 Member

Sengun and Christopher are looking like winning picks, with their floors being solid rotational guys. I give Stone a lot of credit for that.

Green’s timeline is different, and a ruling on him should come later, but his development post all star break is EXTREMELY encouraging.

11. burlesk

burlesk Serious business
    Supporting Member

Imagine if he could JUMP at all -- scary

12. buzz1701

buzz1701 Contributing Member

I really love Sengun's game but does he have to foul every single time a player trys to score at the rim? Is it in his contract?
    No really, once he figures out how to defend without fouling every time, he will be a MVP candidate.

13. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

I don't think I have half of that hamstring flexibility.

14. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

Are you implying that Sengun and Christopher are better than Green right now? I hope not, because that is most definitely NOT the case. Agree on Sengun and Christopher being winning picks(REALLY excited about Christopher - looking like the steal of the draft next to Sengun) but I can't imagine a scenario where Green is not a winning pick as well. I can see how people would prefer Mobley (or even Barnes who has 'Kawhi' potential as a 2 way guy) over Green but Green is still a potential scoring champ as a floor based on what he is doing right now(scoring easily and efficiently with just raw talent) and Mobley a potential DPOY based on what we have seen. All still have quite a ceiling to explore but I don't think ANY of them are bad picks - just strategic decisions based on how you want to build a team or what better complemented the core you had. For instance, I hear Detroit was more into Mobley but they already had a few decent 4s so Cade was the better pick for what they needed.

15. J.R.

J.R. Member

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Just doing vertical splits
    [​IMG]

16. T for 3

T for 3 Member

No, that's not what I implied (or meant to imply).

When I say Green is on a different timeline, I mean he was picked with the expectation that he will turn into cornerstone type player. Because of this, a definitive statement can't be made on the success of the pick yet, since it will take another season (or more) to have an idea if he's going to be a cornerstone type player.

With Sengun and Christopher (especially Sengun), based on where they were picked, I think a definitive statement can be made that they were successful picks. In my opinion, those guys have cemented themselves as legit NBA talent at worst, and given their draft position you shouldn't be expecting a floor higher than that.

I am not saying that I'm not exited about Green's progress, or that he hasn't shown signs that he could develop into that cornerstone talent. He's on a good trajectory.

By my logic, I would also say you shouldn't make a definitive statement on Mobley, Cunningham, or Barnes either, to be clear.

I remember when Tyreke Evans won rookie of the year with Sacramento in 2009 as the 4th overall pick. That was the high point of his career.

#16 T for 3, Mar 29, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2022
  17. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

Gotcha - thanks for clarifying.

The way I see it the draft yields 5 types of first round players:
    long term starters of various talent(superstars, all stars, can be a starter on most teams)
    long term rotational players (6th men/rotational pieces - maybe guys who can be starters on some teams but not most)
    players who have enough promise to be on NBA roster for 5 or 6 years until the promise runs out
    players who never see a 2nd contract
    players who have careers arcs impacted from injuries

...would be cool to see the percentage of the first two vs the rest of the field - maybe average/high/low to get a sense of variance in draft years. It does seem like Green/Sengun/Christopher all fall into the first two - Green is likely in the first one but I could see Sengun and maybe even Christopher being there too.

T for 3 likes this.
  18. AlperenSengun

AlperenSengun Member

I think Green and Sengun are definitely in the first group, and Christopher is very likely to be in the first. However it is less clear what position or what role on the court will maximize Sengun’s talents compared to the other two.Hope he meets the right coach for this job and his talents are not underutilized.

hakeem94 likes this.
  19. T for 3

T for 3 Member

Yeah, based on those categories I could see all three fitting into the first two, and if you want to call any pick that falls within the first two a success, I have no issue with that.

Where we might disagree a little bit is the standard for calling a number two pick a successful pick. If Green ends up as a guy who can start on most teams (the last criteria of the first category), I would say it wasn't a successful pick, but also not a disastrous failure.

I agree with the majority of your take, though.

glimmertwins and hakeem94 like this.
  20. kevcai

kevcai Member

Just wanted to share this...Tate didn't catch it cleanly but omg Sengun is a crazy genius for even trying this