1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Selling on eBay : Worth it?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Hippieloser, Feb 8, 2006.

1. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

So, I've never used eBay before, but I have a fairly large "collection" of comic books that I haved cared about since I was about 14 just sitting around my house and I want them gone. I'm not expecting to make much more than maybe $100 from the chunk I'm interested in selling on eBay, so my question is: Is it worth the trouble? It seems like I'd have to set up a PayPal account and a bunch of crap I'm unfamiliar with just to get some pocket change here. I'd like to get these books into the hands of someone who actually values them, but does the fun/reward of using eBay justify the hassle? I don't plan on regularly using eBay or anything, so is there any use in setting up a PayPal account, or am I better off just using these old Star Trek comics to roll joints?

Some advice, please. And remember, I'm in no way expecting a big return on these things.

2. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

In all honesty you would probably get better value on your comics at a convention.

3. boomer83

boomer83 Contributing Member

if anything is less than $30 an item, it is not worth selling, cause you have $6 for posting an auction, about $1-3 in paypal fees, and then if you want good shipping you have to usually dish another $5 bucks from your pocket(including the shipping the buyer pays), so thats anywhere from 10-15 dollars of fees u pay for, and sometimes the item doesnt sell

so no, for small items dont use ebay, unless you're a large scale seller

and given that you've never used it before, not many people will bid on your items

4. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

Unless you have lots of things to sell.

5. boomer83

unless you're a large scale seller

6. Hippieloser

Well, I wouldn't be selling the books individually, but rather as sets. But there's no guarantee that I'd get any more than $30 for the entire group I want to sell, so I'll probably take your advice. Thanks

7. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

8. tolne57

tolne57 Contributing Member

You could always try Craigslist. No fee to post a listing.

9. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

eBay sucks...

10. Hippieloser

double post sorry

11. Hippieloser

Ok, I'll check it out. Thanks. Are there any other suggestions on how I might unload these things over the web? I'm not as interested in the money as I am in simply getting them to a collector who would enjoy them.

12. MR. MEOWGI

MR. MEOWGI Contributing Member

You dont have to take Paypal on Ebay (unless that's changed). You can just accpet money orders and personal checks. If it's a heavy shipment charge a bunch for shipping.

13. boomer83

you dont have to, but you wont get as many bidders,
    and one thing if you go the money order way, make it a point to only accept USPS money orders, because if anyone tampers with them it's considered a federal offense

14. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

Brah,

get in touch with me...Ill get my wife to sell em through her Ebay account, adn split the profits.

15. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

why on earth would you ever pay for shipping if you're the one selling the item?

16. boomer83

packaging and such, and then you insure the item, so it comes out to a little more than you charge the buyer, and if you put the shipping price too high you won't have as many bidders,

i've doing business on ebay since 01 and have a perfect rating, so im just telling from my own experiences

17. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

USPS automatically insures packages under 100, packaging isnt *that* expensive, and so far from what we have seen...the shipping amount autocalculated on EBay(which the buyer pays) has been 4 or 5 bucks more than what it really cost to ship the item

more than enough to make up for the cost of packaging materials.

18. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

Dude, you are losing money if your doing it that way. Me and the wife have been selling well over 3 years now and our shipping charge includes all our cost, never had to sell money out of our pockets to ship something. We also have perfect feedback.

19. boomer83

oh my god

i said i was telling from my experiences, most of the items i sold were $200+, and yes packaging is that expensive unless you want a half-a** job on it

and on his comics shipping will prob be around 25-30 bucks cause of the weight of selling them as a set

on average UPS charges me 8-10 a pound, for their better fares

20. Hippieloser

Thanks for all the help, guys. With the small quantity of stuff that I want to sell versus the shipping costs and low value of the "collectibles," I don't think eBay is the right way for me to go. I'll try Craigslist and if that doesn't pan out I'll haul these suckers up to the comics shop.

Just out of curiousity, for you guys that sell on eBay a lot, what is it that you're selling?