1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sell!!!

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by hlmbasketball, Oct 26, 2021.

1. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Educate if you will.

2. Buck Turgidson

DonnyMost likes this.
  3. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

4. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Catch him on tape saying the N-word. That would get the league involved. China virus? Not so much. Trumpers will Trump.

5. Buck Turgidson

Oh I know it originated in Kansas, I was merely pointing out why it was called the Spanish Flu (which is why I only quoted that portion of your post). Had nothing to do with anything derogatory toward Spain.

Verbal Christ and DonnyMost like this.
  6. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

It was used by President Racist Trump as a slur.

7. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Well it was used to ridicule Spain for not entering the war by those engaged. Derogatory may have been a poor word choice, but the effect of calling it the "Spanish Flu" was desired from those countries that were upset that Spain was remaining neutral. I think we can both agree it was not meant as a term of endearment. Spain being the "first to report" only because they still had a working press and then being saddled by the term just doesn't seem to encapsulate the real ramifications of these word choices. Basically everyone just pointing the finger at each other since be labeled as the origin of a new and suddenly deadly outbreak was not necessarily something that was deemed a positive.

In both of these instances the unfair stigmatization of the people affected by "simple words" is obvious.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  8. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Wtf is going on in this thread?

Thread title is "sell" so I figured it would be about McNair needing to sell the team, but only see talk about racism and infectious diseases. Y'all are ruined.

Rudyc281 and cmoak1982 like this.
  9. Buck Turgidson

JFC, what is there to talk about re: the Texans?

10. CVcrew

CVcrew Contributing Member

You know the president personally and we’re able to validate this?

11. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

We could discuss starting a GoFundMe to help some billionaire buy the team from the McNairs?

Not gonna lie I quit following this team some years ago. Don't even know the coach's name

Buck Turgidson and Fulgore like this.
  12. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

You didn't have to actually write out an asian slur to make your point.

13. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Its been like a nonstop end credit scene of the Benny Hill Show.

14. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Too funny! (but painfully true)

https://www.thedrawplay.com/comic/just-stop-watching-texans-fans/

[​IMG]

Mr.Scarface likes this.
  15. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

It's racist. The best and most simplistic way I can explain it is, let's say your name is John but instead of me calling you John, I call you Fat John or Black, White or Mexican John.

It's racist

16. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

It's 100% that cheesedick Jack Easterby. Everything Caserio has said and done gives out the total opposite energy from those tweets.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  17. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

I just had Chinese food today #notRassist - I should have stated the exact name of the entrée but I just said Chinese food- Do I need to sell my truck now?

btw I don’t call covid the China virus because it’s insensitive and I care about others but as much as I think We want any and all reason to have a Salem witch style condemnation so he “sells” - that won’t happen - he did apologize- he likely won’t use the insensitive remark again. Not much to dig beyond that

Rudyc281 and cmoak1982 like this.
  18. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

China virus is definitely racist. People don't realize that racism has changed. It is no longer okay to be overtly racist, you must always have plausible deniability when saying racist remarks nowadays. It allows you to still degrade people while not getting "canceled" over it.

Imagine we split apart two groups of people, one is racist and one is not racist. Which group would you guess is more likely to use the term "china virus", it's the racist group 100%. Again, is it "proof" no, but we will never be able to "prove" racism anymore, people are too smart at hiding it.

19. whag00

whag00 Contributing Member

He probably didn't mean any vitriol by calling it what he called it but by May 2021 everyone knew it was at the very least loaded and controversial...so Cal is definitely guilty of being a dumbass.

He has to understand that as CEO every statement he makes in public is a reflection of the Texans.

ROXRAN and cmoak1982 like this.
  20. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member